Quantcast

Super 8: Illusionary Lines

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I just watched it the other day and must say, I liked it quite a bit. Some parts were a little slow, but other parts gave me an urge to go ride FAST like no other video I've seen. The footage itself is pretty good. I'm no film expert, but a lot of the footage seems like it was taken with either an old camera (perhaps a Super8, hence the name?) or a rather cheap digital one. Parts of the video were either out of focus, or the camera couldn't adjust from light to dark quickly enough.

Tony Butler was trying some artistic stuff where he'd focus on a tree, then focus to a rider, but did the same thing over and over -- it got a little old.

He did, however, cover the racing very well. There were split screen bits with a time ticker. Although the time ticker was only there for effect (he used footage from both practice and race runs to put it together) he was able to create a fairly complete view of the course. He definitely shot more sections of each course than I've seen with Porter or Rankin.

I liked the soundtrack for the most part, but some songs were a tad slow.

I guess to sum up the film, it was a bit hit-or-miss, but when Butler hit it, he hit it REAL good! I loved the first one, and this one is up there with it.

Here's a taste of some good stuff:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Wow....he is pushing it big time...
If "it" is everyones patience with really poor shooting, then yes, he is pushing it big time. Shaky hand, constant rider decapitation or leg amputation, funky focus, getting old.

That said, WTF with kovarik's turn in those loose dust berms? holy balls.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Saw some snowboard movie during this summer, not sure what it was called as I have zero interest, but I never laughed so hard when I saw it as Tony Butler had copied every possible "artistic" idea for Super 8.2 from it, from title styles and fonts, to editing styles and music. Super 8 Illusionary Lines is just a copy of this snowboard movie with some mountain bike images thrown in instead, how he could get away with it is beyond me.

Edit:Just did a quick search, the Snowboard movie is called "Follow Me Around"

Check out this "Trapped in Chile" clip, the start is a very similar to Super 8.2's intro to Fort William section and the credits/title that come up are near identical to the "Chilling in Africa" section with Minnaar. Joke really!

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
In general, biking movie over an hour is too long. It gets boring.
Filming and editing ain't perfect in Super8 2. Maybe after few
more Super8s we will have good movie. ;)

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
That youtube vid
of Super8.2 with Kovarik was simply Terminater awesome. That shed the light on how fast he is really going!

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The opening segment with kovarik is insane. An impressive yet terrifying display of bike riding.

Hill segment wasn't all that great

Rennie's segment was so sped up that it was painful to watch. I skip over it.

Other than that it was a good movie IMO. Not the highest quality filming. However, I would take a poorly shot film with good music + riding over an impressively shot + edited film with a constant narration that makes me wish my DVD player was shot in a tragic dick cheeney accident.

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
i think that it was a very good movie, but not even near to the level of between the tape, that was the best movie ever imo. the colors and everything was really good, the only problem was it was sped up, congrats to porter, hope the incoming video is as good as btt

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I really like Butler's flicks, although I do like Super8 more than IL. IL has some really bad shaking or something going on that is really apparent on my HD tv. And just in case anybody cares, I prefer Rankin's work over both Butler and Porter. But hey, they all get my $$ so its all good.

On a seperate note, I hope this year's race dvds aren't affected by all the rain at the majority of the World Cups.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Just watched it and I have to say it might be the best "race" movie I've seen. I loved the coverage and how it would show splits of riders crossing the line. The soundtrack was definitely better than Earthed 5 and for the most part made me want to go ride. I also loved the fact that it was over an hour and a half long. And as others said, Kovarik was straight killing it in his two segments.

Well worth the 13 bucks I got it for.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
I believe you can now purchase tis flick as well as other from Itunes under Video Action Sports, its a helluva lot cheaper at 1.99 to download.