Quantcast

sunglasses

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
The time has come to get new sunglasses...

In a nutshell, commute to work, get in elevator, sunglasses in pocket, change clothes, step on shorts, crunch, swearing.

What's your latest bonehead move?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I had that same pair of Oakleys.
Loved them, best pair I've owned.

Riding to work, I had them clipped to the front of my shirt (wasn't sunny out), at some point they fell off. Re-traced my steps 5 times, couldn't find them. I was very sad...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i've never worn sun glasses....

latest bonehead move....not sleeping in today.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I can't wear glasses when I ride MTB. Eyes get too hot, which I find to be kinda silly. I guess I need to go faster.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have polarized Straight Jackets, and honestly I'll never use a different pair of sunglasses from here on out. When my current ones get broken/lost/beat to hell I'll replace them with the same exact pair.

I never wear sunglasses when riding, however.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
In a nutshell, commute to work, get in elevator, sunglasses in pocket, change clothes, step on shorts, crunch, swearing.

Basically the same exact thing, got into a changing room at the mall, had my sunglasses in my pocket. The jeans with my sunglasses in them were sitting on the little seat they had in there, tripped while trying to put one leg into the other pair of pants, elbow+brand new pair of nativs= hysterical laughing/cursing

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Biggest bone head move..... fishing poles in the tailgate.... Yes Ive done it.

Does anyone use polarized optics for the trail?
Here were I ride..... We tend to specifically go for NON polarized. I want to see the glare off debri in the trail, sharp peices of rock, glass stuff like that.
Unfortunatly alot of our trails are close to the cities, which means the tens are using them for party locations in the evening

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ill only ever wear polarized shades from now on. i think i must have 10 pairs of sunglasses but only wear my two sets of polarized ones now.
..less strain on your eyes, clearer, more true image and obviously better for your eyes

On dark and/or wet trails, polarized optics can mess with your eyes, make the trail hard to see. IMO not worth the extra cost.

Maybe its just me...
it must be just you. cheap polarized sunglasses is usually the explanation for poor polarized optics.
they are 100% worth the extra cost

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Pulling out the front driveshaft of my Jeep for a rebuild (parts on order) 2 days before a snowstorm with 20" of snow coming and a 50mile commute to work each way.
weird, I am doing that in my F350 right now.

Jeep wrangler cv joint on driveshaft + 3 michigan winters + 45,000 miles = sorta tricky

F350 Driveshaft with bad CV joint + 11 Michigan Winters + 192,000 Miles = Press two of the three u joints in, and get annoyed, take to machine shop, hope to have it back by stormaggedden tomorrow.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
weird, I am doing that in my F350 right now.

Jeep wrangler cv joint on driveshaft + 3 michigan winters + 45,000 miles = sorta tricky

F350 Driveshaft with bad CV joint + 11 Michigan Winters + 192,000 Miles = Press two of the three u joints in, and get annoyed, take to machine shop, hope to have it back by stormaggedden tomorrow.
Yea the CV at the TC was holding on by a thread......figured it was better to replace it now than wait until it explodes and drop a driveshaft on the highway.

I wanted to upgrade to a good shaft with u-joints/double cardon at both ends, but couldn't justify the $5-600 it was going to cost. $17 for a new u-joint and $70 for the replacement CV, a couple hours in labor and should be good for a while.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
five to six hundred?????? Good lord you need to shop around more..... After making them up I am not normally chargint that hi, and I am doubling what I pay for them....... No reason you shouldbe be able to get that Driveshaft for 250 or less, even with changing the joints...... FWIW, its not really an upgrade......

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
it must be just you. cheap polarized sunglasses is usually the explanation for poor polarized optics.
they are 100% worth the extra cost
I was referring to Oakley's, although I love their optics. Its been awhile since I've tried a pair of their polarized glasses.

Maybe I'll give them another shot when its time to get a new pair.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
five to six hundred?????? Good lord you need to shop around more..... After making them up I am not normally chargint that hi, and I am doubling what I pay for them....... No reason you shouldbe be able to get that Driveshaft for 250 or less, even with changing the joints...... FWIW, its not really an upgrade......
Something on par with a Tom Woods or Carolina Driveline shaft for $250 or so?

I could get an OEM replacement for around $250, that's about it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was referring to Oakley's, although I love their optics. Its been awhile since I've tried a pair of their polarized glasses.

Maybe I'll give them another shot when its time to get a new pair.
you should try a pair if its been a while. they really are better. and if you ever are around water in the summer, youll appreciate them greatly

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yes, mine are polarized. I love Smith Optics personally. I have a pair of Sequels (older model), the new Parallel and I have tested out the Pivlocks as well. I personally love their interchangeable lens system and the variety of lens you can get. Plus, they're affordable and look cool :)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

I go to Banning Drive line or Ed moore for my pricing.... They like to stick with a Ujoint system, but use the neat little double stack in the transfer case side giving the CV joint effect.......... Ed moore Measures, cuts, and custom builds all drivelines for lines in this price range............ Well beyond quality of OEM, and with the experience in the product I find that stuff like the tom woods or Carolina products are over priced for what they are........ Its a drive line... there really isnt that much science behind it.... its completly a mechanical build....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I go to Banning Drive line or Ed moore for my pricing.... They like to stick with a Ujoint system, but use the neat little double stack in the transfer case side giving the CV joint effect.......... Ed moore Measures, cuts, and custom builds all drivelines for lines in this price range............ Well beyond quality of OEM, and with the experience in the product I find that stuff like the tom woods or Carolina products are over priced for what they are........ Its a drive line... there really isnt that much science behind it.... its completly a mechanical build....
Yea, it's called a double cardon setup, basically 2 u-joints inline. Smooth like a CV with the strength of a u-joint. That's what I wanted (u-joint at the pinion, double cardon at the TC), but whole assemblies with that setup seem to run $500 or so.

I agree it's overpriced.....hence why I didn't go that route.:thumb: Especially since my shaft/splines are perfectly fine.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC

Designed a logo at work Friday, printed off a copy and sent a copy out for proofing. While waiting I cleaned off my desktop, and accidentally deleted the file...Thankfully it wasn't super complex, and had it remade by the time the customer gave me the ok.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Tom woods shaft, it's the 73-87 chevy truck front CV and a standard rear u joint, they can be made pretty cheap with the same aprts if you know a good machine shop nearby that will weld one up to your specs.

Yeah my CV centering ball between the two u joints near the t-case was squeakin like an angry squirrle, and its non greaseable. figured I'd do all three u joints, got the CV apart, couldnt get the ball out, couldn't get one of the u joints out, pressed the other two u joints in and took it to the machine shop, $40 later its ready to bolt in tonight after work....I hope.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That's one thing that annoys be about the stock u-joints/CV joints....none of them are greasable.
My buddy and I had that argument last night, he was trying to tell me that I bought weaker u joints because they are greaseable and hollow. Now in my jeep's i've warn out or broken about every u joint possible, sure the greaseable might be slightly weaker, but if a damn u joint is gonna break its gonna break, and on my truck which is a tow rig, family hauler, bad weather special, I couldn't give two ****s less about the miniscule strength difference of a greaseable vs non greaseable, gimme the greaseable joint that will actually last longer.

Just called the machine shop, my driveshaft is done, in time for snowmageddon, but they want to charge me an additional $50 to balance the damn thing! :eek:

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love polarized sunglasses. My current pair are orange tinted which rides a happy medium between being too dark to see on the trail, and too light to actually cut the sun. There are times that I've had to remove them but it's pretty few and far between.

Odd that some people seem to find them harder to see with? I've never had a scenario where polarized glasses made it anything but easier to see. At worst, they're the same as non-polarized. OTOH the polarized pairs I've had have all been very expensive glasses that have been given to me, so maybe cheap polarization does that.

Latest bonehead move: replied to a helpless douchebag's email rather than telling him to find the information himself. Now he expects me to be his personal Q&A service. Useless toolbag.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
BV.... for me it isnt that I dont see as well with polarized, its the glare reduction...... I still see detail great, but we have alot of quarts, and sadly alot of glass on our trails in my area..... Polarized glasses, specially proper polarized eliminate that little gleam you get off of them, were the specific non polarized will let that little gleam come through, making those particular items more noticable...

As to greasable ujoints being better or worse.... Eh its a toss up and depends on what your doing...... Your really splitting haris to say a greaseable is weaker... it is, but youll never notice it....... The non greasable.... Use a different type of grease at the factory when they are made. In theory its a grease pack that will last the lifetime of the part. problem is that most people are not out in the dirt or elements... Regular every day driving non greasable alst a long ass time... when your oput in the water, the dirt, the grit and abusing your vehicle for some offroad action and fun..... Your going to get crap passing the seals....... While there may be a slight strength loss with a greasable ujoint, fresh grease will make it live longer......

FWIW... I have never seen a greasable ujoint be the cause of why a vehicle didnt make it up an obstacle... Seen both styles break in the same way