Quantcast

Sunday Slackers

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd love another saw or 2. Right now I've got a Stihl 251 Wood Boss with an 18" bar. Wood be nice to have a top handle electric and something that could take a longer bar.
I've got an ms290 maxed out with a 20" bar. I'd get more use out of something small for limbing than I would from something bigger.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've got an ms290 maxed out with a 20" bar. I'd get more use out of something small for limbing than I would from something bigger.
The larger saw would primarily be for milling. Plenty of oaks around here that topple, would be nice to get some lumber out of them.

My saw is a decent all around, but it hits that middle ground of being a little large to lug around, but a little small for bigger tasks. And so it is.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I would recommend more power than you would first think. Milling is fun but definitely makes the saw work.

What size stuff are you wanting to mill?
Probably nothing wider than 24". Just bums me out to see oaks fall over in the wind, only for the town to cut them up and chuck the pieces in the woods to rot. Would be nice to salvage some timbers out of that. I have designs of making a bed frame and would love some 6x6s.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Probably nothing wider than 24". Just bums me out to see oaks fall over in the wind, only for the town to cut them up and chuck the pieces in the woods to rot. Would be nice to salvage some timbers out of that. I have designs of making a bed frame and would love some 6x6s.
I’d recommend a 70+ cc saw for that. Curious to see what @gonefirefightin has ti say. With a Granberg type mill you will look ~6” of usable bar on how they attach. So if you are after 24” capacity you would need a saw that could handle a 32” or so bar. I’m in a heavily wooded area so there are lots of older Stihl stuff for sale. An older 044 or 066 can be had for a couple hundred bucks, then rebuild the engine and have a fairly inexpensive milling saw.
I’ve got a few tree service buddies and I try to save as much wood as I can mill. It just ends up in the dump if not.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
If you are just doing timbers up to 6" or so even a 362 sized saw will work, its once you start doing slabs over 10" wide is when you really need the cubes. I have done more milling with the 440/660 sized saws than any other.

The real trick is to use actual ripping chain and keeping it square when filing. Using standard crosscut chain for milling will do the trick but not very well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Friend of mine was an arborist and would cut up all the trees he took down for firewood. I was able to convince him to get a bandsaw and sell the shit to furniture makers.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
If you are just doing timbers up to 6" or so even a 362 sized saw will work, its once you start doing slabs over 10" wide is when you really need the cubes. I have done more milling with the 440/660 sized saws than any other.

The real trick is to use actual ripping chain and keeping it square when filing. Using standard crosscut chain for milling will do the trick but not very well.
Doh! Yes, I unassumingly tried first milling with out a ripping chain. Don’t do it, it sucks.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Friend of mine was an arborist and would cut up all the trees he took down for firewood. I was able to convince him to get a bandsaw and sell the shit to furniture makers.
Round here it’s it Instagram epoxy table folks. You saw a half assed shitty plank they will buy it and dumb 30 gallons of the shit on it. It’s art or something I guess. :bad:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
My 881 is my go to saw these days for slabs since I have an abundance of 4’ and up sized logs everywhere. I have to hire another person just to move the 2” slabs since they are so heavy.

this is a bro holding the saw for reference

04744DEF-6C56-453F-85C9-AD112C0D784B.jpeg

Here are the finished slabs from limb wood. Makes for a nice buggy blue when seasoned. This pic would be the equivalent of $400 when below 11% moisture and no checks.

BCF49E7E-8F1A-4E91-8C31-B1B69BCAACCB.jpeg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I’d recommend a 70+ cc saw for that. Curious to see what @gonefirefightin has ti say. With a Granberg type mill you will look ~6” of usable bar on how they attach. So if you are after 24” capacity you would need a saw that could handle a 32” or so bar. I’m in a heavily wooded area so there are lots of older Stihl stuff for sale. An older 044 or 066 can be had for a couple hundred bucks, then rebuild the engine and have a fairly inexpensive milling saw.
I’ve got a few tree service buddies and I try to save as much wood as I can mill. It just ends up in the dump if not.
Never rebuilt a saw engine. Seems like it should be fairly straightforward...no? Are parts readily available?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My 881 is my go to saw these days for slabs since I have an abundance of 4’ and up sized logs everywhere. I have to hire another person just to move the 2” slabs since they are so heavy.

this is a bro holding the saw for reference

View attachment 168756

Here are the finished slabs from limb wood. Makes for a nice buggy blue when seasoned. This pic would be the equivalent of $400 when below 11% moisture and no checks.

View attachment 168757
when its time to upgrade our dining room set (likely next house) i will probably make the set myself, there is a local sawmill that sells flitch cut. and i mean close. ~10 minute drive.

Last edited: