Super Bowl? Super NO CARE!!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
January 13, 2006

Anti-Super Bowl Events: Far From the Madden Crowd
NYT | JOHANNA JAINCHILL

WATCHING the Super Bowl has taken on the trappings of almost a civic duty. Around 85 million Americans tune in, including many who don't know a touchdown from a hoedown. But a core group of convinced contrarians - people who want to be as far as possible from television sets and sports bars on Super Bowl Sunday - not only won't be watching when John Madden and Al Michaels call this year's game on Feb. 5; they're organizing alternative events.

In New York City, the Madame X bar will hold its second anti-Super Bowl party, an event created by the owner, Amy McCloskey, who grew tired of diminished sales on Super Bowl Sundays and maintained a strong belief that millions of people like her had zero interest in the game anyway. "We offer an out to all the football widows who don't like hanging out with a bunch of drunk men screaming at megascreen TV's," she said.

This year's party, with a pre-Valentine's Day theme, will feature striptease lessons, beauty tips from makeup artists and a lingerie sale. A tarot card reader will give patrons a heads up on their chances of having a valentine. The entry fee of $15 includes free drinks and liquor-spiked chocolates.

Ms. McCloskey makes no apologies for aiming an event so forthrightly at women. Few men were ever among her Super Bowl day patrons anyway, she said. "The preponderance is women, so why fight an uphill battle?"

With 60 percent of Super Bowl viewers men, pitching alternative events to women is a common theme.

In Anchorage, 1,000 women are expected to ski cross-country at the annual Alaska Ski for Women event to benefit a local shelter for battered women and their children.

"We chose Super Bowl Sunday with the idea of enticing women out of their house while their significant others were watching football," Diana Burch, an event volunteer, said. "It seems to have worked well."

Similar events will take place in Winter Park, Colo., and Traverse City, Mich. In both cities, an organization called the Women's Winter Tour will combine cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and a celebration of chocolate on Super Bowl day, with proceeds to go to local domestic abuse shelters.

Kaye Krapohl, who founded the tour eight years ago, figured the best way to get women on skis was to promise them chocolate. This year 4,000 people are expected to participate in eight cities.

Though the other six cities' events are on different dates, Super Bowl Sunday is still considered the central day. The original event, in Traverse City, was held that day because it was the only time a ski course was available.

"I was initially thinking, what a bad day," Ms. Krapohl said. "But the women loved it."

Men are welcome to come and support the women, and a few always come out in drag to ski.

For men who don't wear dresses and don't like football, there are also coed alternative events.

In California, the Sierra Club's Los Padres chapter leads an annual Super Bowl Alternative Hike and Potluck, advertised for people "who think bears, dolphins and eagles sound like animals, not teams."

A five-mile walk ends with a picnic overlooking Point Sal State Beach west of Santa Maria. The group sits on blankets and shares wine, food and a view of the Pacific Ocean.

Over the sounds of waves and the barking of sea lions, they talk about anything but football, according to Jim Albertson, the hike's organizer. "I never knew what to do on that day," he said. "Culturally, it seemed you were supposed to be watching the game. But I always wanted to escape the media blitz - and talking to other people, they did too."

IT'S not just the game that people wish to escape. In Central Jersey, Orvieto, an Italian restaurant in Flemington, offers an antidote to the greasy snacks and cheap beer that surround the Super Bowl.

Its Alternative to the Super Bowl Buffet, featuring regional Italian specialties, is held every year by the co-chef and co-owner, Elena Conticelli. She started it because her husband, the other chef and owner, left her alone in the restaurant during every Super Bowl while he watched the game.

"I am on my own," she said. "So everyone else who is stuck on their own has me."

There is no television at her buffet, and no pizza. Orvieto has a license to serve only New Jersey wine, but participants can also take their own drinks.

"They can bring a fine bottle of champagne," Ms. Conticelli said. "And uncork it right here and celebrate not having to watch that football game."

Details

NEW YORK CITY Madame X lounge, 94 West Houston Street, 212-539-0808; www.madamex.com.
What: Anti-Super Bowl Vamp Up for Valentines Party.
When: 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA Kincaid Park, 907-248-6667; www.alaskaskiforwomen.org.
What: Alaska Ski for Women.
When: 10:30 a.m.

TRAVERSE CITY, MICH., AND WINTER PARK, COLO. At Timber Ridge RV & Recreation Resort in Traverse City and Snow Mountain Ranch in Winter Park, 231-929-7775; www.womenswintertour.com.
What: Women's Winter Tour.
When: 9 a.m.

ORCUTT, CALIF. Starting at Longs Drugs, 4852 South Bradley Road, 805-928-3598; www.lospadres.sierraclub.org.
What: Los Padres Sierra Club Super Bowl Alternative Hike and Potluck.
When: 11 a.m.

FLEMINGTON, N.J. Orvieto Restaurant, 148 Main Street, 908-788-0119.
What: Alternative to the Super Bowl Buffet.
When: 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
N8 said:
So when does mtb racing season start?
The Southern California winter series just started! As for football, I have no interest. However, I have been keeping a close eye on this season's Supercross...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why do people take so much pride in disassociating themselves from certain events?

I don't like NASCAR but I don't go posting threads about how much I don't care about it.

:rolleyes: :stosh:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wumpus said:
^^^
That's for XC.

Actually the marathon series started on January 7th. We don't have any hills in Texas so there is no downhill racing.

TMBRA's first event at Tapatio Springs is Feb 4-5...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
i think i'd rather watch a spelling bee. xc bike racing is one of the dullest sporting events i can think of on tv.

so, you gonna race?

I am considering the Arkansas series this year.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sweet, that should be fun and it sounds like AR has a lot of excellent terrain.

does the 29" bike have their own class, or can you race w/ the regular-wheeled set?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
sweet, that should be fun and it sounds like AR has a lot of excellent terrain.

does the 29" bike have their own class, or can you race w/ the regular-wheeled set?

I know it isn't really fair to the kiddie-wheeled riders, but 29ers race with them and usually win.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
I know it isn't really fair to the kiddie-wheeled riders, but 29ers race with them and usually win.
The "usual" winner you speak of, Richard Maecheck, was winning the the AR mtb series on 26'ers way before he switched to 29'ers.....so to imply that because the usual winner is on a 29'er and thus they must be "better" is a bit misleading..........

But nice to hear you'll be racing in the Natural State this year............

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Andyman_1970 said:
The "usual" winner you speak of, Richard Maecheck, was winning the the AR mtb series on 26'ers way before he switched to 29'ers.....so to imply that because the usual winner is on a 29'er and thus they must be "better" is a bit misleading..........
:rolleyes:

Come on, now, are you implying that 29" wheels might not be what's making this man a great racer?

Heaven forbid N8 hear you. You might want to delete this post before he begins a diatribe on the virtues of 29" wheels...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:

But nice to hear you'll be racing in the Natural State this year............

I am talking about Alan Corum and Brady Kendall who is #2 in NORBA's sport men's 30-35 racers...

Not to mention 29ers usually win the SS class as well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:
NEW YORK CITY Madame X lounge, 94 West Houston Street, 212-539-0808; www.madamex.com.
What: Anti-Super Bowl Vamp Up for Valentines Party.
When: 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA Kincaid Park, 907-248-6667; www.alaskaskiforwomen.org.
What: Alaska Ski for Women.
When: 10:30 a.m.

TRAVERSE CITY, MICH., AND WINTER PARK, COLO. At Timber Ridge RV & Recreation Resort in Traverse City and Snow Mountain Ranch in Winter Park, 231-929-7775; www.womenswintertour.com.
What: Women's Winter Tour.
When: 9 a.m.

ORCUTT, CALIF. Starting at Longs Drugs, 4852 South Bradley Road, 805-928-3598; www.lospadres.sierraclub.org.
What: Los Padres Sierra Club Super Bowl Alternative Hike and Potluck.
When: 11 a.m.

FLEMINGTON, N.J. Orvieto Restaurant, 148 Main Street, 908-788-0119.
What: Alternative to the Super Bowl Buffet.
When: 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
All these events are either for women or hippies. Which one are you N8?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
SkaredShtles said:
I'm going to be in Steamboat for Superbowl Sunday. Hopefully I'll be nipple deep in the good stuff................

I envy you

and your bacon:drool:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Race season doesn't start here until May 5th! That sucks!

I will watch the Super Bowl this year because I like both teams and it would be cool to see something out of the PNW win something for a change.

Also, I could have gone all day without hearing about SS's nipples, thanks.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
N8 said:
I am considering the Arkansas series this year.
I will be running the Majority of The Arkansas races too, I just haven't decided yet If I will race in the singlespeed class, or race my Singlespeed in my age group with the gearies...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MunkeeHucker said:
I will be running the Majority of The Arkansas races too, I just haven't decided yet If I will race in the singlespeed class, or race my Singlespeed in my age group with the gearies...

Rumor is that Brady Kendall is racing the SS class this year...

:dead:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
That ain't right, they put singlespeed a "sport level event" which gets sandbagged by experts, when I started racing singlesppeds it was all older guys, most who could run clydesdale, last year I ran against some fast , young kids weighing 135 lbs, I got smoked... Thats why I am thinking of running with the gearies...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MunkeeHucker said:
That ain't right, they put singlespeed a "sport level event" which gets sandbagged by experts, when I started racing singlesppeds it was all older guys, most who could run clydesdale, last year I ran against some fast , young kids weighing 135 lbs, I got smoked... Thats why I am thinking of running with the gearies...

Well, technically he's a Sport racer, and since Alan is racing expert and not in the SS class like he did 2 years ago, I think he isn't going to have much competition this year unless someone new shows up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MunkeeHucker said:
the answer to your problem is simple. put on some of those 'magical acceleration devices' (aka 29" wheels) on yr bike and you will be speeding to the front of the pack and onto the podiums in no time.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
narlus said:
the answer to your problem is simple. put on some of those 'magical acceleration devices' (aka 29" wheels) on yr bike and you will be speeding to the front of the pack and onto the podiums in no time.
Already Got Em! click my Fyling Munkee signature to see Em!

Been Riding Big Boys wheels since 2003....