Quantcast

***Sundaze GMT***

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
HEY! lolol I dragged my fat lazy ass to the high school track at 5:30 this morning and chased my tail for two hours. 16.6 miles DONE. rofl Heading out for some mountain biking now. There is a Pivot demo and Wife wants in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Took some sushi to the local brewery last night. It was their 1 year anniversary, so there was live music and special beers on tap.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Another early morning for no apparent reason. Both girls again today. Today's tasks include another trip to Costco, King Soopers, and finding a shop that carries youth armour for Haley. Evo is in Dever, so hopefully they have something. There are a few Golden stores that might too, so we might head that way and try there, before doing a run at table mountain or green mtn on the way home.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Another early morning for no apparent reason. Both girls again today. Today's tasks include another trip to Costco, King Soopers, and finding a shop that carries youth armour for Haley. Evo is in Dever, so hopefully they have something. There are a few Golden stores that might too, so we might head that way and try there, before doing a run at table mountain or green mtn on the way home.
Get her youth skating pads. Huge market compared to cycling-specific and it does the same job. Probably cheaper that anything you may find too.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Watched the Hardline race this morning. good stuff. I'd like to see another 'independent' race or three start up.
Feeling a bit better again, another few days.

Absolute FTS work issues late last week has me thinking about a change. Honestly didn't think I'd say that again after landing at this place. I have such a great company, but you can't choose your coworkers. Meh.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Probably gonna ride bikes again today, darn the luck.

Speaking of luck, my truck has some kind of electrical issue I need to either sort out or get sorted out. I have my theories, gonna work on those first. Vague description of the issue: battery keeps going dead when the truck sits for a few days. The battery is 18 months old, and the truck had this same issue with the previous battery. Alternator is charging the battery. The battery is most likely not "bad". Problems started after Baja, which also means after we wired a bunch of stuff into the truck like LED lights, comms radio, etc. My theory is there's a bad ground, a short, or something else that's putting a small drain on the battery. When I drive the truck regularly, the alternator is keeping the battery charged enough that it doesn't go completely dead. But since I work from home, it's pretty easy for me to not drive for a day or three, and even then it's only short distances.

Have you tried Mojo Wheels? They've kinda been the go-to for DH-y stuff for a long time. I would expect them to have stock on pads/armor over any of the Golden shops.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Have you actually looked at what options there are out there for mtb specific kids armor?
MX shops are your friends here.
That said, kids are durable.
Head, elbows, hands and let em rip if you’re just talking trail riding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
nope.
and with absolutely zero research I still bet kids skate stuff > kids mtb stuff
Yes it's cheaper. Wanna guess why? Unless you're just derping around the neighborhood I wouldn't recommend it. Plus it sounds like stoney is looking for something for actual trail riding.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Probably gonna ride bikes again today, darn the luck.

Speaking of luck, my truck has some kind of electrical issue I need to either sort out or get sorted out. I have my theories, gonna work on those first. Vague description of the issue: battery keeps going dead when the truck sits for a few days. The battery is 18 months old, and the truck had this same issue with the previous battery. Alternator is charging the battery. The battery is most likely not "bad". Problems started after Baja, which also means after we wired a bunch of stuff into the truck like LED lights, comms radio, etc. My theory is there's a bad ground, a short, or something else that's putting a small drain on the battery. When I drive the truck regularly, the alternator is keeping the battery charged enough that it doesn't go completely dead. But since I work from home, it's pretty easy for me to not drive for a day or three, and even then it's only short distances.

Have you tried Mojo Wheels? They've kinda been the go-to for DH-y stuff for a long time. I would expect them to have stock on pads/armor over any of the Golden shops.
I have a spare trickle if you want it for a while.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yes it's cheaper. Wanna guess why? Unless you're just derping around the neighborhood I wouldn't recommend it. Plus it sounds like stoney is looking for something for actual trail riding.
Yep. Knee/shin combos and long arm elbows. IXS, Raceface, etc grade.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I shall become more familiar with Pivot’s crash replacement policy soon, I imagine. (But I’ll try to stick it out to the end of the season so as to not put another 3 week long hole in it.)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Who even knows what “side” stuff got wired on. Not me. What I do know is the truck took a beating in Baja, so even if stuff was wired correctly to begin, it might be damaged now.
Ooooooo...........

You're best bet in this case then is to push the truck into a ditch and set it on fire.

I shall become more familiar with Pivot’s crash replacement policy soon, I imagine. (But I’ll try to stick it out to the end of the season so as to not put another 3 week long hole in it.)
:fie:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That rock was just kicked up as I rode along, for the record. No crashes, no funny business. Only noticed it when back at the vehicle at the end of the ride: “hey, this rock looks like it’s stuck in my frame.”

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That rock was just kicked up as I rode along, for the record. No crashes, no funny business. Only noticed it when back at the vehicle at the end of the ride: “hey, this rock looks like it’s stuck in my frame.”
Cover the hole with black gorilla tape, job done.

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Pivot demo went well, and it was nice riding with the Splats. We covered about 11 miles. I rode three bikes: Mach 5.5, Switchblade, Mach 429SL. The 429 was my favorite. I liked the less travel and more XC feel of it. My bike tastes have changed. I don't think I cracked any of the frames. #toshi The bike shop sponsor bringing bagels was a nice touch. I was hungry and ate two bagels.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
7 miles/500ft of single track for Haley and Hannah today (Bear Creek Lake Park, Mt. Carbon loop for CO monkeys). Haley got stuck on a couple extended, relatively steep climbs. She only had to walk on one dh because I made her, not because she wanted to. Hannah was not a fan on the really rough stuff, but wasn't too bad for the majority of the ride. It took about 4 hours, ~2 of which was because of Hannah paced riding with the trailer. Haley is surprisingly not ruined. Getting Noodles and custard because she earned that shit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So your bike shit's all fixed now, @stoney ? If you're randomly free to ride Tuesday afternoon I'm going then, and Sunday morning Mountain Lion because that's what I do, repeatedly.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hey, wow, just realized that I walked 60 miles this week and did a ten mile mt bike ride with zero swelling at the repaired ankle. A little stiffness and some minor discomfort but hell I'm not quite to the 6 month post surgery mark. I'll take it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So your bike shit's all fixed now, @stoney ? If you're randomly free to ride Tuesday afternoon I'm going then, and Sunday morning Mountain Lion because that's what I do, repeatedly.
Hardtail with trailer hitch. Nukeproof is at Elevation for RS warranty issue.