Quantcast

***Sunday GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
AC couldn't even remotely keep up yesterday, noting that it was 97 outside. Kids rooms were up to 84 degrees, and downstairs was up to 76 even when set at 67... A HVAC service guy is coming on Monday to check it out. I made a deal with the landlord that if the system is working as designed (but just sucks by design) then I'll pay the service fee.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
AC couldn't even remotely keep up yesterday, noting that it was 97 outside. Kids rooms were up to 84 degrees, and downstairs was up to 76 even when set at 67... A HVAC service guy is coming on Monday to check it out. I made a deal with the landlord that if the system is working as designed (but just sucks by design) then I'll pay the service fee.
Heat rises cold sinks try turning on upstairs bathroom exhaust fan to remove hot air out of house rather than trying to cool the air down
Also limit the use of BTU producing appliances lights, computers, tv

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Heat rises cold sinks try turning on upstairs bathroom exhaust fan to remove hot air out of house rather than trying to cool the air down
We have the downstairs vents closed and the upstairs open. The area around the second bathroom centrally on the second floor isn't that hot. The kids rooms, facing south, are the ones that cook. This is even with both blackout curtains and jerry-rigged reflective windshield protector things trying to limit the solar gain...

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
We have the downstairs vents closed and the upstairs open. The area around the second bathroom centrally on the second floor isn't that hot. The kids rooms, facing south, are the ones that cook. This is even with both blackout curtains and jerry-rigged reflective windshield protector things trying to limit the solar gain...
General rule of figuring AC An office environment is 1 ton of cooling per 350 sqft a restaraunt is 1 ton per 250 sq ft ask your service guy how many ton of cooling the system is and do the math see if you have enough
. also check your filter take the garden hose and rinse out the coil (the radiator looking part of the outside compressor housing if air is restricted it won't cool well either

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I was going to go do a bunch of stuff but it would seem that I am exhausted from 29 straight days of work. I splept for 11 hours last night. I think I will take the kayak and cold beverage and go float on the lake in a shaded cove

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's only making them stronger....

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
bet the attic insulation is marginal and the upstairs is getting cooked through the ceiling by heat in the attic space
Exactly
Even if it's insulated properly you need to put those Styrofoam baffels in where the roof meets exterior wall and overhang for ventilation so your R-30 drops to R.05 with the 1/2" polystyrene

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Overnight t-storms meant hero dirt this morning.
Nothing makes the world right like beating on my bike.
Post-ride beer in hand then taking the kids to swim in the ocean.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
...1 ton per 250 sq ft... also check your filter, take the garden hose and rinse out the coil (the radiator looking part of the outside compressor housing if air is restricted it won't cool well either
This. Your condenser (the outside radiator thingy) needs sufficient airflow to function properly. Make sure its not covered in plants/other random shit. Check the outdoor fan to see if its spinning normally.

Shutting down registers can have a detrimental effect on your systems ability to function by reducing the airflow over the indoor coil. Open all them registers and see if it makes a difference. AC systems should be designed to function on the extreme days and to not work so hard the rest. 97 degrees shouldn't be a system killer unless the designer is a dunce.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
This rental house was done on the cheap. 2 x 4" walls with probably code-minimum insulation, etc., which is not great considering it was built in, what, 2005? The filter was last changed by me 5 days ago and there isn't a bunch of crap obstructing the compressor outside. HVAC dude comes tomorrow morning and we shall see what he says (possibly SIUP, eh?).

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
He likely says, your compressor went tits up and needs to be replaced.
That'd be just fine with me. I won't be so keen on such failures once I'm the one listed on the title (when the new house gets done in <6 mo).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
He likely says, your compressor went tits up and needs to be replaced.
"Sorry sir, its the compressor. It went tits up."

On the service report the technician will check the tits up box.

When he gets back to the shop the technician will explain to his boss that it went tits up and his boss will understand its the compressor....

After the crash my brake lever went tits up. Can I say that it's tits up or does that only apply to compressors??

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Wound up at the deschutes brewery last night. Was a little "cattle class", but alright.

Went to the kids museum (which was great), then the zoo (which was pretty fun) today.

Now we want to find somewhere we can get takeout pizza. It's too hipster for that in this area, apparently.

Maybe I'll go with the neck tattoo and heroin tonight.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Wound up at the deschutes brewery last night. Was a little "cattle class", but alright.

Went to the kids museum (which was great), then the zoo (which was pretty fun) today.

Now we want to find somewhere we can get takeout pizza. It's too hipster for that in this area, apparently.

Maybe I'll go with the neck tattoo and heroin tonight.
Most real Junkies only think they are going through a rough spot. Whereas someone with a neck tat has resigned from life already. No junky would ever waste cash on ink. Most likely they came into addiction post ink....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Most real Junkies only think they are going through a rough spot. Whereas someone with a neck tat has resigned from life already. No junky would ever waste cash on ink. Most likely they came into addiction post ink....
You're the last person I'd argue with over such things, so I'll take your word for it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First ride in over three weeks, not counting
Heroin addiction and neck tattoos aren't generally owned by the same connoisseur, but both are specialties of Portland. I makes sense for a visitor to experience all that the town can offer.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Stupid hot today in Livermore, over 110* with really smokey skies from all the wildfires so I decided to go do something stupid and hot, like kayaking at Lake Del Valle for 5 hours in the mid day sun. It was only 107* on the water.

I took four packets of GU, one cliff bar and 4 240z Gatoraids in a ice chest ( drank them all). I did a full circumnavigation of the lake hugging the shoreline and hitting hitting every cove and bay. Trolled a lure behind the Kayak just for giggles knowing full well 99% of the fish were going to be way deep in cooler water than I could reach. Max depth I saw was 133 feet.

Stopped twice to stretch out and swim to cool off and used an empty water bottle to douse myself with lake water every five to ten minutes. I think I kayaked somewhere between 10 and 12 miles. I am fried, muscles are toast, a wee bit dehydrated, stupid grin on my face. Fun pushing this 58 year old body to the edge every now and then.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Got in a short evening ride but felt like crap. Now I feel worse, I guess someone gave me a bit of extra DNA/RNA recently. If this tasty gin'n'tonic does not work, I am doomed.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
You stopped on Beehive didn't you ?

Fucking little bastards. I've been stung a few times already this year. They seem to be a lot worse this year for some reason.
nope, but beehive sure is an easy to get to favorite (although raiders remains my all time favorite trail in wilsons). today we poached beacon heights off the blue ridge pkwy and took it to yancey all the way into edgemont, where my buddy has a house (the trail literally dumps out 1/8 mile from his doorstep, and you can chill in wilson creek on the way there if you want).
yellowf*ckers were right near the end of yancey just before the final descent. friend was camped at the top of 21 jumps. his wife shuttled us to the top. over the course of the ride only 1000' climbing and 4000' descending.