Quantcast

***Sunday GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Renovations finally complete. Good lord is it nice to have my own bathroom and shower again. Maybe next weekend I can actually ride a bike or something? Possible Jury Duty tomorrow. Work today. Bleh.......

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. More cabinets to be installed today. Kittens are, well, kittens. Haley's being grounded is causing problems because the neighbor girls want to come over and play with the kittens. She told them all about her new kittens on the walk to/from school, so they want to come play with them, but Haley's flat out not allowed to have friends over. We might have to have a session for the girls to come over with Haley excluded to her room. She's finally starting to get this concept of just how badly really being grounded sucks. Especially since she's 2 of 3 weeks in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here. More cabinets to be installed today. Kittens are, well, kittens. Haley's being grounded is causing problems because the neighbor girls want to come over and play with the kittens. She told them all about her new kittens on the walk to/from school, so they want to come play with them, but Haley's flat out not allowed to have friends over. We might have to have a session for the girls to come over with Haley excluded to her room. She's finally starting to get this concept of just how badly really being grounded sucks. Especially since she's 2 of 3 weeks in.
What was the grounding about again? Also 3 weeks of full on grounding seems like a lot of an 8 year old.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What was the grounding about again? Also 3 weeks of full on grounding seems like a lot of an 8 year old.
It started with how she was treating her sister, which was pretty viscous and mean. Condescending, yanking things out of her hands, just generally being nasty for the sake of being nasty. She got dozens of warnings that if she didn't start being nice(r) to her sister she was going to lose privileges and get grounded. It didn't get better and one night she was particularly bad, despite being told to stop she kept it up, so week 1. She then proceeded to stomp by slam the door enough that a picture fell, which was a +1 day. Opened it up and slammed it again +1 day. "I fucking hate you" That's 2 weeks. "I hate you and hope you fucking die" That's 3 weeks. Keep it coming... That's when she realized she had thoroughly fucked up and hid under her pillow and started crying.

So... we're 2 of 3 weeks in. I"m normally really, REALLY lenient about things. Especially after growing up with a dad who would whoop my ass after doing just about anything bad (yeah for Midwest farm upbringing) and knowing stress causes seizures my fts levels are pretty high before I start to care.

edit: there was a birthday party for one of the kids in her class last Saturday that we let her earn the time to go, based on good behavior and showing us that she knows how to treat her sister. She did it and was nice to her all week, without knowing that she was going to earn the time - she just knew that being nice and getting better might scrub time off the end, but going the other way reverses earned time.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I read squeeb’s post of being done with renovations as from Stoney and was confused as it’ll never be done, will it

Today I work 5-10 pm. Will attack my Monday morning work pile so as to be able to wander in nice and late.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It started with how she was treating her sister, which was pretty viscous and mean. Condescending, yanking things out of her hands, just generally being nasty for the sake of being nasty. She got dozens of warnings that if she didn't start being nice(r) to her sister she was going to lose privileges and get grounded. It didn't get better and one night she was particularly bad, despite being told to stop she kept it up, so week 1. She then proceeded to stomp by slam the door enough that a picture fell, which was a +1 day. Opened it up and slammed it again +1 day. "I fucking hate you" That's 2 weeks. "I hate you and hope you fucking die" That's 3 weeks. Keep it coming... That's when she realized she had thoroughly fucked up and hid under her pillow and started crying.

So... we're 2 of 3 weeks in. I"m normally really, REALLY lenient about things. Especially after growing up with a dad who would whoop my ass after doing just about anything bad (yeah for Midwest farm upbringing) and knowing stress causes seizures my fts levels are pretty high before I start to care.

edit: there was a birthday party for one of the kids in her class last Saturday that we let her earn the time to go, based on good behavior and showing us that she knows how to treat her sister. She did it and was nice to her all week, without knowing that she was going to earn the time - she just knew that being nice and getting better might scrub time off the end, but going the other way reverses earned time.
Ah must have missed that. I still don't know if I would have done 3 weeks of grounding, but your kid is older than mine, and I also know this has been an on going issue / escalation.

We've been having issues with our kids fighting as well, and usually loss of a preferred activity or item (bikes/bike rides, books, etc) sets them straight.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I read squeeb’s post of being done with renovations as from Stoney and was confused as it’ll never be done, will it

Today I work 5-10 pm. Will attack my Monday morning work pile so as to be able to wander in nice and late.
I just replaced the timer switch for our attic fan and I feel like bob fuckin vila.

Time to go work on the garden.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

The list is getting much shorter. Baseboards for upstairs, painting in 3.5 upstairs and all new baseboards, having a structural support put in underneath the stairs for the deck (doesn't need it, but it bowing pretty badly), then we're going to xeriscape about half of the front yard. That's pretty much it. My little fuck up with the water leak basically expedited everything Wifey wanted to get done in the house. She still wants her "dream" bathroom, but that's not happening for a long time. There's repairs to be done (damaged blinds), but that's just maintenance where things will be taken to a shop to be done.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Also if my kid dropped an f bomb at me he'd be having irish spring for his next meal.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ah must have missed that. I still don't know if I would have done 3 weeks of grounding, but your kid is older than mine, and I also know this has been an on going issue / escalation.

We've been having issues with our kids fighting as well, and usually loss of a preferred activity or item (bikes/bike rides, books, etc) sets them straight.
For kids in a tight age range that's normal. Haley has some pretty substantial issues with losing only kid status and parent time, which has made her become more and more vindictive to how she handles things with Hannah. I've never gone to this scale before. She's lost a week before, but the level of this whole shit show is what got us here. It seems to be working though. She's playing with her sister a lot nicer and finding alternative solutions when Hannah wants to play with the same toys. If she's doing Lego's, instead of yelling at her, she will go get the Duplo's and tell her that the little Lego's are hers and the Duplo's are Hannah's toys. It's stuff like that that we were trying to get more ingrained and it's starting to reset a bit.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The list is getting much shorter. Baseboards for upstairs, painting in 3.5 upstairs and all new baseboards, having a structural support put in underneath the stairs for the deck (doesn't need it, but it bowing pretty badly), then we're going to xeriscape about half of the front yard. That's pretty much it. My little fuck up with the water leak basically expedited everything Wifey wanted to get done in the house. She still wants her "dream" bathroom, but that's not happening for a long time. There's repairs to be done (damaged blinds), but that's just maintenance where things will be taken to a shop to be done.
:stupid:

Just because our flood project is done, doesn't mean the list of projects around here is "done".

Buy a home they said. :mad:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Also if my kid dropped an f bomb at me he'd be having irish spring for his next meal.
Oh, she swears semi-frequently and in proper context, so whatever. She has been told to not swear and has been generally pretty good about it, though she did drop an f-bomb in class a few months back. We got a call, but it's not against school rule, just highly frowned upon by well... everybody. In this case, it's the way she used it that's the issue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh, she swears semi-frequently and in proper context, so whatever. She has been told to not swear and has been generally pretty good about it, though she did drop an f-bomb in class a few months back. We got a call, but it's not against school rule, just highly frowned upon by well... everybody. In this case, it's the way she used it that's the issue.
I have gotten very good at not swearing around the kids. I started when gray was born, it was an adjustment for sure.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have gotten very good at not swearing around the kids. I started when gray was born, it was an adjustment for sure.
I have gotten better, but meh. If people find it offensive they can take their Puritan-based moral asses elsewhere and fuck off, as I give zero fucks about their opinions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have gotten better, but meh. If people find it offensive they can take their Puritan-based moral asses elsewhere and fuck off, as I give zero fucks about their opinions.
For me it's just more of a convenience to not have to explain ad infinitum why my kid swears.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My work / bike shop has an outside access door under our deck, which is extremely convenient. However, there are no switches for the lights by this door. I just installed a motion activated led shop light by the door so it turns on automatically when I open the door. It is a game changer.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
For me it's just more of a convenience to not have to explain ad infinitum why my kid swears.
I respond with "I don't really give a shit, since unless have some non-religious-based concern for a descriptive or amplifying word, it doesn't fucking matter. What's your justification for having a concern about [xyz word] being "bad" that doesn't have a religious base?" Because the only people that make any comments or care are usually at the school (who run away from that shit like I'm a zombie) or people I don't know/care to know, since they are commenting.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I just replaced the timer switch for our attic fan and I feel like bob fuckin vila.

Time to go work on the garden.
i just cleaned and fixed up the window in our garage that hasn't been touched at least since we moved in 15 years ago. Prolly went through half a roll of paper towels. Now the screen, storm windows, and actual windows all actually work smoothly and holy shit is it brighter in there. :rofl:

Also dug up a stump of a 20yo tree in the side yard that I cut down last week. And planted some veggies and dug holes for other plants teh wife bought.

Feeling inspired...might throw the bike on the stand and tear it down and give it a decent cleaning for the first time since...???

oh, and no way my kids ain't cussing, because according to my mother my third word was "shit"...it cracks me up when the 11yo is wrecking on his bike and i hear him swearing his ass off. they both know pretty much when and where it's appropriate.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I got my dad to start cursing like a sailor when I moved here....my mom to some extent to....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Went to go for a ride. As I got closer to the trails a mild sunny day turned cold and dark and to my surprise conditions were clearly going to be extremely wet. Parking lot was utterly packed and as I went to change my shoes my stomach alerted that it was extremely unhappy, so I said fuckit and turned around for home.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Next cabinet up. Got there and didn't have a drill because MIL brought my whole drill back when I asked her to bring a battery pack. So... Home Depot on the other side of the fence being the closer option, I now have a new Makita drill and impact driver. MIL is paying for it because it's still cheaper than that $500/box to have had them professionally installed.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Welp, nothing like a full-blown constitutional crisis to enliven the day.