Quantcast

Sunday - Orange County ride?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hi all,

I'm hoping to hit the trails this weekend for the first time since...well, a long time. I'd like to hit up San Juan Trail, but only because it's one of my favorites. I'd also be interested in Whiting Ranch, Anaheim Hills (but I don't know the area), Skyline/Corona, etc...

Andrew

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I'd be down for a San Juan run... pedaling up or doing a shuttle?

I have not been pedaling much lately, so I could use a good pedal... but would prefer a San Jaun shuttle since it's mostly down.:cool:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
San Juan it is. I drive a Toyota pickup with a shell. If someone else has another truck, we should be able to shuttle no problem.

What time? I think 9am is the absolute earliest I can be at the trailhead.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I talked to -BB- last night, he's down. Both of us have shuttle worthy vehicles - so we're all set. We'll meet ya at 9am at the lower lot - one of you (reflux I assume since Mandown needs to take off afterwards) will need to drive -BB- back up to get his truck.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm almost 100% in. somebody shoot me a phone number. mapquest says it is 1.5 hours for me to get to san juan. i think it is gonna be closer to 2 hours. possibly longer on the return trip.

again, how long does the trip usualy take from the time the trucks are loaded and start shuttling to the top?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
mandown said:
i'm almost 100% in. somebody shoot me a phone number. mapquest says it is 1.5 hours for me to get to san juan. i think it is gonna be closer to 2 hours. possibly longer on the return trip.

again, how long does the trip usualy take from the time the trucks are loaded and start shuttling to the top?
Once you hit San Juan, it's another 30 to get to the lower parking lot where we'll meet, and another 15+ minute shuttle. It's been a few months since I've shuttled, but I believe it's around 2 hours. While it is mostly downhill, I do remember there being quite a bit of pedaling (mild climbing).

Given everything, I'd probably expect everything to take over 3 hours (shuttling, riding, etc).

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Slugman said:
I talked to -BB- last night, he's down. Both of us have shuttle worthy vehicles - so we're all set. We'll meet ya at 9am at the lower lot - one of you (reflux I assume since Mandown needs to take off afterwards) will need to drive -BB- back up to get his truck.
Sounds good. PM sent.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
My take on the shuttling.

Once the truck is packed (at lower parking lot) and loaded it's about 20 -25 min to the top.

The ride down is about an hour and half (barring mechanicals / long stops). There are 2 routes we can take. One has a long mild climb to 'cocktail rock', the other has a shorter and steeper climb... which I tend to NOT make (like I said... have not done much pedaling lately). From Cocktail rock there is a short bit of a mild climb and then you hit the downhill portion - that part is SUPER fast and fun. I'd say the latest that we'd get back to the trucks would be 11:30.

That should give plenty of time for you (mandown) to get back for your BBQ. You can take off as long as Reflux will bring -BB- back to the top to get the truck, round trip for this is about 40 - 45 min.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I'm in and I can shuttle 3 maybe for bikes(Suburban with sportworks rack) . I'll do either the pedal section or the climb. The climb does cut about 30-40 mins depending on how fast you pedal

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Edgy said:
I'm in and I can shuttle 3 maybe for bikes(Suburban with sportworks rack) . I'll do either the pedal section or the climb. The climb does cut about 30-40 mins depending on how fast you pedal
I've got a few more (3 to be exact) guys that want to go, so the more the merrier.

One was talking about climbing it - so if anyone wants to do the climb, they will have company

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Slugman said:
I've got a few more (3 to be exact) guys that want to go, so the more the merrier.

One was talking about climbing it - so if anyone wants to do the climb, they will have company
We'd probably meet somewhere around cocktail rock, right?

If my truck ('yota pickup) will be at the lower lot, I might as well ride up.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
reflux said:
We'd probably meet somewhere around cocktail rock, right?

If my truck ('yota pickup) will be at the lower lot, I might as well ride up.
That's your call... I'm not in good enough shape for that one. The other way has enough climbing to keep me happy, but is mostly down.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hey guys, sorry for my missing the ride. I arrived at the trailhead at around a quarter (or so) after 9am. A guy waiting for his crew (they were about an hour+ late) told me that you guys had already left for the top. I hit the trail in hopes of arriving at cocktail rock around the same timeframe as you. To make a long story short, I turned back about 3/4 of a mile from cocktail rock. I was really hoping to meet up with you guys on the ride down, but I wasn't feeling "it."

Hopefully we can put together another ride sometime soon, you know, one that I can actually help organize and partake in.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
mandown said:
sorry we missed you reflux. we were at the parking lot until 10 after. nobody had a cell number for you or got a call from you (as far as i know). it was a great ride. since it was my first time there, i put up a small ride report

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163785
I had your number... but no service.

We'll do it again sometime soon.

Now was someone talking about a Wilson ride...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Slugman said:
I had your number... but no service.

We'll do it again sometime soon.

Now was someone talking about a Wilson ride...
I'm looking forward to the next San Juan ride for sure. By the sounds of mandown's ride report, HOPEFULLY we can convince him to ride it again too.

Some friends and I are already planning a Mt Wilson ride on Sat, Aug 26. The three of us are all set with our shuttle, but as always, the more the merrier.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i think i can be persuaded for a san juan again.
marking the 26th as a wilson ride on my schedule.
my bud just got his bottlerocket. this weekend will be the first ride on it. not sure where that will be, but it will be his call.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I'm doing Mammoth on the weekend of the 26th, but let me know about any other plans.

I'm up for Wilson or San Juan anytime...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
mandown said:
i think i can be persuaded for a san juan again.
marking the 26th as a wilson ride on my schedule.
my bud just got his bottlerocket. this weekend will be the first ride on it. not sure where that will be, but it will be his call.
Change of plans - Mt Wilson on SUNDAY, Aug 27. Can you still make it?