Quantcast

Sunday's Ride thread

splat

Nam I am
SO Yesterday I took a little stoll over to the Hopping brook Gas line to see how the trail looks, well a lot of Snowmobiles and Quads had been up and down the line packing the snow down pretty good , But it was after noon and the temp was above freezing , so it was pretty soft. but the gears in my head were already turning :D

I gace IF_rider a call and and we decided to go out early, before the temp got above freezing. When i got up at 7 it was 22 and when I left to go ride at 8 it was 27.

so We hit the trails and they were pretty firm in most places but some times you would sink through , overall it was very hard riding. You know it is had riding when You have to pedal downhill just to keep the bike moving.

here is IF_rided demoing how to stay in the sleds path.

well This pipe line is really pretty uneventutfull. but we followed it till it joined up with a set of Power lines ( where the Pipe line actually splits ) and we followed it down to the Medway Power station

This is a Huge Station , You can see the Generator stacks on the left side . it is an 8 Stack station and the generators were not running today. thisis also one ofthe Main Distrubutions Stations in the North east .and Boy could you hear the place Humming !

a Little closer to the actual station, this thing is huge ! I have worked in High Power before and I must say I was a little nervous being that close to that much power!!

and from this power station there are High power lines that go in 6 Differenet directions so We started following a Quad track that went off on another set of power lines , buit the Bums didn't go very far. It figures the quads go where you don't want them to go , but don't go places you want them to! .
it was too bad it looked like a straight shot down the other Line .

and way we cut over to the Other Gas Pipe ( it split up above ) and Hooked back to the Pipe line we started on and Hauled But back down the Pipeline

We got back to a Motorcycle Pit which is fun to play in , and it looked like the snowmobiles were having a good time in here. I snapped the picture just a bit early , be fore IF_rider did a wheelie , oh well next time .

By this time the temperature was above freezing and everything was softening up , which made riding very hard for the final part of our trek , but we did 11 Miles in about 2 hours. it felt good to get out .

I got on the bicycle this morning intending to putter down the road a
little bit to inspect the bridge near me on the quarry road, no
helmet, even, just my pork pie hat.

Somehow I wound up heading to North Street, and thence over to the
waterworks, where I clambered around on the base of the dam, managing
to stick my right foot in a beaver canal, filling the boot with ice
water. The dam's leaking as ever, not noticeably any faster than it
has been.

I then wandered up the west side of the reservoir to the tentative
trail I established last fall, and wound up skirting the southern edge
of the red pines, then picked up the old easterly
logging road, following it until it reached the head of the Norton
Brook, then southerly just at the edge of the ice storm chaos, and
wound up picking up the old trail on the east side of the reservoir. I
now think that I have a defensible around-the-reservoir loop
established.

I saw plenty of deer, coyote, and turkey tracks, and a ruffled grouse.

I wound up back at the house about three hours after departing, with
parts of the sodden foot just starting to turn a fine shade of purple.
I didn't see any other people at any time during the journey.

All in all it was a fine push in the woods, with little pedaling, what
with snow and brush, and plenty of time to just stop and look up at
the trees and listen to the wind.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
It was 70 degrees out today. I hit up bidwell park for a bit today for some rocky goodness. Then I found some sweet trails about 30 minutes from my house........Sweet weekend.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
johnbryanpeters said:
What is this 70 degrees you speak of? It sounds interesting. :mumble:

It boggled me as well. It was cold an rainy one day, and the next day... BAM!...... springtime baby........