Quantcast

***Sundaze GMT***

Going riding with the lady friend today.

I think we have a hortnet/wasp problem in one corner of the roof. Today is pretty much the second consecutive warm day and there are a bunch buzzing around one corner. Any tips? No nest or anything can be seen. Wait until dusk and spray the shit out of the area with killer and hunker down with beers?
Leave them alone and they won't bother you.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Going riding with the lady friend today.

I think we have a hortnet/wasp problem in one corner of the roof. Today is pretty much the second consecutive warm day and there are a bunch buzzing around one corner. Any tips? No nest or anything can be seen. Wait until dusk and spray the shit out of the area with killer and hunker down with beers?
You'd let them build nests in your roof?

They are right near the front door, so they are going to get removed. Can't have them zinging the dog or us.
Hornets are pretty much harmless. My parents' garden house has hornets every other year. They sound frightening but aren't aggressive, and hunt down yellow jackets and other pests in the area.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hornets are pretty much harmless. My parents' garden house has hornets every other year. They sound frightening but aren't aggressive, and hunt down yellow jackets and other pests in the area.
Da fuq?

Hornets are yellow jackets. Wasps are more chill, but hornets suck dick.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just finished made from scratch lemon blueberry pancakes with fresh blueberry compote, eggs and bacon. It’s a little after four in the afternoon. Might need a nap. I don’t know what the fuck people are protesting about. Lock down seems tolerable to me.
i am shocked my parents have stayed home....yeah they are getting on each others nerves but they aren't dead.

fucking gastonia has acted like there was never a stay home order in the first place....yet only like 3 deaths....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Serious question: why the fuck is sourdough bread so popular all of a sudden? Did I miss some sort of hipster bread convention or something?:confused:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
welp that was interesting. went up to the other pisgah for a family hike on yancey. parked at my buddy's house at the bottom, about a minute after we started up the trail we heard a shit ton on sirens tearing up the road. assumed it was paramedics going after a car crash or bike wreck. we come down and there's cops blocking people from coming up the road. apparently we were near the end of a failed armed robbery/stolen car chase that went for 25 miles on back country roads and ended with the car catching on fire, a shootout, and the suspect doa. wild. fun soak in the creek after the hike though!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This sourdough trend has been going on for over a year, if you're trying to associate it with the cOviDz.
Hmmm... I'll have to take your word for it. I know that everyone around here that I know doing sourdough has been a direct result of the lockdown and the inability to get yeast...

I suspect the popularity of it prior would be due to the usual suspects: fucking hippies. :mad:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hmmm... I'll have to take your word for it. I know that everyone around here that I know doing sourdough has been a direct result of the lockdown and the inability to get yeast...

I suspect the popularity of it prior would be due to the usual suspects: fucking hippies. :mad:
Shit......Am hippie, can confirm.

I got my sourdough starter from my parents when I moved out when I turned 18. Sourdough pancakes powered many meals in my singledom. Our starter is probably at least 25 years old.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
So... when you go on multi-week vacations, do you have a sourdough-starter-sitter? Just wondering how that works...
I just shove it in the back of the fridge. It's sometimes sat for months unused. It separates after a time, but I always just stir it back up and throw it in a fresh batch of water and flour. It's always come back.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This sourdough trend has been going on for over a year, if you're trying to associate it with the cOviDz.
If you say so, I had not noticed before. It is a real PITA (yet not a real pita), I would not bother if not for Covid. OTOH, a good survival skill to learn.
:stupid:
Shit......Am hippie, can confirm.

I got my sourdough starter from my parents when I moved out when I turned 18. Sourdough pancakes powered many meals in my singledom. Our starter is probably at least 25 years old.
Holy crap, that is awesome. How much flour do you feed it in a year?
That's good to know... 'cause ain't nobody got time to feed that fucking thing twice a day. :D
:stupid:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Holy crap, that is awesome. How much flour do you feed it in a year?
I dunno. These days, I make sourdough pancakes or waffles maybe once or twice a month. Recipe calls for 2 cups flour, 2 cups water and the starter night before. Reserve 1/2 cup before you bake every time, continue for 20+ years.

This is an updated version of what I grew up with and what I still use today. I don't know where my dad got it, but I can not ever remember a time when a copy of this did not exist in my house.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
@Pesqueeb 's zombie starter notwithstanding you should try to feed your starter weekly.

Over that time it will feed on itself (ferment) and make pot liquor / "teh alcohol" which is the clear / sour liquid on top that I typically pour off, though most folks mix in.

If I'm leaving town for multiple weeks, I will stick mine in the freezer which puts the yeast in suspended animation.

When poking around online it appears drying it can make it last indefinitely (i.e. 10+ years...) so I think it makes sense to dry some when you have a good batch going in case of fuck up...

I've been running mine for 15 years or so and had a few "funky" invaders take over when I wasn't on top of weekly feeding... In those cases I scraped a cup or two of the good looking stuff fed it back up and threw away the off colored stuff.

ETA: @StiHacka was commenting how fickle his sourdough was re: temperature. I've typically fed mine in colder temps (i.e. right when I pull it out of the fridge) and my no-knead sourdough bread method involves an overnight slow proof in the fridge so I think my sourdough yeast have evolved over time to be better eaters in colder temps / neglect...

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
@Pesqueeb 's zombie starter notwithstanding you should try to feed your starter weekly.

Over that time it will feed on itself (ferment) and make pot liquor / "teh alcohol" which is the clear / sour liquid on top that I typically pour off, though most folks mix in.
TIL

Yeah, I get a liquid. Honestly thought it was just separation. I just mix it back together with a fork and dump it in to my newest batch. Never been "funky" at all, everyone loves the waffles.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
... everyone loves the waffles.
Ditto, we use this recipe once a week -- and I don't bother waiting 4 hours, though I'm sure that would help flavor. If you freeze them, they reheat just fine in toaster oven, (butter/canola oil) fat is the key for crispy brown deliciousness...

We broke (wore out) a few different waffle makers before settling on this Waring Pro Belgian model (though I can't imagine we spent THAT much for it 15+ years ago...)

1588618931544.png

1588619418338.png