Quantcast

~ Sunday GMT ~

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just tried something new and I will for sure be doing it going forward...

We normally get a full tenderloin when we want to get filet mignon. Then just cut steaks, use the Foodsave, then freeze them so we can take them as we want. That's usually $37-40 per lb at Costco, so although it's cheaper than straight filet, it's still expensive. Friday Costco had full tenderloin for $12/lb and another $25 off per package. So I did a quick internet search on how to trim a full tenderloin and got an 11lb tenderloin for $117. Spent about an hour trimming it while watching football (where I would have been sitting on my ass anyways) and ended up with 4.5lbs of trimmed tenderloins and about another .5lb of trimmings. Worked out to ~$23.40/lb and I could to a lot better as I get better at the cuts; probably cot an extra .5lbs while I was trimming it. Definitely recommend it if you're good with a knife and like to eat filet mignon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
$ per calorie optimization

it's the next logical step for you

embrace your cheapness

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality

We normally get a full tenderloin when we want to get filet mignon. Then just cut steaks, use the Foodsave, then freeze them so we can take them as we want. That's usually $37-40 per lb at Costco, so although it's cheaper than straight filet, it's still expensive. Friday Costco had full tenderloin for $12/lb and another $25 off per package. So I did a quick internet search on how to trim a full tenderloin and got an 11lb tenderloin for $117. Spent about an hour trimming it while watching football (where I would have been sitting on my ass anyways) and ended up with 4.5lbs of trimmed tenderloins and about another .5lb of trimmings. Worked out to ~$23.40/lb and I could to a lot better as I get better at the cuts; probably cot an extra .5lbs while I was trimming it. Definitely recommend it if you're good with a knife and like to eat filet mignon.
Same same but different:
244AC1CF-28F7-4167-8205-37B5EB2A03AD.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

You know how cheap it is per lb when you buy an entire cow?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You know how cheap it is per lb when you buy an entire cow?
Been there. Done that. We don't eat a ton of beef now, mostly chicken and pork. So when we're eating beef, it tends to be a treat, hence filet/tenderloin.