Quantcast

sunglasses

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i got a pair of these for riding, they were fairly cheap for me as i worked for a shop at the time.

optical clarity is pretty good, very easy to change between the multiple lenses included, not heavy, stay on my face well, and not too expensive when compared to most decent sunglasses with interchangeable lenses and all that on the market.

i would never want to mountain bike with any of my nicer sunglasses, i'd be pissed if i broke a nice pair in a crash.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I wear BMI glasses for MTN biking, there cheap, they have a lifetime warranty, and the ones I have, have the gaskets style padding. Kinda a cross between glasses and goggles. They work for me, maybe not everyone.

EDIT... Cant find the padded style on the BMI site, but here are the Eyeride ones with the pads. Another style I wear on the Motorcycle
http://www.eyeride.com/comfortzone.htm

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Found some Rayban RB3239s the other day and now my $40 cheapo Ryders just sit on my dining room table feeling sad.

Go to a Sunglass Hut and figure out what you like, then go online and buy them cheap.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a pair of Rudy glasses that are similar to Skinny Mike's glasses....work great

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Smith Bazookas. Alaina picked them out for me, had them for about 3-ish years, broke the frames, called Smith, replaced at a really cheap discount, and still riding with them. Sure hope they continue to last, 'cuz I really don't want to get another pair........

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have a pair of Rudy Project Apaches that I use for both road and MTB. I got a ski industry hookup though. I love the glasses but I'd never pay full retail. Rudy has a great replacement program. If you damage your lenses, they'll replace them for $20 as long as the glasses are in the current year catalog. I dropped mine riding and they got run over, which scratched the hell out of them. $20 later I got new lenses. :thumb:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Paging manhtnprjkt ......

seriously though,
Smith Sliders (model 01?) that I've had forever.
Replaceable lenses, non-slip fit and comfortable with a helmet.
I'd never ride in the woods without eye protection.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i've got a pair of smith....not sure what style though...i love the replaceable lenses, and the clear lenses that come with them are great for riding in the rain or when its windy and getting dark

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Mine are all Rx. If you are lucky enough to not need vision correction (or you are wearing contacts), there are lots of good options out there.

If you are planning on wearing them on the trail, depending upon where you are located that may mean a lot of tree cover/shade. I would suggest going with the lighter-tint orange/amber/red lens. The Rudy Projects in IAB's post look good, and there are many Smith models that include multiple, changable lenses.

Some people tend to lose or destroy glasses regularly. I do not, but those who are prone to needing a new pair on a regular basis may want to get a pair that are more reasonable in cost or that give good replacement covereage.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
seriously though,
Smith Sliders (model 01?) that I've had forever.
Replaceable lenses, non-slip fit and comfortable with a helmet.
I'd never ride in the woods without eye protection.
I have an old pair of Smith Voodoos that are still kicking. I've worn them so much though that the frame behind the earns has gotten worn out and sharp and they start to hurt after a couple of hours.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I have a pair of Rudy Project Apaches that I use for both road and MTB. I got a ski industry hookup though. I love the glasses but I'd never pay full retail. Rudy has a great replacement program. If you damage your lenses, they'll replace them for $20 as long as the glasses are in the current year catalog. I dropped mine riding and they got run over, which scratched the hell out of them. $20 later I got new lenses. :thumb:

really, I thought I saw you wearing these

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have an old pair of Smith Voodoos that are still kicking. I've worn them so much though that the frame behind the earns has gotten worn out and sharp and they start to hurt after a couple of hours.
On mine, the rubber slip-on earpiece things were torn. I called Smith to see if I could purchase replacements and they sent me four new pieces (two sets) free of charge. Big thanks to Smith!

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
The answer to every questions about sunglasses is: Oakley Juliets.

Actually, it's a very good answer to several questions completely unrelated to sunglasses as well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The answer to every questions about sunglasses is: Oakley Juliets.

Actually, it's a very good answer to several questions completely unrelated to sunglasses as well.
correction: "Juliet" is a good answer to several questions... "Oakley Juliets" is a bit too specific.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm kind of a sunglass whore. My 2 favs are oakley and and electric (I've got 3 pairs of each). I ride more with the oakleys than electrics. I lost my favorite pair of electrics, and still need to replace them.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My favorite riding pair is the Oakley Minute. It makes a good seal around the eye so there is no air turbulence to make your eyes tear up.

I also recommend you bring your helmet with you and see if the arms fit well. Sometimes they are big and put pressure on your temples.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wear either the cheap pair I wear all day anyway, or my old school Okley M-Frames. My eyes are wicked sensitive to light, so I wear them rather than goggles for DH too.