Quantcast

Suntop riders?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
hmmm really good question, call the forest service dept. for the official word. i really don't see any hassle in it myself if you have a well trained/behaved dog . On the weekends there may be some equestrians on the last section of the trail so not freaking the horses out would be the only conflict i could see......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
waterlilli said:
Is Skookum flats the same trail? or just in the same area?
just the same area. skookum flats follows the river/road pretty much, suntop comes down from, well, suntop (a hill to the right when heading towards crystal) towards the road and skookum flats.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
just the same area. skookum flats follows the river/road pretty much, suntop comes down from, well, suntop (a hill to the right when heading towards crystal) towards the road and skookum flats.
or simpler put...
no it's a different trail, but it is usually done to complete the "Suntop" loop.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Skookum said:
or simpler put...
no it's a different trail, but it is usually done to complete the "Suntop" loop.
Skook,

Is Suntop & or Ranger area similar to Devils Gulch decend? Is it mostly Downhill once you do reach the top? If I hiked Crystal from base lodge, would it be the same effort or more?

I've also heard from a guy up at 38 this weekend that 72, or 74 will put you on the ridge to do Palasades or those other two? Is it as nice as Devils gulch or crystals single track?

Come on man, heal that leg I'm in the august mode of "hunt for Red hot singletrack" ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Do either Suntop or Ranger Creek descent and you'll be happy. Deep Creek is a little more gnarl steep and Palasaides is longer with some climbs and a tad more techy.
But just do Ranger and i'm sure you'll be stoked, Ranger is super fun to descend. :D
Oh and Devils Gulch is one of the more easier trails around, it's just so buttery smooth, so unlike many trails on this side of the mts.. that's one of the reasons i like it.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Skookum said:
Do either Suntop or Ranger Creek descent and you'll be happy. Deep Creek is a little more gnarl steep and Palasaides is longer with some climbs and a tad more techy.
But just do Ranger and i'm sure you'll be stoked, Ranger is super fun to descend. :D
Oh and Devils Gulch is one of the more easier trails around, it's just so buttery smooth, so unlike many trails on this side of the mts.. that's one of the reasons i like it.
Yeah, I was refrencing the fact that it was long and shuttlable ;) Crystal was siiiick, but too me 2 hours (dont laugh) to get to the top by hike a bikin it straight up the middle. Got to see the halfpipe in the summer though and ride it on my bike so I guess the "first timers" mistake was excused by that ;)

So Ranger eh? I've still yet to pick up a forest map to see if I can get up to the top in my truck or not? Sure would be pimp to shuttle that to get a good long DH in ;) How long would you think it would take to hike either of those?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Park at Camp Sheppard, drive shuttle up 7174 park at Corral Pass. That's all you gotta do, you'll be hike a biking a little bit, but nothing i repeat nothing, compared to Crystal. You can find maps online, or check out John Zilly's Mountain Bike! S.W. Wa. book, or you can go in the Greenwater store and buy a topo map yourself. Follow Noble Nob trail ignore Deep Creek to your left, ignore Dalles Ridge trail to your right, ignore Palasiades trail to your right and get on Ranger Creek trail, when it ends hang a right on White River trail follow that to Camp Sheppard boom you're done.