Quantcast

***Sunday GMT***

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
But if the reach is < 500mm and the HA is > 65 degrees isn't it an XC bike now?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
That's a lot of vertical for 500 miles. I am a little over 1.1k m / 130k ft vertical this year, all on dirt, ice or short pavement trips to those.

Neat. What color was it?

But how does it jump?
yellow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's a lot of vertical for 500 miles. I am a little over 1.1k m / 130k ft vertical this year, all on dirt, ice or short pavement trips to those.

Neat. What color was it?

But how does it jump?
I've only got 44k of vert in less than 250 miles.:(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My trails suck.
Well look at it this way. You may have a better return on climbing investment. I can climb for over an hour, and be back at the bottom in 15 minutes on some trails.
People with skills do it in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My experience on my frame (rfx) aaaaand I'm slow as fuck, so grain of salt and all of that...

Traction is better than I'd ever felt with any other shock. The biggest eye opener when I first got it was climbing. My bike hooks up on everything out here and we do have some chunky climbs that aren't easy.

Descending is amazing especially if used to any air shock, and better than other coils I've ridden. Again, traction is great. At 200# riding weight the ride is super compliant yet never seems to bottom, though I know im bottoming.

Parking lot tests would have you believe it's dead and over damped, but it's not. The shock never seems to be overwhelmed by anything. Slow climbing, fast descending, nothing. It does not pop like an air shock but I can jump/pop just fine.

I recently started looking at new frames and being able to run this shock plays into the decision.

Cons. It's heavy. That's it.

I could add its expensive but at this sale price it isn't. I have one valve set for trail riding and the other for park, and set rebound pretty fast and based on conditions.
1. Bullshit on slow. You just happen to ride with a bunch of former semi-pro/pro riders who you are comparatively* slow to.

2. @dan-o If it fit on my bike, I would have it already. Everything Nick has told me I should try (bike, ski, etc) has been beyond impressive. When Nick says "best shock he's ever ridden", because he's ridden them all, it's worth listening.

*Even then, that's a very loose description. I'd love to see what would happen if we dropped you into a Master's race.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've only got 44k of vert in less than 250 miles.:(
I'll be getting in some serious vert starting in Spring. Thru Hiking the Appalachian Trail has an elevation gain of over 464,000 ft., the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest from sea level 16 times. I'll either waste away to a frail old man, or build massive legs and tiny arms like a T-rex. But I could be down for some prehistoric, apex predator lizardness.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll be getting in some serious vert starting in Spring. Thru Hiking the Appalachian Trail has an elevation gain of over 464,000 ft., the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest from sea level 16 times. I'll either waste away to a frail old man, or build massive legs and tiny arms like a T-rex. But I could be down for some prehistoric, apex predator lizardness.
There are going to be a lot of lonely nights. I would guess one of your arms will get rather strong.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Evening Monkeys.

Fox says it's $175 guess to fix my fork, I think it would be worth it since I got it so cheap to begin with. Bman was excited to get his pedals for the P3 and I am still on the hunt for an 18 for Lil Man.

I don't think the new pooch will be up for trail rides, but I know she will be down for a hike of shorter distance. The wife doesn't think we will be able to take Frita out now with 3 dogs, but I think it will be manageable. I guess we will find out.

There is an Aprilia Tuono 1000R for sale local that is so dentist level. BST carbon wheels, carbon exhaust hangers, it's nutty. But my heels hit the exhaust, it's the worlds most annoying exhaust design. I so want to like that bike, but I just can't get over the exhaust.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Only reason I didn't get one is because I'm at the upper weight limit of the version for my current frame.

Hmm. You just gave me an idea for a brand of MTB components called Flounder. For the fat drunk and stupid.

Instead of a motto like "I wanna go fast" it would be "I like Money"

The saddle would be called "Oww, My balls"

The DH bike would be called the DillDozer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still think a custom valved monotube shock with a proper shim stack is a better choice than the uber-adjustable poppetry.

A highly adjustable shock does give you the ability to alter according to the terrain. At home I deal with a lot of high speed hits and g-outs. This week is more slow speed tech with lots of square edged rocks. But I do see the value in having an expert set things up for you. It took me weeks to get my base tune squared away, but I guess a lot of that was a steep learning curve.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
A highly adjustable shock does give you the ability to alter according to the terrain. At home I deal with a lot of high speed hits and g-outs. This week is more slow speed tech with lots of square edged rocks. But I do see the value in having an expert set things up for you. It took me weeks to get my base tune squared away, but I guess a lot of that was a steep learning curve.
you ended up with a Ripmo, yes?
did you test ride the HD5 before buying the 9r? Ibis is on my short list as I like DW-bikes and I have a slight hook up, but the HD5 ticks a lot of the same boxes and I can keep my current wheels.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
remember, lots and lots of people get along just fine with air shocks.
I bet you can get your X2 super dialed, especially since you've lost so much weight.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
remember, lots and lots of people get along just fine with air shocks.
I bet you can get your X2 super dialed, especially since you've lost so much weight.
That thing is burning up after a run down Chimney. How do you think a real trail treats it?

Although they did just have to rebuild it on warranty after 6 rides...