Quantcast

***Sunday GMT***

Batteries in general are grossly overpriced for the amount of standalone power you get out of them once the sun goes down. Unfortunately, we aren't there yet when it comes to storing power.

As for insurance roof replacement, we had out 18y/o roof replaced at 100%, even though is was 60% covered by panels, because of the damage that it took. A storm 2yrs later laid waste to this new neighborhood and most people got both roofs and windows, plus a lot of decks. That one was a microburst that sat over the neighborhood for almost 10min. It's also why our HO ins is almost $4k/yr with a %-based deductible - you can't get fixed amount anymore.
I'm pretty close to dropping household insurance. Over time, it hasn't paid anything like what it costs, and we could afford to replace the house should it become necessary.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Blargh. Have felt down the last few days - this seems to be a cycle. Maybe because of the lack of quality cycling?

Walked out onto the lake this afternoon. The wind and snow is whipping up again. Caught these two people walking in from wherever they were fishing. Would have been a cool shot with a better camera or whatever.

But yeah this is looking out across the bay. Not much to look at today...

This is where the small rink was, next to the bench. Hard to keep up with the snow drifts...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm pretty close to dropping household insurance. Over time, it hasn't paid anything like what it costs, and we could afford to replace the house should it become necessary.
It's about risk mitigation. Assuming I had reasonably unlimited capital and our house burned down could I afford the $600k it would take to rebuild it vs. $900k to buy a new one? Sure. But again, it's about the math. That $4k/yr, invested at 8%, would take 32 years to get to $600k. However, the cost to replace that house at any time in that 32 years, means I will be paying interest and not having that money invested.The risk mitigation aspect makes it absolutely worth it. Now if your house is worth substantially less and you would rebuild even smaller, maybe.

But you're not getting me to go without coverage - the risks don't outweigh the benefits of money saved. Hell, our claims to date from State Farm are over $60k (roof, water, 2 car accidents, rental ins claim). We have DEFINITELY not paid that much to State Farm in 15+ years. And before anyone says "why not shop it", we have. Nobody has been able to match our coverage for the cost to date.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I had about the same conversation with a new customer a week ago.

Gentlemen in his late 60s who is very financially stable and didn’t see how he could justify spending for the coverage.

We quoted a 600k home and 1 million liability with a 40k deductible. So effectively only covering a total loss or huge suit from a dog bite. Saved him 2k/year

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I had about the same conversation with a new customer a week ago.

Gentlemen in his late 60s who is very financially stable and didn’t see how he could justify spending for the coverage.

We quoted a 600k home and 1 million liability with a 40k deductible. So effectively only covering a total loss or huge suit from a dog bite. Saved him 2k/year
40k? We have that plus a bit at .5% of policy value - or $5k on a $1mm policy. How ridiculous is natural disaster risk in your hood? Or is it flood risk?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Helped @Adventurous around the house today. Replaced his dryer vent for him, which was more work that I would have expected. PITA.

Finally got sick of the Yakima Spareride and going back to a hitch rack, looking forward to that coming in. When the fuck did hitch racks get absurdly priced?

Found @StiHacka newest knife. Sorry for the lack of tiny magic carpet.
IMG_20220227_184331238_resize_28.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We need to up our coverage given market price increases since we bought 6 years ago. The Marshall fire was an awakening hearing about all the massively underinsured people whose home is now a pile of ashes.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We actually UPPED our insurance after the accident
I'm in the process of updating all of our policies, including the life policies. Wifey likes those Dateline type shows, so when I told her that we needed to basically 3x her existing coverage I definitely got the side-eye. Especially when I told her we don't need to do mine. Had to call in a CFP buddy to show her the math, just to reconfirm mine. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm in the process of updating all of our policies, including the life policies. Wifey likes those Dateline type shows, so when I told her that we needed to basically 3x her existing coverage I definitely got the side-eye. Especially when I told her we don't need to do mine. Had to call in a CFP buddy to show her the math, just to reconfirm mine. :rofl:
Two words: Full. Tort.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Helped @Adventurous around the house today. Replaced his dryer vent for him, which was more work that I would have expected. PITA.

Finally got sick of the Yakima Spareride and going back to a hitch rack, looking forward to that coming in. When the fuck did hitch racks get absurdly priced?

View attachment 172605
Needs more speed holes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

View attachment 172605
He paid you with a shitty knife?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We need to up our coverage given market price increases since we bought 6 years ago. The Marshall fire was an awakening hearing about all the massively underinsured people whose home is now a pile of ashes.

I've opted for earthquake insurance for my place. That ain't cheap.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
in 42 years of home ownership I have never made an insurance claim. Not even on my house that was 2 miles from the epicenter of the 89 Loma Prieta Earthquake (7.0)
Wifey's aunt and uncle had their house ripped in half during the 89 quake. They found out, in real time, that their house was built over the fault.

As for no claims that's either luck or poor usage of a service you have paid for. The rental claim was because a very expensive bike got stolen while at a friend's house. Was being loaned, but still under coverage, so $500 later, new Yeti for Wifey. Roof damage is a real thing here, but we pay for it accordingly. And my little 'oops' with the nail gun that punctured the pipe? Call it luck that the pipe was placed out of code, but $1750 later, $25k in insurance repairs. We did lose coverage from State Farm due to the rental coverage claim, but after 2yrs switched back.

You pay for the service, use it if you have a catastrophic/substantial damage or loss that is not your own fault, you pay for that coverage. I've met too many people who don't file claims because "it will increase my premium" or "I don't think it's an insurance type of issue". Let them decide that, not you.

If you've been lucky enough to slide by though, cheeky bastard. Means you've managed to not have to deal with the shit that causes the need for a claim.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Wifey's aunt and uncle had their house ripped in half during the 89 quake. They found out, in real time, that their house was built over the fault.

As for no claims that's either luck or poor usage of a service you have paid for. The rental claim was because a very expensive bike got stolen while at a friend's house. Was being loaned, but still under coverage, so $500 later, new Yeti for Wifey. Roof damage is a real thing here, but we pay for it accordingly. And my little 'oops' with the nail gun that punctured the pipe? Call it luck that the pipe was placed out of code, but $1750 later, $25k in insurance repairs. We did lose coverage from State Farm due to the rental coverage claim, but after 2yrs switched back.

You pay for the service, use it if you have a catastrophic/substantial damage or loss that is not your own fault, you pay for that coverage. I've met too many people who don't file claims because "it will increase my premium" or "I don't think it's an insurance type of issue". Let them decide that, not you.

If you've been lucky enough to slide by though, cheeky bastard. Means you've managed to not have to deal with the shit that causes the need for a claim.
Never had any damage to any of my 3 homes. no trees onto the roof, no earthquake damage, no broken pipes, no one getting hurt, no fires, nothing.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
40k? We have that plus a bit at .5% of policy value - or $5k on a $1mm policy. How ridiculous is natural disaster risk in your hood? Or is it flood risk?
He is on a lake but not too bad of flood risk. No, 99.9% of the time I wouldn’t talk much over a $2,500 deductible. But he was after as low of premium as he could get. Made for a $550/year homeowners policy.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Handed over the keys to the old homestead this afternoon, just as we were leaving I heard me super Trumpy former neighbor scream at the top of his lungs “Fuckibg bitch, left the goddamn door open again, cunt bitch”, I guess his wife forgot to close the door, definitely not going to miss those psychotic assholes.

Seeing the house empty was pretty wild, it was a good house, made some decent money on the sale and it got us into our dream house. Sucks for the poor SOB who buys it and has to live next to the crazy assholes though.
3C8E788F-0E34-47D8-9C86-92D9FB6F922B.jpeg

Batteries in general are grossly overpriced for the amount of standalone power you get out of them once the sun goes down. Unfortunately, we aren't there yet when it comes to storing power.
For some reason I read Tesla and assumed panels plus power wall. The economics suck, but we have pretty frequent safety shut offs so there’s some actual benefit, for me there’s more functional benefit to the batteries than the solar panels.

Back to teh google…

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
back in the 70s when I worked construction. Since then anything I have built has been put together with screws
Screws are the only way to go IMHO unless code specifically forbids them. The new GRK and Simpson structural screws with a good cordless impact will drive faster than you can sink a nail with a hammer, and barely cost more. No bent nails, no missed hammer strikes, no backing out over time, no squeaks or creaks ever.

Only nails I ever use anymore are brads for trim and occasionally just to temporarily hold something in place before shooting the screws in.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Handed over the keys to the old homestead this afternoon, just as we were leaving I heard me super Trumpy former neighbor scream at the top of his lungs “Fuckibg bitch, left the goddamn door open again, cunt bitch”, I guess his wife forgot to close the door, definitely not going to miss those psychotic assholes.

Seeing the house empty was pretty wild, it was a good house, made some decent money on the sale and it got us into our dream house. Sucks for the poor SOB who buys it and has to live next to the crazy assholes though.
View attachment 172627

For some reason I read Tesla and assumed panels plus power wall. The economics suck, but we have pretty frequent safety shut offs so there’s some actual benefit, for me there’s more functional benefit to the batteries than the solar panels.

Back to teh google…
It was mandatory for a bit, but they backed off on it. It was an unnecessary $10k premium.

Screws are the only way to go IMHO unless code specifically forbids them. The new GRK and Simpson structural screws with a good cordless impact will drive faster than you can sink a nail with a hammer, and barely cost more. No bent nails, no missed hammer strikes, no backing out over time, no squeaks or creaks ever.

Only nails I ever use anymore are brads for trim and occasionally just to temporarily hold something in place before shooting the screws in.
My observation is that the screws seem to corrode rapidly.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I've come to the same conclusion. I can see why commercial framing and roofing outfits use nails, but little old me has the time to dedicate to using screws. In fact, I just drove 200 screws into the subfloor of our new master bedroom to ensure it stays squeak free.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Our wooden floors have lots of creaks/squeaks.

But we also have radiant underfloor heating, so I'm not too keen to do a @stoney and start puncturing the water lines to try and fix some of them. Not sure how I'll address it...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Our wooden floors have lots of creaks/squeaks.

But we also have radiant underfloor heating, so I'm not too keen to do a @stoney and start puncturing the water lines to try and fix some of them. Not sure how I'll address it...
In theory, turn them on and get a FLIR. Map it with a pencil.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
My observation is that the screws seem to corrode rapidly.
Coated or stainless shouldn't corrode, Spax has hot dip galvanized screws that have held up really well on my fence. Avoiding Philips head helps a lot too, Philips always cam out, by design, that chews up the coating and destroys any corrosion resistance.

Torx bits also last damn near forever, I think I used about 3k Spax screws on my fence, probably more, but only used 1 torx bit, the free one that came in the box of screws. To get any kind of life out of Philips I have to buy the expensive Wera or Wiha ones, and they only last a couple hundred screws at most.

I've come to the same conclusion. I can see why commercial framing and roofing outfits use nails, but little old me has the time to dedicate to using screws. In fact, I just drove 200 screws into the subfloor of our new master bedroom to ensure it stays squeak free.
Framing crews can also justify a good nail gun. After my Dewalt gun went full-auto on my I swore off cheap framing nailers, I'd rather just spend the extra $5-10/project on screws.

www.ScrewMonkey.com

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
We have occasional very strong wind and gentle seismicity here and frequently get a salty sea breeze. Screws >> nails. Decks are nailed though; I’ve had to go round my multiple decks with a nail punch every few years. Stainless everything outside for preference. Even quality galvanised stuff only lasts a few years before turning to rust.