Quantcast

Super Bowls?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I think there should be a change in the Super Bowl. Instead of having a bye week why not play two games, aggregate score. They can even keep the score up there for the second game. Now that would be exciting. There would be such a build up for the second game and would give the analysts something to talk about. Media week now is a joke. It would be a better money maker for the host city and would allow more people to go to the games. It would also give players a chance to get healthy (since Super Bowls are often plagued with the flu) and teams a chance to change their scheme. In football there are so few possessions that teams don’t really get a chance to do everything they want. Plus many times the Super Bowl is between two teams that haven’t seen each other all year. Maybe I’m biased since I’m a Patriots fan and I think if they played the Giants 10 times they would win 9 but it has got me thinking. They could also give the winning team of the first game a bonus 3 or 7 points to ensure the end of that game would be exciting.

Discuss.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
If they must have a bye week before the Super Bowl, I like the idea of having the Pro Bowl during that bye week, while players in the Super Bowl would not attend. The Pro Bowl sucks anyway, but at least this will give football fans something to pass the time.

I'd prefer to do away with that bye week entirely.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Why dont we make it a Tri, everyone in the sperbowl has to play in the pro bowl (which like IAB says is a week before), and then they have to race to the stadium thats hosting the superbowl (and a minimum of 500 miles away) but cant use anything with an engine (so they can run, rollerbalde, bike, etc). As soon as one team has enough players there, the game starts.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Maybe I’m biased since I’m a Patriots fan and I think if they played the Giants 10 times they would win 9 but it has got me thinking.
That's the entire point of a championship game. It's not to pick the best team from the season. It's to pick the winning team - the one that played best at that game.

Otherwise, we'd just look at the records at the end of the year, declare a winner and let the whole thing drop.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
That's the entire point of a championship game. It's not to pick the best team from the season. It's to pick the winning team - the one that played best at that game.

Otherwise, we'd just look at the records at the end of the year, declare a winner and let the whole thing drop.

But don't you think two games would be more exciting and would better prove the best team? Why do you think other sports have more than a one game championship? The reason the NFL does is because the Super Bowl wasn't a big deal when it started. It was just a game between two different leagues and nobody watched it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
But don't you think two games would be more exciting and would better prove the best team?
Nope, I like "the big game." I watch all season. I know who the best team is. The Super Bowl is just a spectacle and it's cool when it's actually a game like this past season where one team doesn't stomp all over the other. Another week of regular season games I'm on board for, but I don't care about a second Super Bowl game.

Other sports have series games all season, so they have a series for the championship as well. I like football's single games, it makes the season interesting - upsets can happen and that's all she wrote. The little guy takes out the big guy and they get no second chances.

It's just a different approach. If you wanted to turn football into that kind of game, it's got a lot more ramifications than just the Super Bowl - what about all the playoff games where you only get one shot? It's part of what makes the sport interesting.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Other sports have series games all season, so they have a series for the championship as well. I like football's single games, it makes the season interesting - upsets can happen and that's all she wrote. The little guy takes out the big guy and they get no second chances.
It doesn't seem like I agree with BV often, but on this one I do. I love the fact that it's one shot and if you don't adequately prepare (or get outprepared), you're going to lose. If it became anything more, then you'd lose some of the best upsets in football history. Not only this past SB, but the legend of Joe Namath wouldn't be what it is today since the Colts would likely have clobbered them in the 2nd game.

It's a build up to one point that makes Football great. All the marbles at one time.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I like the Pro-bowl in the rest week idea. After the SB, I don't care about the PB. At that point, i'm looking forward to free agency and the draft.

Het Pats fan,

Just give it a rest. You lost, we won.

sincerely,
Giants fan
Rock on Giants fans!

PS: Like it or not, this was one of the best SBs ever.