Quantcast

Sunday Ride at Spier Falls with McGRP01 & Douglas

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
What a beautiful day for a ride! We took a 4-hour tour of Spier Falls showing Douglas what kind of climbing we had to offer. He was a little worried when everyone else showed up with arm & leg guards on, but he managed to leave unscathed.

Now for the pics. Here’s a fun little rock bridge that crosses some nasty mud right after the big climb.

First up Tigg:

Then TreeSaw:

Some of the trails here are really steep. This section of trail goes down a steep rock that is coated in roots and at the bottom makes a 90 degree turn to the left.

First up Doug:

TreeSaw:

Here’s a nice steep section of trail that is made trickier by the log you have to hop over.

Douglas showin’ us how it’s done on his new hollowpoint.

There really is a lot of climbing at Spier, but the views are totally worth it. We had to remind Doug that it was mostly downhill from here to keep him from riding off this ledge ;)

After a fun little section, there were some more mud holes to cross. Unfortunately, I got cocky and thought I could blast through this one. It turned out to be a bit deeper than I thought (to my rotor) and I managed to have one of my funniest slow-mo crashes ever. I was pretty much vertical long enough to allow everyone to stop, turn around and see me crashing and for Sq-Earl to get a pic of the muddy, wet end.

Just when you think the climbing is over and Sq-Earl says “it’s all downhill from here” you have to climb up this steep rock face (picture doesn’t really do it justice…it’s tough!)

Tigg catching up to Douglas on top:

Finally a couple of pictures of Sq-Earl. He & I lugged around our big bikes (I loaned my Jekyll to a girlfriend to ride and her husband was also luggin’ his Bullit) around. Despite all the climbing, there are a couple of fun drops to hit.

Check out Sq-Earl catching some air and making his Bullit useful on the mountain.

One more:

Once again a great day for riding with friends at an awesome location!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Great pics and a great ride for sure!! Those pics of Sq-Earl don't AT ALL do justice to how sketch the landings (and take-offs) were on both those drops. :eek: :eek: :eek: Super fun stuff!! :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
Great pics and a great ride for sure!! Those pics of Sq-Earl don't AT ALL do justice to how sketch the landings (and take-offs) were on both those drops. :eek: :eek: :eek: Super fun stuff!! :thumb:
Nope...he's just nutz...most people know that ;)
How's the ankle?

I am in the process of posting this on the SMBA forum too...let's see if I can figure it all out ;)

Edit - I must be having a smart day...I figured it out :thumb:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
Not sure yet. Depends on what time Sq-Earl gets home and how beat I am after raking the yard all day. 1 1/2 hours down about 4 more to go! :(
I'm riding with the DH team tomorrow night at Skidmore, so I'm should probably take tonight off as well to make sure the ankle will hold up, but daaaamn I'm tempted to go riding when it's so nice out!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
I'm riding with the DH team tomorrow night at Skidmore, so I'm should probably take tonight off as well to make sure the ankle will hold up, but daaaamn I'm tempted to go riding when it's so nice out!!
I've been tempted all day! Damn leaves....why can't they just rake themselves away :angry: so I can ride my bike!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Just when you think the climbing is over and Sq-Earl says “it’s all downhill from here” you have to climb up this steep rock face (picture doesn’t really do it justice…it’s tough!)

Tigg catching up to Douglas on top:

Once again a great day for riding with friends at an awesome location!

That spot was one of many tough spots..........pic makes it look like nothing / I think Sq-earl was the only one that made it out of the 6 of us!

I definitely want to go back there soon!

edit > that pic makes it look like I have some leg muscles :cool:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
douglas said:
she was definitely pretty cool.........it be fun to ride with her again, even if her husband came along too! ha-ha!
Oh, I am sure it will happen. She's getting a new bike (should come in this week) and wants to start racing with me. Might even be a 2 person 24 hr. teammate :devil: We'll see. She's just healed from a broken ankle (snowboarding accident) and last year was diagnosed with breast cancer and has battled back from that so we'll see...she's one tough mud hunnie that's for sure!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Oh, I am sure it will happen. She's getting a new bike (should come in this week) and wants to start racing with me. Might even be a 2 person 24 hr. teammate :devil: We'll see. She's just healed from a broken ankle (snowboarding accident) and last year was diagnosed with breast cancer and has battled back from that so we'll see...she's one tough mud hunnie that's for sure!

holy crap........plus didnt she say part of her collar bone is know metal??

you two should come on over to a Dalton wednesday night race!! that would be so cool - the race fee is only $8 !!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
douglas said:
holy crap........plus didnt she say part of her collar bone is know metal??

you two should come on over to a Dalton wednesday night race!! that would be so cool - the race fee is only $8 !!
Yeah...I forgot she broke her collar bone on a motorcycle. LOL. I am hoping to do a dalton race or 2 and I am thinking she may be into it as well. ;)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
Yeah...I forgot she broke her collar bone on a motorcycle. LOL. I am hoping to do a dalton race or 2 and I am thinking she may be into it as well. ;)
Sweet! Let me know when you're going and I'll head down w/ y'all.