Quantcast

Super cheapo car thoughts.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How much are you willing to spend?

If I had the money I would buy an old e30 generation BMW 325 or 318. They are rated the most reliable and cheapest to own car ever produced. You can easily find a nice 5 speed in excellent condition for around 2k or get a beat up one for under a grand.

Check

r3vlimited.com
e30tech.com

EDIT: My uncle has 84 e25 with over 160,xxx miles on it and it still runs great.

Although it isn't a hatchback or a wagon, you can easily put a roof or trunk rack on it. Or take the wheels off and put your bike in the trunk.
That would be cool, I haven't found much in the area though. I'll keep looking. Oh, and budget wise, I'm pretty much looking for the cheapest thing I can find that will work, but I could do a couple grand.
:rofl:

I had an '85(ish) E30 I got without 2nd gear for $250. I got a trans and heater core for $150 and drove the piss out of it. It needed a timing belt, so I sold it to a buddy for $500.
That sounds ideal. Pretty much exactly what I want.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That sounds ideal. Pretty much exactly what I want.
Tow auctions. Mine was towed for no insurance. I didn't know 2nd was bad until after I bought it, but I knew it ran because it got pulled over. You can't test drive the cars, but some places let you start them and give it a look.

If a car is impounded for 30 days, they own it. Unless the town bull is crazy (like $2500) then the car is usually nothing special, but there were more than a few quality cheapo cars.

Although that CRX would be awesome.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The more I read about that CRX, the better it sounds. Hmm...
I had a 1989 DX (not Si and not HF). The DX had nice seats like the Si, same basic motor as the Si (the HF has only 8 valves and is gutless) and I would average 45mpg. I got as good as 58mpg on the freeway driving like a jackass. It was fun to drive, too. Good power to weight for a front wheel drive. It's no sports car, but had plenty of interior room seeing how I'm 6'4" and had a lot of room.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Get the CRX. Just don't know where you'd put your bikes.

At least if you don't like it, they're easy to sell.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Older toyota truck with a 22r motor.
You can find a decent vw for under 2k. Look around and you will find something.
Probably the two hardest finds in Socal to find right there. YOu can find a late 90's s10 a third of the price than you can the 80's toyota trucks.

And for the VW remark........No, you cant. Any of them withmore than 75K are an absolute nightemare of random failures, hard to find parts, and costly special orders.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Get the CRX. Just don't know where you'd put your bikes.

At least if you don't like it, they're easy to sell.
at least the friggin seats fold down, you should be able to get one in there with the wheels off. anyways...the CRX is a neat car that's super lightweight and as efficient as a prius...pretty cool.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Putting a new ignition in isn't that hard. You can also throw a few random switches in under the dash so only you know how to start it.

Plus, who the hell is going to steal that?
Two people would steal that in a ehartbeat here in SOcal...Punk ass Jackass, that wants to go for a joyride in a car that is pretty inconspicuous to the local PoPO.

The other is the local punk jack ass that is about to commit a crime of some sort, and need something easy to steal, with the same reasons as the above.

early subaru wagon. I like 82-84 with 83 being my favorite. I have two. Picked each up for 500. Both run like champs
This would be the most Ideal, it fits budget, its easier to find, and damn they run forever. You can fit your bike inside without taking the wheels off, good milages, fairly easy to find parts, easy to work on. Good all around vehicle, great 4x4 system setup as well, that is, if you get the 4x4 model.

early to mid 90's toyota camry or Corolla, stay away from Nissans in that era, Honds from Mid 80's to mid 90's were hit or miss.

Check out possible looking for eitehr a late 80's early 90's ranger or Mazda Pickup, they can be had for quite cheap. My lil sister would possible be intrested in selling hers for around 2k ish, its a 98 ranger. they are also fairly easy to work on, easy to transport your bike, and good milages.

Def get something that is fuel injected if at all possible, older Carbs in Socal are an absolute bitch to find parts for, specially on imports, you usually get rammed for ****ty rebuild that may or may likely still not work properly.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
my 1st real car was a '89 CRX SI...awesome car...but as far as that ad is concerned I wonder why this person wants "cash only"...make sure you get a carfax done...D