Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
God you guys are dumb. Use your brains.

Hes in NZ right? The track was somewhat rough, with a 10 second sprint at the end right? KB is an elite racer, and looking at the image of the bike is clear where the mechanical came from.

He got a sheep tangled in the idler.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
z
it is funny to me how much pressure is on this frame.
really the case w/ any product on rm - under the microscope, and subject to rabid ill-informed scrutiny. standard message board culture, really - a bunch of bored fanatics, what else we gonna do?

random: i for one miss the days of rampant freaky proto development. though bikes today are better than ever, the industry (apart from these guys) has been kinda boring lately...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
really the case w/ any product on rm - under the microscope, and subject to rabid ill-informed scrutiny. standard message board culture, really - a bunch of bored fanatics, what else we gonna do?
tis true, and thank you for realizing it...that thread on "why so picky" got my goat...we're a bunch of hobbyists with nothing better to do...of course we're going to watch/criticize/get excited about new things.

random: i for one miss the days of rampant freaky proto development. though bikes today are better than ever, the industry (apart from these guys) has been kinda boring lately...
bring back BCD! I loved that guy.... and it's too bad cannondale ran out of money, they were always good for crazy stuff. Oh well, I guess EVIL is still pushing the limits with their invisbl bike nyuck nyuck nyuck

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Any new news on the web site coming online and distribution outside of NZ? Would offer some piece mind to those of us considering.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
As far as I know yeah.

At first I kinda thought it might be the interface for centre lock but the splines are way smaller on all the hubs I've seen.

Edit- just thought, I wonder if the spoke holes are designed to come off so you can take the hub apart for maintenance/repair??

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
w00dy sez the flange comes off. Not sure what the reason is, but yeah, apparently the whole spoke flange can be knocked off with a hammer.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
w00dy sez the flange comes off. Not sure what the reason is, but yeah, apparently the whole spoke flange can be knocked off with a hammer.
It's just how those hubs are made. The spoke flanges press on to a spline. It's been the case with every internally geared hub I've worked on. The hub shells are usually steel since there are multiple ratchet rings built in. So they press on stamped spoke flanges rather than hogging out a bunch of steel to make it from one piece.

Edit: It would be really cool to see them make a dedicated cog that would press on to the hub shell. That could save some grams.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Edit: It would be really cool to see them make a dedicated cog that would press on to the hub shell. That could save some grams.
assuming the cog diameter that they need to use (for optimum chain torque vector / hub positioning / compact packaging) is too small to accomplish this. if it's similar to the lahar configuration (which uses a standard granny) - the carrier is pretty light. also note the flush axle mounts - so there's no protruding nuts from the already wide frame.

would love to see the implementation of something like this - as the hub shell isn't subjected to wheel loading, you could go relatively minimalist / lightweight (carbon sram imotion 9). haven't heard much about imotion hubs. anybody have experience with them?

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
assuming the cog diameter that they need to use (for optimum chain torque vector / hub positioning / compact packaging) is too small to accomplish this. if it's similar to the lahar configuration (which uses a standard granny) - the carrier is pretty light. also note the flush axle mounts - so there's no protruding nuts from the already wide frame.

would love to see the implementation of something like this - as the hub shell isn't subjected to wheel loading, you could go relatively minimalist / lightweight (carbon sram imotion 9). haven't heard much about imotion hubs. anybody have experience with them?

They can always change the diameter of another cog slightly to adjust and maintain ratios, but if a cog is large enough to bolt to the flange it is large enough to replace it.

I hadn't seen the iMotion with a carbon shell. Near stuff. A custom shell might be a good way to shave some weight since, as you said, there are no regular wheel forces. Even throwing it on a lathe and removing some excess material could drop significant weight.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
They can always change the diameter of another cog slightly to adjust and maintain ratios, but if a cog is large enough to bolt to the flange it is large enough to replace it.
but then you're going to have a proprietary wearing part (chainring) vs, using standard rings & a proprietary carrier that will last the lifetime of the bike. as well, bumping the hub cog size will require a larger crank chainring as well - less ground clearance, and a smidge more weight (probably dont want to downsize the rear hub cog too much for longevity concerns). makes sense to keep things as compact as possible up front for packaging reasons as well.

haha, oh how we armchair engineers ramble... does give one an appreciation for what it takes to produce a bike like this - so many variables...

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
but then you're going to have a proprietary wearing part (chainring) vs, using standard rings & a proprietary carrier that will last the lifetime of the bike. as well, bumping the hub cog size will require a larger crank chainring as well - less ground clearance, and a smidge more weight (probably dont want to downsize the rear hub cog too much for longevity concerns). makes sense to keep things as compact as possible up front for packaging reasons as well.

haha, oh how we armchair engineers ramble... does give one an appreciation for what it takes to produce a bike like this - so many variables...
I will concede the benefits of easily replaceable cogs. That is a big plus.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Just few days ago, friend of mine found out that Rohloff makes some OEM hub shells for some bike/trike menufacturers. And one of these custom shells is EXACTLY what Aaron Franklin and Rob with Dodzy had to gain by making a secondary sprocket carrier and attaching it via spoke flange drilled holes. The shell has no spoke flanges, and outer shape on drive side is adjusted for mounting standard 74mm BCD granny ring (the same as Lahar did). 64mm granny is impossible to put on standard Speedhub shell as primary and secondary chain will collide.
And this customized Speedhub is only 25eur more expensive!!! :thumb: If only we knew about that much sooner ...

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
For the next level in DH mountain bicycle gearing I think somebody should develop geared bottom brackets!
With planetary gears similar to the Alfine and Rohloff etc. But you would have drive from the cranks going directly into the gear box in the bottom bracket. Drive could then go straight to a secondary idler gear (possibly w/ a jackshaft) mounted concentric to the (high) main pivot. Rear hub should be fixed with the free wheel also in the "BBGBox". You'd get an ideal super low COG, you could also even mount the shock low down similar to how it is at the moment on the Zerode. Ideally it would benefit from a carbon mainframe to house it all and provide the required torsional rigidity.

It would be mint!

No one is making this kind of bicycle technology yet but they should :thumb:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
didn't those poms do this recently (and I'm sure over history it's been done loads) - you know the crowd with the cast frame? I'm sure there was a pinion/shaft drive arrangement off the bb to rear wheel...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Pinion gearbox and G-Box are at the BB. But both are a bit bulky. We need a narrower geared hub made by Shimano or Sram, then the guts could be put into a gearbox chassis directly driven by a BB with a cog on it. I guess sub 80mm would be ideal, rather than the 100mm width I've been banging on about it other threads.
But back to the super sick Zeroed. Any Monkeys own one yet?

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
alright time to set the record straight about the jammed chain in Napier.
We finished building the bike at about 10.45pm the night before practice and then drove to the race at 6am the next day so things were fairly hectic and we never got a chance to have a good going over the bike to make sure things were dialled. It turns out that the guide over the tensioner wheel was loose and that moved down and jammed up my chain during the race run. simple problem and a simple fix, did it up tighter and had absolutely no issues over the 25 or so runs i did last week in rotorua.
so sorry to ruin it for all of you who were speculating but there you have it straight from the horses mouth

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
alright time to set the record straight about the jammed chain in Napier.
We finished building the bike at about 10.45pm the night before practice and then drove to the race at 6am the next day so things were fairly hectic and we never got a chance to have a good going over the bike to make sure things were dialled. It turns out that the guide over the tensioner wheel was loose and that moved down and jammed up my chain during the race run. simple problem and a simple fix, did it up tighter and had absolutely no issues over the 25 or so runs i did last week in rotorua.
so sorry to ruin it for all of you who were speculating but there you have it straight from the horses mouth
you didn't ruin it for us... quite the contrary. How about telling us more about the bike? how it rides, how it handles various terrain and situations, etc etc etc.... :D

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
so far after only a week or so on the bike im completely stoked with it, i can easily say its the best downhill bike ive ridden.
the suspension works so well through holes, roots, off cambers etc and is still fully active under braking.

as far as the maitenance on the hub im not sure yet as i havent had it long, it is really easy to adjust the shifting, the hub has a small window which all you do is adjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter untill the two yellow lines and lined up in the window and your set to go with perfect shifting.

being able to shift without pedalling is awesome, once you remember you can do it you start doing it all the time getting set up for the next sprint.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
so far after only a week or so on the bike im completely stoked with it, i can easily say its the best downhill bike ive ridden.
the suspension works so well through holes, roots, off cambers etc and is still fully active under braking.

as far as the maitenance on the hub im not sure yet as i havent had it long, it is really easy to adjust the shifting, the hub has a small window which all you do is adjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter untill the two yellow lines and lined up in the window and your set to go with perfect shifting.

being able to shift without pedalling is awesome, once you remember you can do it you start doing it all the time getting set up for the next sprint.
Aww KB, you're so awesome you don't even need to pedal anyways

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
the suspension works so well through holes, roots, off cambersso rear traction cornering is good on off cambers? Better than what other bikes you've riden? etc and is still fully active under braking.By design it's not fully active, well it is, but it's already using some of the travel squatting under brakes, so the springs ramped up a bit, but good to hear it feels it. Can you notice the rear squat much under brakes?

Yep, one of the main things I missed when I sold my Lahar, you take it for granted, then get on another bike and go WTF.
Did you clip your ankles on the gearbox before you got used to it?
Thanks for the mini report. Feel free to do a bigger one:thumb:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
NSM, were you riding your Lahar with floating brake and/or non-floating? If the floater is parallel to swingarm, then according to theory there shall be significant difference between those two.