Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
NSM, were you riding your Lahar with floating brake and/or non-floating? If the floater is parallel to swingarm, then according to theory there shall be significant difference between those two.
Yeah, that's sort of my point. Yes Lahar(with floater), but I've owned Balfa BB7 x 3(no floater), Brooklyn Race Link(floater), Katipo X 2(with and without floater),BMW SR6(with floater).
Still not sure what I prefer.
In short, I think no floaters better if you're on your game.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I've never ever ridden such bikes like Zerode and Lahar (with floater) that I could compare the difference in interaction of brake with susp. between them. But my estimation of very high anti-rise rates like Zerode has is that suspension will strongly tend to compress => reduce grip => block wheel => loose traction. However, Lahar w/ floater shall keep the traction by pushing the swingarm against terrain due to lower anti-rise.
How did you perceive the difference ?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I've never ever ridden such bikes like Zerode and Lahar (with floater) that I could compare the difference in interaction of brake with susp. between them. But my estimation of very high anti-rise rates like Zerode has is that suspension will strongly tend to compress => reduce grip => block wheel => loose traction. However, Lahar w/ floater shall keep the traction by pushing the swingarm against terrain due to lower anti-rise.
How did you perceive the difference ?
I'm not sure where you get loose traction from.
Floater makes suspension stay active when braking(if set up neutral), however the forks dive, making headangle steepen when braking.
No floater makes rear squat, but keeps geo more consistent as the forks dive. Also helps feel rear wheel traction, and enables you to feel the traction better, and control it. Suspension still works, but is just stiffer, same as the compressed forks.
Floater helps you if your out of shape, as the suspension will still absord small hits well, same with braking bumps, will let the wheel stay on the ground.
However you can attack corners etc a bit easier without the floater I found, as you can feel the bike stiffen and use it. No floater I find better for agressive riding. With a high pivot, the rear suspension even when compressed still absorbs bumps better than most lower pivot(less reward travel)bikes.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but bear in mind the price you pay is actually effectively $300 cheaper than the price advertised...

How so? Well, no need to buy a chainguide, shifter, mech or cassette. And if you're building a decent spec all of that stuff adds up to a fair whack!

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Yep, one of the main things I missed when I sold my Lahar, you take it for granted, then get on another bike and go WTF.
this is a good point. i've never ridden a high pivot w/o floater, but the bike is just ridiculously planted & neutral through the most ridiculous stuff you can throw at it. allows a greater comfort margin for getting sh1t done. brake hard through chunder & braking bumps & it stays planted. pretty neat.

great to hear a prelim independent rider review on the zerode - feel free to elaborate. thanks!

deadahmed

Chimp
Jan 26, 2011
When the biker begins to lean on sharp corners and sitting on the saddle, the gear bed will begin to crack... that seat-tube has not so good force dissipation trough his bed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
When the biker begins to lean on sharp corners and sitting on the saddle, the gear bed will begin to crack... that seat-tube has not so good force dissipation trough his bed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Anything is possible, and I don't know whether there'a been any FEA work done on the frame (I think not)... but the frames I've seen (prod and pre-prod) looked burly enough.

Neither of the designers are mugs, and the prototypes got a hell of a hammering to shake out stuff like that.

Time will tell I guess.

In other shocking news, it seems that Intense/insertyourhatedbrandhere frames fail. More at 11, tune in then for an update.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's not a motorcross bike. How many times would this scenario occur(rider sitting cornering with bike not being able to deflect)?
How many repetitions do you think it could take before cracking?
Why the new user name? Surely you've not just joined Ride Monkey as a newby to make a negative coment on a toatally random bike.

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Anything is possible, and I don't know whether there'a been any FEA work done on the frame (I think not)... but the frames I've seen (prod and pre-prod) looked burly enough.

Nah, it has just been through the latest technology in VFEA (Visual finite element analysis) by deadahmed. His analysis is telling us that the seatpost is going to fail catastrophically and the rider is going to get impaled while cornering!!! :eek:

deadahmed

Chimp
Jan 26, 2011
How many repetitions do you think it could take before cracking?
2 years ago a side hit in a tree bent my 6kg cr-mo in this area. In fact I prefer to do light-to-med dh in sitting position nevertheless that I'm not so heavy (~71kg).

Why the new user name? Surely you've not just joined Ride Monkey as a newby to make a negative coment on a toatally random bike.
Why? Can't understand you but to be precise I'm doing a research for totally random bikes with interesting ideas not from yesterday.

@dropmachine.com - I like your sense of humor, but can you use different colors next time?

btw what's the current price of this gearhub in your countries?

Last edited:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
2 years ago a side hit in a tree bent my 6kg cr-mo in this area. In fact I prefer to do light-to-med dh in sitting position... (~71kg).
Oh, well in that case you must be right about the fatigue and strength properties of a totally different frame.

Thanks.

Nah, I'm kidding - I think you're wrong but who knows? Let's wait until one breaks (or better yet is rumored to have broken) before speculating so wildly...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
2 years ago a side hit in a tree bent my 6kg cr-mo in this area. In fact I prefer to do light-to-med dh in sitting position nevertheless that I'm not so heavy (~71kg).

Why? Can't understand you but to be precise I'm doing a research for totally random bikes with interesting ideas not from yesterday.

@dropmachine.com - I like your sense of humor, but can you use different colors next time?

btw what's the current price of this gearhub in your countries?
the alfine 11 runs about 5-600. Previous versions around 240, I think. Shifter and gear is extra.

I wouldn't worry about sideloads on the seatmast. The seattube goes clear through and if you're that concerned, run a full length post. I've seen much spindlier (intense's Uzzi series comes to mind) seat masts that have never had a problem.

deadahmed

Chimp
Jan 26, 2011
Extra means extra money for them? lol
Talking about this type of seattube I've seen about 3 or 4 frames in my city have ~1-2° displacement...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
where are you from? what are they riding? I have never heard of bent seat tubes and I'm from the internet.

Yes extra $$$ for the shifter, cog, and "small parts" which you probably don't need. I expect the Zerode will come with everything shy of a hub for the drivetrain. You MAY need to supply your own chain and spacers, but I'd be willing to bet that's part of the package...we'll see. Would be smart for them to just ship it ready to go sans wheels and cranks.

It's tough to compare to other bikes because you're really only getting cassette, derailleur and shifter, which is generally under $200 where I'm from....but when you factor in the actual price of the hub, suddenly the price of the frame becomes more reasonable, since 3300-600=2700, which is a pretty competitive price. You could subtract another $200 and suddenly it's $2500, which is a steal...but that's not the actual price.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Remember that most of that mass is sprung and central in the frame. i.e. where you'd want it to be.

I wonder how much weight they could save by making a carbon mainframe :thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Remember that most of that mass is sprung and central in the frame. i.e. where you'd want it to be.

I wonder how much weight they could save by making a carbon mainframe :thumb:
true but you also lose a relatively insignificant amount of weight compared to a standard drivetrain...you still need a second hub and shifter. You're really only losing a few links of chain, 8 cogs, and the derailleur.

I'm not trying to knock the bike, I personally think the added weight is much less of a concern compared with a durrailer and cassette. Maybe they can develop a hub that's "zerode" specific, kind of like the lahar.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Really?
Please elaborate
A friend had one and I traded him another frame for it. I was always curious about those and remember Cam Cole absolutely shredding on his around here a while back. So, when my buddy was ready to build up a new bike I offered to trade.

I think the TT is way too short for me but I'll build it up to check it out anyway just for fun.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
hub is about 3.5lbs. 2.75" shock.

rad! details!
A buddy has been on one for years and two seasons ago another friend and I gave it an overhaul. We had to epoxy new bearings into the BB and he machined new integrated headset cups that we also had to epoxy into the frame. The chain tensioner got a whole new spring setup as well a bunch of other bearings and the bike was brought back to life. I have a little history with this one and I know I can get her running smooth again, I hope.

It'll be a nice little winter project.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
a bit portly, though not to far off the mark for a 1st gen design i suppose. guessing you'd be able to hit 40lbs w/ a weenie spec.
FWIW, I was told 39lb for one that's been built already. No way of confirming this, but seemed about right.

Not light, but not too bad at all.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Alfine weighs exactly the same as a Rohloff (1590g) but is half the price, and I believe uses a trigger shifter instead of a grip? 2 out of 3 isn't bad :)