Quantcast

***sunday's GMT***

gonefirefightin

free wieners
wat/Watt? More reading material pls
I dislike the term "smart home" the more I learn of the true nature of the concept because it is backwards in terms of using more low voltage as they did in the 50's and prior but the term applies to the automation itself.

If you have these basic "smart" components such as a main service breaker/distribution platform, low voltage lighting via PoE ethernet protocol, and USB low voltage outlet for consumer rechargeables, you can essentially monitor your usage and automate your appliances such as heating and cooling times and efficiency using enabled mini splits, fans, and zones along with eliminating parasitic draws and getting anywhere from 20-40% savings on grid power usage.

But more importantly, I am using this build scenario to prep the house in AZ for off-grid solar and battery to be able to not waste or overbuild a system for usage needs. With major appliances on gas, it makes a big difference in the total amperage for a 200-amp service

for example, Just the cost savings in Romex, traditional 110v lighting fixtures, switches, outlets, bulbs, and cameras for my houseplan would be around $12k with me installing it all, $22k to have it installed, going low voltage puts me around 4 grand for all the wiring, and fixtures and doesnt require any codes or inspections.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm. I buy the cheaper to build aspect. but lighting, etc. really adds up to that much of total usage?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The only way it might is that LED drivers output at something low, like 5V DC or so iirc. I can’t imagine the drivers are that inefficient, though.

Every LED be it from a dedicated low voltage system or a screw in 120v bulb runs on low voltage. The only real difference is where you step down said voltage. Even then I think a low voltage system requires a local current controller as an LED is not a linear device. They require a minimal forward voltage and beyond that essentially have zero resistance so require a constant current controller. On top of that, given similar efficiencies, for the same power a lower voltage requires an increase in current so a low voltage system will actually pull more current and will have higher current losses (although minimal).

6 20A circuits is something like 10kW. That is a lot of lighting. I assume he is planning come kind of grow operation.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Because @stoney got me thinking about karts again, I’ve been researching.

Found one I’d like this evening. Let’s see how real this is….
I have access to an old John Deer Gator. It provides a lot of fun. It also useful for a lot of other tasks. Just used it to remove dead deer carcasses from our Camp. As we have been at our site the firewood range has expanded. Many improvements were made possible with the Gator. Proper usage is a useful skill for your children. I taught my nieces to Parallel Park with it. repaired the right of way, hauled lumber and gravel, pulled many a stump and vines with it. Moved Boulders. Our friend mark uses it to facilitate his hunting efforts to feed himself.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Every LED be it from a dedicated low voltage system or a screw in 120v bulb runs on low voltage. The only real difference is where you step down said voltage. Even then I think a low voltage system requires a local current controller as an LED is not a linear device. They require a minimal forward voltage and beyond that essentially have zero resistance so require a constant current controller. On top of that, given similar efficiencies, for the same power a lower voltage requires an increase in current so a low voltage system will actually pull more current and will have higher current losses (although minimal).

6 20A circuits is something like 10kW. That is a lot of lighting. I assume he is planning come kind of grow operation.
I said the same thing, the electrical plan for the house was calling for a shit ton of non-led can lights at 12 amps a piece and they were everywhere inside, and every few feet in the soffits on the exterior. that was the main reason I did a double take when looking at low voltage since the LED fixtures now will take straight DC at less than 12 volts without transformers and other load draws.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I said the same thing, the electrical plan for the house was calling for a shit ton of non-led can lights at 12 amps a piece and they were everywhere inside, and every few feet in the soffits on the exterior. that was the main reason I did a double take when looking at low voltage since the LED fixtures now will take straight DC at less than 12 volts without transformers and other load draws.
That makes sense if they are designing it around screw in sockets which probably need to handle something like a 200 watt incandescent. But you can do hardwired 120v LEDs. I redid my basement with them and they only pull about a tenth of an amp a piece.

Maybe code requires dumb shit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

gonefirefightin

free wieners
That makes sense if they are designing it around screw in sockets which probably need to handle something like a 200 watt incandescent. But you can do hardwired 120v LEDs. I redid my basement with them and they only pull about a tenth of an amp a piece.

Maybe code requires dumb shit.
Since I have the time and enjoy the process, I am planning to use the raw power format of the PoE ethernet by using the 48v DC direct to bare wire LEDs that allow up to 48v (which is most of them) that way I can put every single light on a port of the switch and use raspberry pi to automate.

total geek shit but I will enjoy it

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Since I have the time and enjoy the process, I am planning to use the raw power format of the PoE ethernet by using the 48v DC direct to bare wire LEDs that allow up to 48v (which is most of them) that way I can put every single light on a port of the switch and use raspberry pi to automate.

total geek shit but I will enjoy it
One of the hits for 48V LED is not confidence inspiring

that page said:
A 48V lighting system utilises less voltage than traditional systems, which means it requires less energy to operate
o rly