Quantcast

Sunday Shock issues

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
i think it was an issue a while ago for many in this forum,
but i'm from the ol' europe aud just got my sunday a week ago.

i think i received a sunday with the wrong valved 5th e shock.
it feels so harsh and slow with all knobs completely turned out...
also my sag is more that it was expected to be-over 33%
it should have been slightly over 25% with the stock 275lbs spring installed.
and i've not gotten heavier while waiting for my bike... 79kgs (dunno in lbs...)

any infos appreciated

BTW: the IH guys did not reply for a week...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
do a search. the info is posted in this forum somewhere. I also believe it explains the procedure on the IH website. I think you can just send it straight to Progressive without needing to contact anyone.

shmity

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
Sounds like you need the updated tune. From your side of the planet, id get in touch with tim flooks and he should be able to sort you out.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
boozy1976 said:
i think it was an issue a while ago for many in this forum,
but i'm from the ol' europe aud just got my sunday a week ago.

i think i received a sunday with the wrong valved 5th e shock.
it feels so harsh and slow with all knobs completely turned out...
also my sag is more that it was expected to be-over 33%
it should have been slightly over 25% with the stock 275lbs spring installed.
and i've not gotten heavier while waiting for my bike... 79kgs (dunno in lbs...)

any infos appreciated

BTW: the IH guys did not reply for a week...
I bet the air pressure is wrong - it should be 50-60psi.
I asked the LBS to check the pressure when I picked up my Sunday and it was over 130 !
They adjusted it to 50psi and it was fine , even before the special shock tune !

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
Progressive sent out a bad batch of shocks to iron horse. Send it in to them and they will revalve it and pimp it out for you. they were promissing a 24 hour turnaround on this but apparently they are low on shock oil at the moment. i sent my shock in 2 weeks ago and they are just sitting on it :angry:

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
roscifer said:
Progressive sent out a bad batch of shocks to iron horse. Send it in to them and they will revalve it and pimp it out for you. they were promissing a 24 hour turnaround on this but apparently they are low on shock oil at the moment. i sent my shock in 2 weeks ago and they are just sitting on it :angry:
Well I just sent mine in yesterday and the lady assured me it would only be a 24hr. turn around. At first she said 1-2weeks, but I reminded her of the iron horse tech bulletin and she then told me it would only be 24 hours. I sure hope she was telling the truth.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
The new Sunday tune made a world of difference on mine. You will run less sag and the rebound will speed up to where its supposed to be. Frankly, the stock 5th made the bike feel like garbage, I couldn't get the thing off the ground to save my life and I was smacking pedals on every turn. For reference, I'm about 180 lbs. running a 300 lb. spring right now. Good luck :thumb:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Progressive handles the re-valves direct.

You probably need the new shock pins and bushings as well (the bad ones wore out rediculously fast).
Call Iron Horse at: 800-645-5477

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
toothless said:
The new Sunday tune made a world of difference on mine. You will run less sag and the rebound will speed up to where its supposed to be. Frankly, the stock 5th made the bike feel like garbage, I couldn't get the thing off the ground to save my life and I was smacking pedals on every turn. For reference, I'm about 180 lbs. running a 300 lb. spring right now. Good luck :thumb:

I was going to go with a 350 spring. I'm 190 with gear. hopefully it won't be too stiff. oh yeah, the stock tune on my bike (7.3) has giving me a total of 3 broken toes (2 on the left, on on the right, sperately) and a lost toenail on the left big toe.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
toothless said:
I saw ppl writing this before and I don't understand how can revalving alter the sag ?
I can see how the shock can be less packed during riding but it should be the same when the sag is measured in someones living room...

Any word on what progressive realy changes in the shock ?

What press. to run on the tuned shocks ?
Keep the press. at 50-60psi and play with the preload and spring rates , or raise the press. to 70-80psi (now that the shaft is less restrained) and improve pedaling efficiency ?

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
CBJ said:
The 350 spring sounds like too much - I would call and ask Ironhorse.

I think i am right on the cusp between the 2 spring rates. I think with the riding i do the heavier spring with lighter shock settings might be the better ticket. I gave progressive my weight when i sent my shock in so hopefully they will take that into account before a spring swap is made.

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
DHDror said:
I saw ppl writing this before and I don't understand how can revalving alter the sag ?
I can see how the shock can be less packed during riding but it should be the same when the sag is measured in someones living room...

Any word on what progressive realy changes in the shock ?

What press. to run on the tuned shocks ?
Keep the press. at 50-60psi and play with the preload and spring rates , or raise the press. to 70-80psi (now that the shaft is less restrained) and improve pedaling efficiency ?

my thoughts 'bout the sag is affected by the valves is
that the "sweet spot" or "dead spot" moves higher
-less sag-
because the rebound valves will be drilled during the shocktune
this allows the spring-while you're sitting on the bike-
to push the oil "easier" in the rebound direction...

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I was shown by TF what happens during a sunday re-valve. They just remove some shim washer things and move the position of some.

I hope I didnt loose anyone with my tech jargon there.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
dw wrote:
"Yo Scott, I would try a 275 or 300 on the bike. Heikki Hall, a good friend of mine is about your heigth and weight and is on a 275. I ride a 275 and I am 165 ish with gear. I know a few 200 lb riders who are on 300s. You could go either way. I rode a 300 last year for part of the year and it was not bad at all. Id say go for the 275 to start and see how you like it.

Have fun!

Dave"

I weigh in at about 187 with gear. I was planning on getting a 300lb spring, but after getting my re-tune and setting up the shock I found that I don't need much pre-load at all to get the desired sag with the 275'er.

Check your air chamber volume setting (the one that requires a socket wrench to adjust), I run mine at 1.5 turns in. 50psi in the spv (came back from re-valve with waaaay to much air), both compression settings all the way out, rebound to your taste.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
art vandelay said:
Did the revalve make a big difference?
It is the biggest difference that you could possibly make to your bike. Like night and day on the bikes that I have played with.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i and others (sayndesyn) have asked before... i ll ask again... have the tolerance issues from before been addressed ???

i m guessing yes, but 'play' in a new frame is pretty unacceptable in my book... what was the issue ??? incorrect hardware ???

just curious... plus i need a new frame...

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
Yeah apparantly it was a bushing issue and a pin issue. Mine had play on the showroom floor, so progressive is putting new bushings in and IH is sending me the new shock pins.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
partsbara said:
i and others (sayndesyn) have asked before... i ll ask again... have the tolerance issues from before been addressed ???

i m guessing yes, but 'play' in a new frame is pretty unacceptable in my book... what was the issue ??? incorrect hardware ???

just curious... plus i need a new frame...
The play came from the Progressive shock bushings having too large of a hole. They have supplied the correct size bushings and the problem is fixed. All of the prototypes had the correct size hole hardware, just the production shocks had a wrong size. I am pretty sure that Iron Horse was nto the only company who ran into this issue this year, but Progressive was awesome about it all and really took care of everyone. That is a stand up company in my book.

dw

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Im sending my 7point shock in (has the "04" serial#).
If it is gonna make the bike even better, I can't see how.
It is already as close to perfect as one can get.

I did have the "play" issue, but the new 5th hardware pretty much solved the problem.
Kudo's to IH. There may have been some 1st year issues, but they have take care of all of them w/ quick turnaroiund and zero cost. :thumb:

btw, I just sold my '03 Hollowpoint. I think that the 7point climbs almost as well. Can't see myself ever riding the Hollowpoint again when I can bomb down the trails so much better on the 7. In fact, I just cleared this local DH trail on the 7point that always used to scare the bejesus out of me on my v-10.

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
Progressive got my shock on thursday and got it back to me on monday. Impressive turnaround. The shock valving made a huge difference. The ride is much more plush and the rebound is quicker. They put some new bushings in which eliminated most of the play. I'm hoping the new pins the IH sent will eliminate all of it. All in all I'm very impressed with the sunday so far.