Quantcast

***Sundays GMT***

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Dad was rolling through our new town in his way home from a BMW rally. Was great to see him and show him the new house. Then got out for a river float. Successful first run of the Squirt Banana. Had a nice time playing in the mellow class II water with these fools…

0FAAAAFA-8582-4519-BD5C-55ADF2D80C3A.jpeg

if you look in the right side of the picture, you might notice a guy’s head sticking out of the water with a swim cap in it. No word of a lie, this dude was in the damn river with no PFD, just a wetsuit and swim fins, swimming his ass up the Arkansas River. Just when you think you’ve seen it all…

E486DD5D-70F4-4CAC-9A2F-66B72FFD8D09.jpeg

IAB is that you?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Beach day today, gotta start hauling the trailer down there so the kiddo can get a nap in and we can stay longer. Good times, but ever try explaining to an 20 month old that he can’t just go swim by himself in the ocean? Damn kid loves the water, maybe a bit too much.

Chores done, lunches packed, time for whisky

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
New house? The rental with the ditch being dug by the owner next to it? or?!!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In good Wyoming Culinary news, we found a Thai restaurant in Cheyenne that was fan-damn-tastic.
Anong Thai. The interestingly dumpy exterior belied the goodness within.
Would bang repeatedly. (They have sister restaurants in Laramie and Rawlins)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In good Wyoming Culinary news, we found a Thai restaurant in Cheyenne that was fan-damn-tastic.
Authentic?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I'll be the judge of that should I venture into Ram 3500-and-cowboy-hat land some time

:D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dad was rolling through our new town in his way home from a BMW rally. Was great to see him and show him the new house. Then got out for a river float. Successful first run of the Squirt Banana. Had a nice time playing in the mellow class II water with these fools…

View attachment 162378

if you look in the right side of the picture, you might notice a guy’s head sticking out of the water with a swim cap in it. No word of a lie, this dude was in the damn river with no PFD, just a wetsuit and swim fins, swimming his ass up the Arkansas River. Just when you think you’ve seen it all…

View attachment 162379

IAB is that you?
What kind of inflatable kayak is that? They any good?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What kind of inflatable kayak is that? They any good?
We had a few out there on the river... the green one is an Aire Tributary Spud and the red one is it's older sibling the Aire Tributary Tater. Mine is the yellow one, it's an NRS/Star Outlaw I. Are they "good" or not depends on what you're expectations are and what you want to do with them. For us, they're perfect because they are all fairly low price point and will handle pretty much any water we'll throw them into for the foreseeable future. They're whitewater IKs, so they're not gonna be great or even that good on flat water like a lake, meaning they won't track very well but you can go paddle around if you want. And in the whitewater, they're probably fine to run even harder Class III water and maybe some Class IV depending on the skill of the paddler. I am nowhere near any of that, I've only done pretty mellow Class II from what I understand. I may work into some Class III stuff this year, as river levels drop some and the sections of the Arkansas River above town get a bit easier. Also of note: I don't really know much or anything about IKs, kinda just now learning, so keep that in mind when reading my drivel.

I've run the Spud down the same stretch of river a couple times before, and my new boat the Squirt Banana is definitely more stable. And it should be: it wider, longer, has pointy bow and stern with more rocker. It floats up and over the waves I've hit rather than punching through them. It's less "spinny" as you paddle it, so it seems to want to go more straight. But the tubes are smaller in diameter, and the floor is thicker, so you sit up higher in the boat and when you go sideways into a hydraulic the water wants to grab the side of the boat with more force. So there's trade offs for everything. I haven't paddled the Tater yet, but me and the owner of that boat will definitely trade off in the coming weeks. If I had my druthers, I think I'r have gotten something like the Aire Tributary Tomcat Solo but right now IKs are like bikes, you can't be too picky about brand or color, just get something that fits and works for your intended purpose.

Last edited: