Quantcast

***Sunderp GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Working. Last call day this academic year.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Proud of my stepson........ after being a firefighter for the past 8-9 years, being away from family, commuting to Lee Vining daily, and just not having the time I feel he needs as his daughters grow, he has taken a position with the county here at home. Apparently, same pay, yet far less commuting involved (duh). Aaaannnddddd.... he wants to continue education and possibly get involved with HVAC.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Made plans to ride with Stoney Stonington and his buddies. He called from the trailhead and asked me where I am. Yesterday he made plans to pick me up at 10am and we would drive together, I reminded him of this and he gives me the sorry dude BS. I was planning on cooking with them and bought food and beer. Cooler and grill is ready. They don't know the trails so well. They have called me twice since the ride went off.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Skiing yesterday was most excellent. I walked into town for sushi last night and went to bed early, turned off alarms and slept IN for a change. Just had breakfast and thinking about where to ride. I'm sure all the local trails are packed with people trying to be in the way. Hmfph.

Also, I burned a pot on the stove yesterday. I realize I have been using this pot (and others) for decades. Time for some new cookware. Ugh that sounds expensive.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
thanks.

hey @jdcamb ... hit me with some cookware knowledge. what's the best bang for my buck?
Le Creuset 10 piece Cast Iron Cooks set. Works awesome. You can serve with it. they last forever. Its a cool grand at Williams and Senoma but well worth it for the lifetime warranty. Some good knives, don't skimp on knives. A Kitchen Aid Mixer, even the small one works great. A cheap cast iron pan that you can use both camping and at home. A large Cuisinart Slow Cooker. A decent kitchen scale and a Mortar and Pestle. A few Pyrex pans and measuring devices. Make your own spice rack. You get what you want and its a good project. A decent Waffle Iron and a Electric griddle. Buy and learn how to use a rice cooker. Buy and learn how to use a pressure cooker. Braising is a important skill just like sauteing. Learn how to Saute. Invest in spices and have them on hand. Never buy for recipes, make things with the ingredients you have on hand. Buy and learn to use a smoker. Buy a roasting pan and related rack for the holidays.
Share with your family so they always get you good stuff for your birthday and holidays. Share your knowledge with others. Don't be a dick or a snob about your cooking. Try not to be in charge when you cook at home. You will never learn anything if you do. Be gracious. You will get invited to more parties that way.
Learn about cuts of meat and cut your own steaks, fish fillets, and learn to safely dress a chicken. Learn to carve meats so you can get the most of your roasts and fowl. Buy a Coleman stove and learn how to use it before you go camping or on a picnic. Buy a shitload of Gladware containers.
Napkins, teach your children table manners and always have proper napkins available for your guests. Matching tableware might not be something you care about, but your guests will always appreciate it. If you serve meat to your guests make sure you provide them with a sharp knife. Serve to a platter and never to the plate. Let your guests decide how much they want to eat or what they like. Serve in courses and try not to burn the rolls.... Not everyone likes oysters, trotters, or pork belly. Learn to ignore your guests bratty children, Segregate them the best you can. Serve adult deserts to adults. If the child doesn't eat their meal, no desert should be offered to them. Be rigid, your guests will appreciate it. If you define your budget and needs I can further assist you.
Tfal stuff is good but needs to be maintained properly and can be a bitch to clean...

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, we have a few Le Creuset pieces, too... and that shit's way too heavy to use for everything, IMO.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
thanks.

hey @jdcamb ... hit me with some cookware knowledge. what's the best bang for my buck?
I'm frugal and when I researched this a decade ago All-clad got the best marks for the price/value matrix...

I think the Cooks Illustrated (or Consumer Reports) article I relied upon is behind a pay/firewall, but most of their essentials are all-clad.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5603-essential-cookware

I found some bulk package deal via Amazon for this kit, but I think I paid closer to 4 bills,

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/all-clad-stainless-steel-8-piece-cookware-set/1018489384

There's always some kind of periodic cookware sale for sets at Macys or BBB, so if you can combine a sale with a coupon there's deals to be had

[begin snark]
Is this where I post take it to food: => http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/forums/beer-food.50/

But jdcamb is the only regular poster there and even the shed-enthusiasts are so lazy that the "pot" thread didn't get pity bumped last year on 4/20/16...
[end snark]

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm frugal and when I researched this a decade ago All-clad got the best marks for the price/value matrix...

I think the Cooks Illustrated (or Consumer Reports) article I relied upon is behind a pay/firewall, but most of their essentials are all-clad.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5603-essential-cookware

I found some bulk package deal via Amazon for this kit, but I think I paid closer to 4 bills,

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/all-clad-stainless-steel-8-piece-cookware-set/1018489384

There's always some kind of periodic cookware sale for sets at Macys or BBB, so if you can combine a sale with a coupon there's deals to be had

[begin snark]
Is this where I post take it to food: => http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/forums/beer-food.50/

But jdcamb is the only regular poster there and even the shed-enthusiasts are so lazy that the "pot" thread didn't get pity bumped last year on 4/20/16...
[end snark]
I have some All-Clad pots and pans I bought at a Garage Sale. Solid stuff. The handle rivets got loose. I sent it back to them and they gave me a new pan. I like how even the lids were oven/grill proof.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Five rides in three days equals me being tired. Pizza or Thai food for dinner will be the biggest decision of the day.

I think I'm switching to honey crisp apples...

Ran out of water during this afternoons ride, good thing I had beer.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My advice on cookware - it's not an investment, there is no return other than the satisfaction of over spending.

I buy ten dollar egg pans that last for 2 or 3 years, toss out when eggs begin to stick. Twenty dollar electric skillet also lasts about 3 years, toss out when shit begins to stick. NSF Volrath 3822 7 piece basic restaurant aluminum set, lasts forever as long as you avoid using them for storage.

I may not be an expert as we don't have a kitchen anyone would recognize, no oven or stove top.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
55 miles, 6150 feet of climbing, stopped by snow at ~10600ft with another ~1.5miles 800ft before we would have made the summit of the mountain we were climbing :(

Good day on the bike with wifey though.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My advice on cookware - it's not an investment, there is no return other than the satisfaction of over spending.

I buy ten dollar egg pans that last for 2 or 3 years, toss out when eggs begin to stick. Twenty dollar electric skillet also lasts about 3 years, toss out when shit begins to stick. NSF Volrath 3822 7 piece basic restaurant aluminum set, lasts forever as long as you avoid using them for storage.

I may not be an expert as we don't have a kitchen anyone would recognize, no oven or stove top.
Everything you purchase and utilize in your household is a investment. If it is cheap and has to be replaced sooner then later then buying cookware that lasts a lifetime and has a lifetime warranty to match. You have a special pan for just eggs? Volrath isn't available to consumers as far as I know. Sysco sells it here....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Everything you purchase and utilize in your household is a investment. If it is cheap and has to be replaced sooner then later then buying cookware that lasts a lifetime and has a lifetime warranty to match. You have a special pan for just eggs? Volrath isn't available to consumers as far as I know. Sysco sells it here....
If you do the math it takes an awfully long time for a $1000 worth of cookware to pay off. I forgot to mention the cast iron skillets and grill, I bought them second hand for a few dollas each 20 or so years ago. They are Griswold and effing awesome.

We do have a Kitchen Aide mixer with every attachment you can think of... it's easier to use a whisk or spoon because of clean up.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Driving home from SLC right now, kiddo puked up a gallon in the truck. Poor kid. Now he's hungry.
In other news, wifey got her silly $8350 msrp bike (used, but minty) for $3k. Now the 'fine tune' upgrading begins!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Then why do you have pans ? How do you cook ? Last I checked a source of heat was required for cooking.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Got out for my first dirty ride of the year today. Fuck has this spring ever been long. It was at an off-road moto area, so really sandy and flat. But it had lots of flow and woops and berms. Good times.