Quantcast

***Sunday GMT***

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a Russian employee who is on vacation in Russia. Will be interesting to see how she will get home now they are closing air space. At least she has family in Finland and could get home that way.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Been up WAY too many hours so far....that's what I get for napping my Saturday away. I don't think I have slept this much in a month of weekends, but today I am feeling good! New rules for COVID means I am out of quarantine tonight at midnight and can return to work if I stay symptom free today. Fingers crossed that all is well....it's WAY more work to plan for a sub than to just teach especially if I feel fine and I know there won't be a sub anyway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Coffee, fire. Eggs sausage hash browns soon. Aunt and uncle visited for dinner yesterday. Had a good time. They made homemade linguine, I made meatballs from scratch with the grinder and the sauce. Corropolese cheesecake for dessert.

Cleaning today. Need to put the last of the holiday decorations back into store. Need to start cleaning out the bedroom and closet, remodel on the master bathroom starts in 8 days. Also need to start getting organized for my son's 7th bday next Saturday. Also gonna try to squeeze in some time on the rower today.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Half fork shopping, half bike shopping. The more I look at bike prices, the cheaper forks get. Looked at a Bullit Friday and about fell out. Yes, it's an ebike, but it's $11k. But I also looked at pedal bikes in the $3k range and that suddenly seemed cheap. :rofl:

I might get a bonus this year, so I might get a new bike. We laughed about putting the Super T and Hussefelts back on the RM7 and hang it up in the shop. It truly is a period piece and is old enough to drink now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Was going to ski but we were all too tired last night so made the call not to. I'm only up because Hannah woke me up, so that was a good call. Will probably go do a few races/sessions today with Haley, since we have time now.

Working out math on putting in solar panels. Preference would absolutely be to do a loan, just because of the inflation hedge of the fixed rate, but the net cost difference between a cash purchase and loan is notable. Cashflow is king though, and the loan only carries a minor impact over current cashflow so... Loan will probably be the solution. TSLA has the lowest priced panels and the lowest rates by >2%, which is big. And given that Wifey's next car will 100% be an etron Q7, moving to panels will offset her gas cost (~$100/m). Actually... You know when you talk out loud and answer your own questions by just saying them out loud? Yeah. That just happened here. Cashflow saved on petrol will lead to a negative cashflow difference. Car payment amount would need to be sorted into it, but it could very likely be totally neutral. Well then. Low rate loan it is! :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Morning Monkeys.

Half fork shopping, half bike shopping. The more I look at bike prices, the cheaper forks get. Looked at a Bullit Friday and about fell out. Yes, it's an ebike, but it's $11k. But I also looked at pedal bikes in the $3k range and that suddenly seemed cheap. :rofl:

I might get a bonus this year, so I might get a new bike. We laughed about putting the Super T and Hussefelts back on the RM7 and hang it up in the shop. It truly is a period piece and is old enough to drink now.
Max 401k, then buy toys. $20,500 into retirement first.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
would love to do solar panels. Need to do a roof at some point in the near-ish future (7 years?) so I'm reluctant to think about them until it's more realistic.

I'm having fun playing around with fit on the new TT bike. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but am happy to pay for parts that will keep me safe and comfortable. The current aero bar setup has a significant amount of corrosion around the brackets and on the extensions, and the thought of spending a lot of time on arm pads that somebody else spent a lot of time on is...gross. So, I'm thinking about getting a new bar/extension/bracket setup, perhaps with a new stem as well, and then I can dial in my fit and not worry about 15 year old brackets shearing as well. Was thinking chinese carbon bars to get a lot of drop, but I just don't know if I can bring myself to ride a cheap structural component

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
would love to do solar panels. Need to do a roof at some point in the near-ish future (7 years?) so I'm reluctant to think about them until it's more realistic.

I'm having fun playing around with fit on the new TT bike. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but am happy to pay for parts that will keep me safe and comfortable. The current aero bar setup has a significant amount of corrosion around the brackets and on the extensions, and the thought of spending a lot of time on arm pads that somebody else spent a lot of time on is...gross. So, I'm thinking about getting a new bar/extension/bracket setup, perhaps with a new stem as well, and then I can dial in my fit and not worry about 15 year old brackets shearing as well. Was thinking chinese carbon bars to get a lot of drop, but I just don't know if I can bring myself to ride a cheap structural component
The big tax credit expires this year, so that's part of what's pushing it. XCEL increased electricity prices 17% this year and that is a huge step towards break-even. With bids on the bottom half of the quote range, if I roll the amount of the tax credit back into the loan at 12m, the loan reamortizes down $5-7k. That makes for a huge shift in the cashflow. There is very little argument for not having panels at this point if you have the cashflow to do it. Since we do, the $40 difference per month is a negligible amount (vs. $100+ before).

We'll be replacing our water heater in 2-3 years too, so that will get replaced with a dual-system instant heat electric system. Our roof is almost due south-west facing and in the install area, is projected to produce >2000kWh/m2 on 95% of the install area with the remaining 5% at >1750kWh/m2, all with no tree blockage (@Nick can confirm that's good). There is so much direct sun exposure back there that we can't use our deck for half the day and the majority of the yard looks like scorched earth half the year. We can largely convert the house to electric and it won't even make a dent to our live's, but will reduce our expenses immensely. What I'm trying to figure out is the heater though. Ours is the original from 1993 when the house was built, so it should be nearing end of life too. We have issues heating that back corner of the house and electric heaters aren't as powerful and gas. I'm trying to figure out the option of installing another, smaller electric heating system mid-/rear-system. That's just so far out of my range of knowledge I don't even know were to start. I think I need something in the 90K+ BTU range with a monstrously powerful blower, if not a secondary blower mid-stream, but again, beyond my paygrade.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The big tax credit expires this year, so that's part of what's pushing it. XCEL increased electricity prices 17% this year and that is a huge step towards break-even. With bids on the bottom half of the quote range, if I roll the amount of the tax credit back into the loan at 12m, the loan reamortizes down $5-7k. That makes for a huge shift in the cashflow. There is very little argument for not having panels at this point if you have the cashflow to do it. Since we do, the $40 difference per month is a negligible amount (vs. $100+ before).

We'll be replacing our water heater in 2-3 years too, so that will get replaced with a dual-system instant heat electric system. Our roof is almost due south-west facing and in the install area, is projected to produce >2000kWh/m2 on 95% of the install area with the remaining 5% at >1750kWh/m2, all with no tree blockage (@Nick can confirm that's good). There is so much direct sun exposure back there that we can't use our deck for half the day and the majority of the yard looks like scorched earth half the year. We can largely convert the house to electric and it won't even make a dent to our live's, but will reduce our expenses immensely. What I'm trying to figure out is the heater though. Ours is the original from 1993 when the house was built, so it should be nearing end of life too. We have issues heating that back corner of the house and electric heaters aren't as powerful and gas. I'm trying to figure out the option of installing another, smaller electric heating system mid-/rear-system. That's just so far out of my range of knowledge I don't even know were to start. I think I need something in the 90K+ BTU range with a monstrously powerful blower, if not a secondary blower mid-stream, but again, beyond my paygrade.
my issue is that while our house is south facing, we have many tall trees that block light. I don't want to take them down as we need the privacy but if our efficiency is too low with them, then we aren't getting full value. I keep hoping they will fall in a storm and force my hand but they keep holding steady. I don't even have one of those roof-apps to tell me whether I can get it.

What about mini-splits? Can you equip most of the house with them? That's what people do out here. We need solid heat so we have to keep our oil system, but solar would A) cut down on electricity consumption, B) enable electric cars, and C) allow for adoption of electric heating systems. Ah well, soon.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Lounging about Denver today. Godfather tonight in Dolby Cinema. Will try to finish Black Panther this morning with the big girls.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
my issue is that while our house is south facing, we have many tall trees that block light. I don't want to take them down as we need the privacy but if our efficiency is too low with them, then we aren't getting full value. I keep hoping they will fall in a storm and force my hand but they keep holding steady. I don't even have one of those roof-apps to tell me whether I can get it.

What about mini-splits? Can you equip most of the house with them? That's what people do out here. We need solid heat so we have to keep our oil system, but solar would A) cut down on electricity consumption, B) enable electric cars, and C) allow for adoption of electric heating systems. Ah well, soon.
Look at Energy Sage. You can usually get a bunch of solid bids, taking in consideration shade exposure and power generation. Shoot me your email (I can't find it) and I can send you one of the quotes that I got for example.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
got woken up at 0409 by an amber alert on my cell phone. Promptly fell back asleep. I got over 10 hours of sleep last night which is awesome since 7 is my usual max. Debating fishing or riding once it warms up a bit, so in the meantime...espresso

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Max 401k, then buy toys. $20,500 into retirement first.
Half my bonus goes there, but I'm not quite at $20,500 with my +10% (I don't make THAT much). But it goes up to 11% this year and we will see what my raise is. Last year my raise was prorated, so it ended up being $1486 total. :rofl:

I can ride another year on this busted ass fork.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hey @stoney if you're going to go with Tesla Energy please use my referral code eh

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

I would not want to put solar panels on the main house's roof. In case of a fire, water cannot get through them as they do not burn or melt at the temps of normal fires. That way they protect the fire from getting extinguished. There already have been multiple incidents like this in Germany. And no, the solar panels were not the cause of the fires.

I would not want to put solar panels on the main house's roof. In case of a fire, water cannot get through them as they do not burn or melt at the temps of normal fires. That way they protect the fire from getting extinguished. There already have been multiple incidents like this in Germany. And no, the solar panels were not the cause of the fires.
It also makes roof maintenance a nd removal of snow from solar panels damn near impossible.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Karting went well this morning. Another new PR for Haley; down to 25.968s (25.985s yesterday) - goal is 25.564s. Her PR is now faster than any of the other kids in jr league, even the dominant kids. Manager today said the conversation around the track employees consisted of 1) what made her get so fast, so quickly? 2) How long until she takes the track record? She's not letting up and getting hungrier the closer she gets.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Stoney, did you happen to research the LG battery packs at all? Saw a display at HD yesterday but didn’t have time to stop and check it out, I’ve always been happy with LG stuff, not sure where they fit in costwise.

More and more I’m thinking I should be putting off buying a new truck and sell the wife’s car early to grab a Mach E or Polestar for myself, er, I mean her. Solar and battery back up seems like the smart move, and she has free charging at work anyway so maybe her car wouldn’t be out of gas constantly.

Under what circumstances would insurance pay for roof repairs?
Weather damage I presume, or in slightly rarer circumstances small aircraft navigational failures.

How’s the solar panel not being permeable to water any different than a tile roof? Or to a lesser extent asphalt shingles? Seems like a non issue out here where all roofs have to be fire resistant.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Stoney, did you happen to research the LG battery packs at all? Saw a display at HD yesterday but didn’t have time to stop and check it out, I’ve always been happy with LG stuff, not sure where they fit in costwise.

More and more I’m thinking I should be putting off buying a new truck and sell the wife’s car early to grab a Mach E or Polestar for myself, er, I mean her. Solar and battery back up seems like the smart move, and she has free charging at work anyway so maybe her car wouldn’t be out of gas constantly.

Weather damage I presume, or in slightly rarer circumstances small aircraft navigational failures.

How’s the solar panel not being permeable to water any different than a tile roof? Or to a lesser extent asphalt shingles? Seems like a non issue out here where all roofs have to be fire resistant.
Batteries in general are grossly overpriced for the amount of standalone power you get out of them once the sun goes down. Unfortunately, we aren't there yet when it comes to storing power.

As for insurance roof replacement, we had out 18y/o roof replaced at 100%, even though is was 60% covered by panels, because of the damage that it took. A storm 2yrs later laid waste to this new neighborhood and most people got both roofs and windows, plus a lot of decks. That one was a microburst that sat over the neighborhood for almost 10min. It's also why our HO ins is almost $4k/yr with a %-based deductible - you can't get fixed amount anymore.