Quantcast

sunday shock pins...

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i know this has been a problem along with the wrong tunes on the 5ths, but does anyone have any quick solutions for this shock pin problem? i replaced my lower ones at the beginning of the season and now my top ones are showing quite a bit of play. i guess the top shock pins were a problem too? anyways, i'm heading to diablo tomorrow for the race and just found the problem now. what about this setup seen on Hill's bike? any idea what that is?

J

J5ive

Looks like theres small plates bolted to the linkage to decrease the load on the shock rod and spacers.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
There is notihng special about the setup other than the fact that it uses a specially made bolt with a bigger head because team bikes have the shock's serviced frequently and the bigger hardware holds up to repeated removal better.

dw

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I run a lower pin for the top pivot also.

It fit's perfecty, you just have to get some new bolts and washers (lower pin requires bigger bolts).

That, combined with the tight-tolerance bushings in the shock and I havn't had a problem since. Well, it's only been two weeks, but my original ones wore out the first day.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
dw said:
There is notihng special about the setup other than the fact that it uses a specially made bolt with a bigger head because team bikes have the shock's serviced frequently and the bigger hardware holds up to repeated removal better.dw
I think this makes sense for everybody and I also run lower bolt on top.

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
SPAM? SPERM? OT!!

on topic:
i phoned with TF concerning the Bolt on top of SAMs shockmount
it is an ordinary M8 Bolt... Length? measure yourself...

BTW: today my tight tolerance hadware arrived which i ordered last friday-FAST
But: what are these blue and black alloy spacers-or where do they belong on the sunday???
call me stupid but i have not rebuilt my rig by now especially that i have it for 8 days now...
@dw: you should know it!

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
On some sundays the spacers are requiredto sit between the lower linkage plate and the bearings. You will all ready have some in there but they might not be the correct thickness. replace your hardware if you dont feel play dont worry about them.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
boozy1976 said:
SPAM? SPERM? OT!!

on topic:
i phoned with TF concerning the Bolt on top of SAMs shockmount
it is an ordinary M8 Bolt... Length? measure yourself...
Just so you know, a standard off-the-shelf bolt is not a solution for a Sunday shock mount, or any bike shock mount for that matter. Standard M8 bolts have a diameter of 7.73 - 7.87mm nominal. The actual tolerance range set by ANSI is 7.78-8.00, but they almost never approach 8.00 diameter. The specially made pin has a diameter of 7.99mm. Shock hardware from FOX measures 8.00 to 8.02mm ID, Progressive new hardware about the same, old hardware had a larger ID.

Dave

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
HAH...you guys think you have issues? Should have seen what the hell happens when you build a CATEPILLER diesel turbo with inboard bearings that the OD is OFF no more than 2 One Thousandth's of a millimeter.
BIG CRUNCHING SOUND...followed by lots of older men with big paychecks flying out an office and stopping production for 12 hours!!!

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
Progressive claims to have installed new reducers/bushings when they did my tune, but there was still play in both mounts. Got the new pins and it eliminated the play in the lower mount, but it's still there in the upper mount. Called up IH and they said there was nothing they could do about it and I should expect some play. Seems this issue hasn't been fully resolved?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
When they did my re-tune the definitely did NOT put in new bushings. I could tell because the inside of one was all gouged from me beating the old (very bent) pin out with a hammer and screwdriver.

I replaced them with the tight-tolerance bushings that came with the pins from IH and it's been all good since.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
art vandelay said:
Interesting. IH only sent me the pins. I'll see if I can get them to send me the correct bushings.
The Progressive parts can ONLY ship from Progressive.

ALL of the pins that came from Iron Horse from day one have the correct diameter. The first pins had a material problem, a vendor substituted a lower grade material for the heat treated 4140 steel that was supposed to be used. Then the factory admitted their mistake, and subcontracted a shop to build new hardware to replace the wong material hardware. This hardware was drilled and tapped 2X too deep, resulting in hollow hardware for all intents and purposes. The strongest and heaviest riders could still bend this hardware. Finally, now, the correct hardware has been sent again, and it has been verified to be the correct material and manufactured to the correct original and tested spec. It is the same as was tested all 2004, and would take an amazing feat of destruction to bend or hurt in any way.

Any play issue falls directly and ONLY on the Progressive supplied hardware. The Iron Horse supplied shock pins have NEVER been a contributor to this.

Hope this helps.

Dave

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
so why did i get the shock axles, pins and spacers from IH?
i installed them yesterday and STILL have play
less play than before but still play. :mad:
this can not be correct!
perfect CS from IH all the way to europe-no doubt!
but unfortunately did not fully resolve the problem-just made it smaller...

and now?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I have seen some "correct" shock hard ware that is not correct.
When you fit the shock on with the new hardware the shock be pretty tough to squeeze into the frame, if your shock just "falls" into place its the wrong kit.

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
the new pins fall through the new shock axles(same with the old but even more obviously)...

i have to squeeze the new pins into the upper alloy rocker
same thing in the lower shock mounting...
there is not the problem

i think its obviously the shock axles...
the thing is that i just got them for replacement from IH... :think:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
There is a hollow steel pin that presses into the shock. It has too large of a hole in it. You need to get the new one from Progressive. Thats all I have for you man!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
boozy1976 said:
warranty or not?
Progressive will give you the pins for free. The shock really should be tuned by Porgressive because they didn't come with the correct valving or pins from Progressive. This has been discussed in a few other threads. Check in the search function. I have Sundays with DHX and 5ths that are perfect.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
boozy1976 said:
but i already had the shock tuned by TF
and he said the hardware would cost the normal retail price?!?!?!?
Things are being done a little different in the UK.
TF tuned is carrying out the tunes for free. shock hardware will cost extra.

Where did you purchase the bike from?

At present there are 2 importers for Iron Horse in the UK 1 for England one for Scotland. I know for a fact that the importer in Scotland (alpinebikes) replaces all the hardware on the bikes before they leave the building. Im guessing you bought your bike from the English importer or mail ordered it from abroad.

Contact you store you bought the bike from (Im guessing pearce cycles) and ask them for the new kits.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I can't speak for the other UK importer but Alpine bikes got corrective kits made up and had the exact number made for the number of bikes that were imported. If you call TF tuned and speak to Neil he knows all the sizes you need. You will have to pay for them but its worth it.

Its real pisser that progressive messed up so bad. I wonder if the spec change to DHXs in '06 is for performance or middle finger to progressive.
Im guessing a little of both.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Have i got the correct hardware from ironhorse ?

Are the top and bottom pins the same length ?

Ironhorse sent me 2 shock pins x 65mm long (no end bolts)
and a 2 x22mm long shock reducers

My new shock pins from ironhorse
are 65mm long with a 25mm deep tapped hole
at each end leaving 15mm solid in the middle

Are these the new improved ones ?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
jungle said:
Have i got the correct hardware from ironhorse ?

Are the top and bottom pins the same length ?

Ironhorse sent me 2 shock pins x 65mm long (no end bolts)
and a 2 x22mm long shock reducers

My new shock pins from ironhorse
are 65mm long with a 25mm deep tapped hole
at each end leaving 15mm solid in the middle

Are these the new improved ones ?
There are newer ones w/ even less tap depth. Email tomb at ironhorsebikes.com for them.

-ska todd

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
ska todd said:
There are newer ones w/ even less tap depth. Email tomb at ironhorsebikes.com for them.

-ska todd

props to IH just got my pair in the mail, fast service:thumb: