Quantcast

sunglasses fog up during rides

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anti-fog compound. Available at any sports store in the sunglasses section. Don't know if some brands work better than others, I just used whatever was on the shelf at a local place and it worked great.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
For those of you who wear some type of sunglasses when you ride, how do you keep them from fogging up?
Ride faster. :nuts:

Seriously though if you stop, take them off or pull them away from your face a little helps.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have some smith empires with interchangeable lenses. i usually ride in my yellow lenses so i drilled 3 small holes in the top of the lenses for air flow behind the lenses.before then i would use anti-fog or just pull them a little way down my nose.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Ride faster. :nuts:

Seriously though if you stop, take them off or pull them away from your face a little helps.
Yea, I noticed that if I wear them about half way down my nose they stay clear - but they distract me... they feel like they are going to fall off and the frame blocks some of my vision because they sit lower.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
Yea, I noticed that if I wear them about half way down my nose they stay clear - but they distract me... they feel like they are going to fall off and the frame blocks some of my vision because they sit lower.
I just meant if you come to a stop in the trail or something pull them away from your face a bit. Of course some sunglasses fog more easily than others. You aren't wearing sunglasses with any kind of metal frame are you? :nope: And if you have a really odd shaped face that doesn't allow airflow would cause lots of fogging. :sneaky: :eviltongu

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
i have some smith empires with interchangeable lenses. i usually ride in my yellow lenses so i drilled 3 small holes in the top of the lenses for air flow behind the lenses.before then i would use anti-fog or just pull them a little way down my nose.

I have the same glasses. :cool: I like the Persimmon lenses and I also have the cool blue lenses for when its really sunny. I just use the yellow for really low light situations.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BikeGeek said:
Cat Crap :thumb:

No, seriously, that's what it's called. :D

My X has a bunch of that at her house actually. The whole got damn house smells like it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
douglas said:
as long as I don't stop, mine dont fog up

I was told gel toothpaste works better than that anti fog stuff
Another cheap thing to try is liquid dish soap

I use a anti-fog treatment like mentioned earlier. Usually right before the ride and I am good...

and I sweat like a MoFo

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've got some cheapo wannabe Racing Jackets from the dollar store that never ever ever fog up...they're vented, which is nice, and they also have a ghetto foamy thing around part of the frame that keeps the glasses farther away from your face. I sweat like a dog in heat, too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
regular handsoap works fine too, like ivory....

just grab a cloth and apply a slight amount of dry soap to each lens. You gotta keep rubbing it in till you get a small sheen to it, and eliminate most of the foginess from the excess.

cheap alternative......

V

Vermont

flip-up lenses like baseball players wear, geeky but effective, if you're about function over fashion these work the best....when you stop...flip em up,,,,if they fogged when riding flip em up a little air gets behind em and voila they defog...i been riding 10 years in Humid Vermont summers...only thing thats ever worked...i used cat crap and all kinds of other anti-fog deals...nothing really works they will fog up when you stop or when you climbing :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
arsenic said:
saliva. i haven't tried it myself yet but the local club ride leader says it works great to keep glasses from fogging!
You see divers spit into their masks.....

I just thought for that to work it needed to be wet, and that owuld make your glasses kinda blurry. Of course I never tested that theory

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
RhinofromWA said:
You see divers spit into their masks.....

I just thought for that to work it needed to be wet, and that owuld make your glasses kinda blurry. Of course I never tested that theory
that's why i haven't tried it. fogging hasn't been THAT much of an issue for me and i CAN'T stand even a little smudge on my glasses :)