Quantcast

Super Bowl food

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So what's on your menu for the Super Bowl?

I'm making meatball grinders. I make the meatballs with both ground turkey and ground beef, bake them at 350 for 15 minutes, then simmer them in the crock pot with tomato sauce for six hours. I then load up some 6" grinder rolls, cover them in provolone, and bake them until the cheese is melted.

Of course, nachos will also be on the menu. Tostitos Scoops covered in cheese and baked slowly until the cheese browns.

I suppose I'll have a beer or two as well. :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
IRB, that sounds yummy

I am trying to eat healthy

so (if I have time/motivation)

Turkey burgers (ground turkey breast, bbq sauce, chopped onion, whole egg, bread crumbs)

Pita pizza (whole wheat pita split, marin. sauce, low fat mozzar., grilled peppers)

Chili (no beans - I hate beans, but will have 1/2 inch steak cubes)

and BEER!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Doug, your turkey burgers sound very similar to my meatball GRINDERS :-)p), except I add garlic and Italian seasoning and do not use BBQ sauce.

true..........oh and these are new recipes to me (I've been looking for some new simple-ish healthy recipes so I'm going to try those)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
douglas said:
true..........oh and these are new recipes to me (I've been looking for some new simple-ish healthy recipes so I'm going to try those)
You can use that burger recipe to make a turkey meatloaf:

1lb ground turkey
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped peppers (green or red)
1/2 cup salsa

Hand mix it all in a bowl until well mixed. Pour it all into a meatlof pan and bake at 425 for an hour. Sometimes I'll subsitute the bread crumbs with brown rice. It makes the loaf fluffier.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I Are Baboon said:

1lb ground turkey
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup salsa

Hand mix it all in a bowl until well mixed. Pour it all into a meatlof pan and bake at 425 for an hour. Sometimes I'll subsitute the bread crumbs with brown rice. It makes the loaf fluffier.
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but you cook the rice first right? Just making sure....I think I'm going to try that meatloaf recipe for Sunday.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Snacks said:
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but you cook the rice first right? Just making sure....I think I'm going to try that meatloaf recipe for Sunday.
Yup, cook the rice first and make sure you drain it well. I use the Success Rice boil-in-bag.

Also, a lot of fat is going to simmer to the surface of the loaf, so make sure you scoop that stuff out with a spoon before serving the loaf. Also, spray the pan with Pam or something prior to putting the uncooked ingredients in it to prevent sticking. If you don't have a nonstick cook spray, just use a little olive oil and rub it on the pan.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:

1lb ground turkey
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup salsa

ahhhhhhh....somedays I miss my ex girlfriend, well not so much her but the killer meatloaf she use to make me :drool:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm bringin' my kickass BBQ meatballs to a kickass Superbowl party at kettenring's pad.

1 big bag of Rosita's Italian style meatballs
2 jars of currant jelly
2 jars of Nance's chili sauce
the juice of one lemon
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup bourbon

Slow cook in crockpot all day. These meatballs seriously KICK ASS.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
I use the Success Rice boil-in-bag.
flags down. boo on the in-the-bag rice.

for great rice, get a bag of goya and a cheap rice cooker. all you'll ever need for fluffy, great-tasting rice.

maybe i'll do up the pulled pork in the slow cooker. that's always tasty.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We have a rice cooker that makes FANTASTIC brown rice. Really good stuff. But for the sake of convenience on a weeknight, the in-the-bag stuff works for this recipe.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i find that if you start the rice 1st, it's definitely done by the you've done the prep and other cooking (although in yr recipe, i guess you can't do it in parallel as you need cooked rice, so that makes sense).

rice cookers rock. a very under-rated kitchen appliance, imo.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Here is what I have so far

Home-made Guac with toasted pita chips

Eagle Wings!! aka Thai chicken wings (Cilantro, basil, mint, lime, rum, and fish sauce)

BBQ ribs (with a carolina vinegar based sauce)

Peanutbutter Choc. chip cookies

Oh, and a Boudan sausage that my buddy's mom shipped up from Lousiana.
:drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Echo said:
I'm bringin' my kickass BBQ meatballs to a kickass Superbowl party at kettenring's pad.

1 big bag of Rosita's Italian style meatballs
2 jars of currant jelly
2 jars of Nance's chili sauce
the juice of one lemon
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup bourbon

Slow cook in crockpot all day. These meatballs seriously KICK ASS.
Hey! This sounds suspiciously like my wife's family recipe called "Crazy meatballs" - it uses whole-craberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar...... and *sauerkraut* (oh, and no booze - but I'm sure it would be better with bourbon)

And id *definitely* kicks major a$$. :thumb:

-S.S.-

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
SkaredShtles said:
No no no - I'm talking about the ingredients. Is it "noir" or not? The Brits call it "blood pudding" or "black pudding".......... :thumb:

-S.S.-
Oh... Na, no blood.
More of a Brat or Banger color. Pretty spicy though.
:thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
fun factoid:

"A legend says that blood sausage was invented in a bet between two Bavarian butchers drunk on absinthe during the 14th century."

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
narlus said:
i find that if you start the rice 1st, it's definitely done by the you've done the prep and other cooking (although in yr recipe, i guess you can't do it in parallel as you need cooked rice, so that makes sense).

rice cookers rock. a very under-rated kitchen appliance, imo.
If you want really really good rice, get a gas powered rice cooker.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
valve bouncer said:
If you want really really good rice, get a gas powered rice cooker.
red beans and rice and generate gas. :think:

unfortauntely, i don't have natural gas piped to the house (gotta use an electric range :mad: ) even though there is a 3' gas main which runs from nova scotia to boston which was installed in the utility way about 300 yards behind our house. :mad:

when did these new smilies show up?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Super Bowl 2006: Meatball grinders again. My guests seem to like them.

I also have three 12 packs of beer: Harpoon variety pack, Sam Adams winter variety pack, and a Sam's Octoberfest we've had stashed away.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
narlus said:
fun factoid:

"A legend says that blood sausage was invented in a bet between two Bavarian butchers drunk on absinthe during the 14th century."
I imagine that's how many "delicacies" got their start.

..."fiddy buck saysh youse won't eat that snail!"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i hope my buddy is gonna crank out his red beans and rice...he learned a few things while at Tulane, and this is amongst the best of them.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
-BB- said:
Oh... Na, no blood.
More of a Brat or Banger color. Pretty spicy though.

You really don't wanna know what's in genuine Louisiana boudin...

:dead:

But it is very yummy... just never-ever ask what's in it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
black pudding, boudin noir, morcilla, blutwurst, etc....plenty of people eat these.

eh, it's blood. big deal.

"These eggplant-colored sausages are made of pig's blood mixed with fat, a filler like bread crumbs, and other flavorings that vary from region to region. "

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
I am making salsa con queso, mini grilled cheese sandwiches with fresh basil and tomatoes, some delicious and spicy black-eyed pea gumbo, and a chocolate football cake! Also picked up a couple growlers of some great, local micro-brewed beer, which I will be serving to bv along with the feast! It's beer wench time! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
just got done w/ the ribs...made a 13 spice rub, tucked 'em in a ziplock w/ a bit of white vinegar, and they will marinate for the next 16 hr or so. my friend is coming over w/ his red beans and rice dish, which is the best i've ever had. i really need to get that recipe from him.

got some guinness, boddingtons, and i've got some leftover corona too. also some obligatory nacho chips and salsa (from a jar), and some nice cheese too (aged emmentaler and triple cream brie).