Quantcast

Sunday River

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
Great to see SR getting noticed again, and thanks to Boyne for dumping some cash into the MTB program.

You can be sure that I'll be back for some more trailwork and beer.:cheers:

Also nice to see the Mofos in print.:biggrin:

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
Great to see SR getting noticed again, and thanks to Boyne for dumping some cash into the MTB program.

You can be sure that I'll be back for some more trailwork and beer.:cheers:

Also nice to see the Mofos in print.:biggrin:
Ya you guys get enough coverage as it is! j/k! But hopefully will see some great stuff this season. I'm down for a season's pass if they build a GOOD trail like A-Line.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd love to see a higher lift. Any thoughts/possibility to running one of the taller lifts? I don't know SR that well, but I'll probably be headed out there often this season, and that's the ticket, IMO. Whiteface isn't the steepest or the jumpiest, but it's the longest, and that makes for some hellish trails.

When does trail clearing/building pick up?

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
I'd love to see a higher lift. Any thoughts/possibility to running one of the taller lifts? I don't know SR that well, but I'll probably be headed out there often this season, and that's the ticket, IMO. Whiteface isn't the steepest or the jumpiest, but it's the longest, and that makes for some hellish trails.

When does trail clearing/building pick up?
7.4 Mil. Chondola going in this summer. Hopefully it'l' be running before the season ends.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
For bikes? Is a chondola a gondola or am I missing something? Where is going to be on the map?
It will run from South Ridge to North Peak, it's basicly a chairlift/gondola hybrid.

A Chondola is a high-speed detachable six-person chairlift that carries gondola cabins at regular intervals. The lift is being manufactured by Doppelmayr CTEC and is slated to be open to the public in the winter of 2008-2009, pending state approvals. A trip previously requiring two lift rides by skier and snowboarders will be reduced to one.
“This innovative lift system is an initial step in delivering on a vision for Sunday River,” said Dana Bullen, Sunday River general manager.

We’re looking forward to bringing this level of refinement to all experiences at the resort. We’ve spent nearly a year crafting the finer details of Sunday River’s future. The installation of the Chondola signals the transition from the envisioning phase into the planning and implementation phase. This is much more than a ski lift, it will transform how Sunday River interacts with guests in all four seasons. The transformation will be seen at all levels of the Resort in coming years. This is just the beginning.”

In addition to the new lift, new trails will be cut from the summit of North Peak. $1.7 million will also spent to upgrade snowmaking equipment including new Boyne Low-E fan guns as the resort continues in the quest to double the amount of snow that can be made at one time, while reducing energy usage.
$1.4 million will be invested in resort condos and hotels including new Boyne Beds.
Preliminary planning to offer 12-hour skiing on North Peak and South Ridge continues and could be available as soon as next season pending local approvals. Any 12-hour skiing will be serviced by the Chondola and would incorporate the mid-mountain Peak Lodge.
“We’re extremely pleased with the pace of this process,” said Dana Bullen, Sunday River general manager. “Starting now, Sunday River is clearly New England’s resort on the move. The next few years will solidify that in a big way.”

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah i read it and it was a really great article. I found out some really interesting information.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
Just got back from the River and, god damn, am I beat.

Things are looking really good up there, already, more than half the trails have been raked/lopped/chain-sawed clear. I suspect the rest will be done in the next week or two max.

Put in a new entrance to Grand Rapids/Crater that starts off the AP Road at the end of Green Acres. Rerouted and fixed up a bunch of spots on Crater/Lower Crater.

Cleared and rerouted the bottom of Double Vision.

Fixed the Lot-10 cut-off trail off Second Thoughts.

Plan on being back next Sunday to start on some virgin dirt, can't wait.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
Any erosion-control features? I hope all your hard work doesn't terd the bed during the next rainstorm...
It should be okay but ya never can tell until it get ridden in a bit.

Not shown in the picture is the huge drainage canal along the riders left (up-hill) side. It's about 4 feet across by 2-4 feet deep, mostly natural, but got a good clearing out (read as; dug out like a Mofo) and has a 12 inch drainage culvert crossing under the trail at the botton of that hill. We also plan on staking in some lumber(think a U with the bottom pointed downhill) to keep the dirt where it belongs.

Hope to see ya back up there for another rip down from the Tower.:biggrin::cheers:

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
Hope to see ya back up there for another rip down from the Tower.:biggrin::cheers:
Oh hell ya. I have access to a place in Sunrise, so I'm hoping to get up a few times this year. Would love to help move some dirt, too. I love tech, but buff smooveness is always appreciated!! :biggrin:

You guys rock.

BTW, FR, get out of the furniture capital of the world or wherever you are and get down to 'Nam. My camera needs a workout....

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
Chris, only Flat'n 'Em and Crater are getting buffed, keeping the tech stuff like Balljoint, Catch 'Em and Double-Vision. Just trying to make a little something for everyone. Expect to see a brand new trail around the time they open.

Ohh yeah, Casa de Mofo is action this weekend and will remain so until Columbus Day.:clapping:

Nate, I'd love to get down there right soon, but the new work schedule is kinda messed up right now. Soon though...

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
I cannot wait to ride this sh!t. I'll be there for sure opening weekend. How many more trails are they talking about building? Any word on a pump track or any of the other features that were rumored?

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
I cannot wait to ride this sh!t. I'll be there for sure opening weekend. How many more trails are they talking about building? Any word on a pump track or any of the other features that were rumored?
The main focus for the time being is to get Flat'n Em built into the beginner trail and get the new trail 'BlackFly' built and ready to go. Pumptrack/skills park is gonna get put on a back burner.

Uncanoonuc

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
NH
I'll be taking my 12 yo son up this weekend to introduce him to the sport. He's on a trail friendly Soul Cycles Loki and is handling such stuff as Fort Rock pretty well. I haven't ridden SR at all - are there trails there that would make this a worthwhile trip for a kid that young? I'd like to get him doing smaller 3' or so drops but not so much built up stunts...Thanks!

jc

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I think he could do it. There aren't really any huge Highland style drops/stunts at Sunday River. Good trails would be Flaten'Em, 2nd Thoughts, Moose Tack. Grease Monkey also has a little drop he could try ( good landing, fairly low consequence ).

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Fun hill for sure, a bit greasy this weekend but man I love riding there. I'm excited to see what they build in the future. Thanks Boyne!!! We hit up Kingdom Trails Friday and then continued on to SR for Saturday. BTW, SR is offering really good deals on lodging, 210 for 3 of us in a room with breakfast and lift tickets!!

Mar 11, 2002
MA
hey guys, my brother is getting into biking and wants to go to a mountain. I used to ride a super 8, but I sold it a couple years ago. We were thinking of going to sunday river, but I need to rent a bike. What konas are for the $75 listed on their site?

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
Gup, Looks like you took all the fun out of that trail. :crazy:
Lookin forward to rippin up that place again!

Latah..
my thoughts exactly. looked great in the 'before' shot. still can't wait to get up there and try it out. so nice to see all these east coast mountains catching on.