Quantcast

***Sundaze GMT***

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Started watching LotR with Haley this evening. Looks like she'll probably be starting the book and we're only to the point when they get to Rivendale.

Ruined a buddy's day by calculating their college school savings requirement. They had a few family members heavily fund their daughter when she was born and have over $100k now. They have a family legacy at Stanford and are hoping to get her there, so we calculated for that. Using 6% school inflation and 8% RoR, they will need to save $930/m for the next 13yrs because it's $70k/yr right now. He texted me back later and said they are thinking public schools are sounding a LOT better now (because they're funded).

If any of you guys want me to do that math for you, just msg me: kid current age, yrs expected in school, and how much you expect to/want to pay for annually, your estimates for growth (or use mine). If you have existing balances and want to know how much you're on track for, let me know your existing balance and how much you're saving monthly. If you want to know what you'll need to do given what you have, I'll need current balance (or rounded off). I need to do these for practice anyways, so it's helping me out too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m counting on CU Boulder or scholarships for my kids. Got other things to worry about. :D

9 credits free per year since I’m faculty.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Started watching LotR with Haley this evening. Looks like she'll probably be starting the book and we're only to the point when they get to Rivendale.

Ruined a buddy's day by calculating their college school savings requirement. They had a few family members heavily fund their daughter when she was born and have over $100k now. They have a family legacy at Stanford and are hoping to get her there, so we calculated for that. Using 6% school inflation and 8% RoR, they will need to save $930/m for the next 13yrs because it's $70k/yr right now. He texted me back later and said they are thinking public schools are sounding a LOT better now (because they're funded).

If any of you guys want me to do that math for you, just msg me: kid current age, yrs expected in school, and how much you expect to/want to pay for annually, your estimates for growth (or use mine). If you have existing balances and want to know how much you're on track for, let me know your existing balance and how much you're saving monthly. If you want to know what you'll need to do given what you have, I'll need current balance (or rounded off). I need to do these for practice anyways, so it's helping me out too.
I've basically just accepted that I'll save what I can save and she'll get what she gets. No sense running the numbers to tell me what I already know, that we'll have to take student loans. ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've basically just accepted that I'll save what I can save and she'll get what she gets. No sense running the numbers to tell me what I already know, that we'll have to take student loans. ;)
Nothing like crushing debt to keep someone motivated in their studies, it certainly motivated me.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I’m counting on CU Boulder or scholarships for my kids. Got other things to worry about. :D

9 credits free per year since I’m faculty.
Our system spits out $34k/yr present value for CU. It's still a huge hit, no matter how you look at it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Day care becomes 529 contributions. If you can make that transition, you can save thousands by college.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Our DSO doesn't seem to be obedient enough for school. So I'm going to spend all her college monies on bike parts.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
For reference:

If you saved up for Stanford, you could probably send your kid to NZ and they probably wouldn’t even have to work to support themselves.
Or send kids to McGill university in Montreal. Plane tickets cost less. ;). Learning French and an endless supply of poutine is a bonus.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Day care becomes 529 contributions. If you can make that transition, you can save thousands by college.
She doesn't go to daycare, my wife is a SAHM. No dice there. With any luck wifey will get some sorta work once kid is in school, but given how unpredictable school schedules are, we'll see.

I've got money tucked away and continue to add to it, and I know my FIL created an account for her too (no idea how much though). She won't be fully funded where ever she wants to go kind of we'll off, but it should be enough to stave off post graduation crippling debt.

Nothing like crushing debt to keep someone motivated in their studies, it certainly motivated me.
As terrible as taking on debt for higher education is, and I did that dance too, the opposite can be true as well. I know a handful of peeps who had their college education fully funded by their parents and turned it into a 4-year party/hobby degree.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Also - not every kid will go to college. What do you do with a 529 that is unused? I suppose you just take the tax hit then spend it on hookers and blow?
You can use it for tech schools and after 18y/o you can max out a Roth IRA for kiddo for the next 5yrs. And even if you eat the penalty, it's only 10% and it's been growing tax deferred the whole time. You're still getting growth likely better than if it was in a taxable acct because of cap gains and dvd expenses.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
"Roth IRA for kiddo" - @stoney, you such a funny guy. :D
Seriously. SECURE Act 2.0 allows for it. Totally a generational wealth transfer mechanism. Tax deferred growth, that can be converted into non-taxed funds after decades. If you can get your kid not to be an idiot and cash it out too, they will be independently wealthy by 60 when they can access it (not taxed) and it will only cost you $1k now. I'm legitimately trying to get my parents to set up separate 529 plans for all of the grandkids for this reason entirely.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Seriously. SECURE Act 2.0 allows for it. Totally a generational wealth transfer mechanism. Tax deferred growth, that can be converted into non-taxed funds after decades. If you can get your kid not to be an idiot and cash it out too, they will be independently wealthy by 60 when they can access it (not taxed) and it will only cost you $1k now. I'm legitimately trying to get my parents to set up separate 529 plans for all of the grandkids for this reason entirely.
My kids are pretty responsible with money, but I ain't gonna just give 'em a bunch. And, if I work it correctly, there will be no "generational wealth" for them, because we'll have blown it all. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My kids are pretty responsible with money, but I ain't gonna just give 'em a bunch. And, if I work it correctly, there will be no "generational wealth" for them, because we'll have blown it all. :D
I've told S that I'm Thelma and Louise'ing us when we reach the point of lack of bodily control or when we run out of cash.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
How’s VCV rack for you? I usually use my real rack but I’ve considered trying it virtual. I do have NI Blocks in Reaktor so I’ve done some virtual patching there too.
I'm just barely getting started. It seems very adept and powerful with tons of free modules from a variety of developers. I'm guessing that one could get a very long way with this system, especially if you're not more or less restarting from square one because your last time in a studio with a modular synth was about 30 years ago.