Quantcast

***Sunday GMT***

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pack riding is koo koo crazy. I tried a group road ride once and made a maneuver to avoid a crack in the road and took out my friends front wheel. Boom he went and I never did a group road ride again. Riding bikes is supposed to be fun.

I was in a pack of 20 or so people cruising at a good 30+ MPH, double pace line, when a deer came running out of the woods. Some dude in the back saw it and called it out. The pack split and let the deer pass through. No one went down but I suspect a lot of shorts were soiled. This started out as a much bigger group and a few of us decided to put the hammer down to filter out the gomers. I was riding well above my abilities but it was worth it. It would have been a blood bath in that larger group.

The only time I ever went down was on a solo ride when I wasn't paying attention and hit a giant pot hole.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
to bee fair, getting in a good rotation with a crew who knows what's up is pretty friggin fun. Like sustained 35-40mph on flats fun.

It's a different kind of exciting than mountainbiking but it's pretty neat and terrifying in its own way.
Different strokes for different folks! I could see if that was your background and you had a closet of Lycra how much 'fun's could be had.

Being trapped into following a straight line at skin graft speeds sounds terrifying.

I've spent the last 20 years trying to avoid straight lines. Riding streets is for jibbing. Haha

XC mtb races are about as close as I get. I let everyone take off ahead of me and then see how far through the pack I can climb over the course of the race.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Different strokes for different folks! I could see if that was your background and you had a closet of Lycra how much 'fun's could be had.

Being trapped into following a straight line at skin graft speeds sounds terrifying.

I've spent the last 20 years trying to avoid straight lines. Riding streets is for jibbing. Haha

XC mtb races are about as close as I get. I let everyone take off ahead of me and then see how far through the pack I can climb over the course of the race.
I used to live in florida

I sold my road bike within a year of moving to a place where real mountainbiking exists.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I used to live in florida

I sold my road bike within a year of moving to a place where real mountainbiking exists.
To be honest, I built a gravel bike with drop bars and everything. 42mm knobby tires, full 1x11 MTB drivetrain, and disc brakes though. Fuggin thing resembles a late 80s mtb with all the modern fixins. It's good for getting base miles while avoiding cars and putting wear and tear on the MTBs.

94465.jpeg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I used to Pack race. Scariest times were the open training rides. Cat 1 all the way to frigging newbies would show up. Some times like on the Saturday morning ride which started at the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor there would be 90-100 riders. We did an easy spin to Capitola where the fun began. The sprint up depo hill out of Capitola village would drop the newbies then the double paceline would form. Holy shit did you have to pay attention. We would hold that until La Selva Beach around 15 miles then the pack would get shredded on the San Andreas grade. You had to watch for the move and be near the front or get dropped. The really fast guys would drop back and slow the back creating a gap then sprint up you were either in the front of the move or be ready to suck the wheel of the fast guys to stay with the lead 20-30. Double pace line along San Andreas at rediculous speeds then we would drop down a hill and do an all out sprint to riverside drive. We would all regroup and split into 3 rides The 50 milers would head back to the Harbor. The 75 milers would go hit Eureka Canyon (2500' climb) and the 100 milers would go hit Old San Juan Grade then hit Eureka canyon.

There were some seriously bad wrecks on some rides. We are talking life flight to trauma centers. Usually it was someone going sown in one of the sprints and getting found down on the pavement by the stragglers.

I did it for 3-4 years then decided it wasn't why I like to ride even if it did keep me at a skinny 165 pounds

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
YO. Rode 3 hours/11 miles with splat and Wife this morning. Yeah, low miles for that much time, but that's what the terrain dictated. A rather tiring set of trails...constant rocks, roots, ups and downs. Nothing particularly difficult by itself, but the constant pounding wore me down to the nub. Got home and ran for 30 minutes. @johnbryanpeters I passed along your "Hi" message to splat.

From said ride:

199630438_10165069887835521_4963178029390833253_n.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
East side of the Sierras is amazing Go down to Whitney Portal but instead of going up towards Whitney hit Cottonwoods Basin Its Yosemite at 11000 feet so awesome.. Lower rock creek south of Mammoth. Mono Lake. The hot springs off BentonCrossing Rd at the south end of Mammoth Airport.
thank you...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Pack riding is koo koo crazy. I tried a group road ride once and made a maneuver to avoid a crack in the road and took out my friends front wheel. Boom he went and I never did a group road ride again. Riding bikes is supposed to be fun.
Overlapping his front wheel was his mistake, not yours.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
to bee fair, getting in a good rotation with a crew who knows what's up is pretty friggin fun. Like sustained 35-40mph on flats fun.

It's a different kind of exciting than mountainbiking but it's pretty neat and terrifying in its own way.
Did you never descend with a bunch of roadies? Pretty fun when you can ride circles around most of them because they have no clue about line choice. When it gets wet it gets even better. They think you are mental just because your rear wheel minimally slides once in a while when late braking into corners. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did you never descend with a bunch of roadies? Pretty fun when you can ride circles around most of them because they have no clue about line choice. When it gets wet it gets even better. They think you are mental just because your rear wheel minimally slides once in a while when late braking into corners. :D

If he was in Florida, I think the answer is there were no descents.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
good ride in the hills. kiddo got his taste of slick roots and rocks since it'd been raining on and off for the past week. shit was sketchy. he got creek (cheer)wine today while we had creek beers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, when today couldn't get any worse, I was loading up my car to go for a short ride, my hoarder neighbor hits my mailbox with his janky ass tractor and the post breaks right off. So instead of riding I got to run to home depot for a new post then proceeded to get blisters digging a new post hole.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well, when today couldn't get any worse, I was loading up my car to go for a short ride, my hoarder neighbor hits my mailbox with his janky ass tractor and the post breaks right off. So instead of riding I got to run to home depot for a new post then proceeded to get blisters digging a new post hole.
Sounds to me like your neighbor is the one ought to be getting blisters.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Busy day. Yard work, then 16 miles with Le wife on a nice rail trail in NH, then grueling 7.5 miles on rocks and roots of the billerica SF with a fast friend. Now beer and grilling wings.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Helped @stoney rebuild his 4x, that bike so so sick. Now waiting on a cheeseburger and enjoying a beer.
This. It puts down power at a level that it's disconcerting such that it feels like the chain might snap. It does not feel like a FS bike, AT ALL. I can't wait to get it to the BMX track.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Going backpacking for a couple nights tomorrow for a much needed mini-break from the chipmunk wars. So far 56 of the evil little bastards met their demise for chewing up my car that spent a week in the shop. Holes all over the yard from their burrows as well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Going backpacking for a couple nights tomorrow for a much needed mini-break from the chipmunk wars. So far 56 of the evil little bastards met their demise for chewing up my car that spent a week in the shop. Holes all over the yard from their burrows as well.
yo when you get back on pedals you need to come check out yancey. they've totally reworked a lot of it and it's running great. new exit should be open later this summer too.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Try this Nao?

I grew up shooting airguns in the 70s and 80s and was really good. A neighbor's family was all about hunting and they taught me gun safety and how to shoot. But as an adult I have stayed away from firearms, and critter killin. So I wound up doing something that I never thought I do again, own an airgun. And man are are they way more advanced than my Crossman pump gun. Back then there was only one caliber, .177. If you wanted anything more powerful then you moved up to a 22 rifle. I bought a .22 cal break barrel, 10x repeater with noise suppression and aftermarket scope that is a serious hunting rifle. And the pellets for these things are off the hook. Hollow points, copper plated alloy, brass spiked tips...

Still have not discharged a firearm and have no plans on doing so. The air rifle, while fun, shiny and new, is nothing more than a garden tool and shall be treated as such. Never owned a tool that I did not use at least once. Some tools best not be owned by those with anger issues.