Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
So, can anyone verify whether or not these things brake like total dickheads?

Pivot placement with no floater on this thing makes me really wary.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Was the frame weight ever posted or does zerode go the same way most gearbox companies go and post super light builds claiming they can be built light?

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
So, can anyone verify whether or not these things brake like total dickheads?

Pivot placement with no floater on this thing makes me really wary.
Hard to not answer with a smart a** comment. How do you like a bike to brake? I prefer a little bit a squat myself, which I imagine this bikes does to some extent. Not ridden it so am only speculating but you should be more clear with your question if you want a serious response.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
5.5kg with rc4 and steel spring but no gearbox

gear box is around 1.7kg with shifter
Thanks for the info.

5.5kg is heavy-ish for a no gearbox bike the 1.7kg gearbox is also heavy considering there is no cranks. Even if I substract 600g for the regular drivetrain thats 1.5kg over a standard non gearbox frame. Sucks. Im no weight wennie but I want to keep the weight reasonable. Ill wait for a lighter hub/gearbox. That carbon city g-boxx hub looked like a nice idea.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Thanks for the info.

5.5kg is heavy-ish for a no gearbox bike the 1.7kg gearbox is also heavy considering there is no cranks. Even if I substract 600g for the regular drivetrain thats 1.5kg over a standard non gearbox frame. Sucks. Im no weight wennie but I want to keep the weight reasonable. Ill wait for a lighter hub/gearbox. That carbon city g-boxx hub looked like a nice idea.
Main weight of gearbox and shock are between your legs, makes a big difference in how it feels riding as far as weight's concerned. Even beneficial having a balast in the middle.
I think the weight weenie things got a bit blind. Buy light, but only if it's as good or better than something else in every way. Stuff is light enough to not compromise on performance IMO now days.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Main weight of gearbox and shock are between your legs, makes a big difference in how it feels riding as far as weight's concerned. Even beneficial having a balast in the middle.
I think the weight weenie things got a bit blind. Buy light, but only if it's as good or better than something else in every way. Stuff is light enough to not compromise on performance IMO now days.
Im far from a weight wennie. I just dont belive the gearbox is worth an extra 1.5kg in on my bike.
I also understand that the weight being centered means its less noticable but if you like to pop and play around you will feel an extra 1.5kg. I wouldnt probably complain if I didnt think it was possible to go lighter but I dont think that the non gearbox part of the frame should be much heavier than a normal frame and the gearbox/hub could be lighter ass well - as stared in this thread previously - just use a lighter hub. Lesser loads when used as a gearbox than as a hubs.
Also Im not knocking the idea by any means. I still think its great and I understand why people would want to buy it. I just think there is room for improvement.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Im far from a weight wennie. I just dont belive the gearbox is worth an extra 1.5kg in on my bike.
I also understand that the weight being centered means its less noticable but if you like to pop and play around you will feel an extra 1.5kg. I wouldnt probably complain if I didnt think it was possible to go lighter but I dont think that the non gearbox part of the frame should be much heavier than a normal frame and the gearbox/hub could be lighter ass well - as stared in this thread previously - just use a lighter hub. Lesser loads when used as a gearbox than as a hubs.
Also Im not knocking the idea by any means. I still think its great and I understand why people would want to buy it. I just think there is room for improvement.
Fair call, Buy what you want.
It's their first gen built tough. If you want a tough bike, buy the first gen. If you want to wait for a lighter version, who knows how long it'll be.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's their first gen built tough. If you want a tough bike, buy the first gen. If you want to wait for a lighter version, who knows how long it'll be.
Im happy with my legend so I wont be changing my frame soon anyway. Im also not a frequent shifter or a hard pedaller so the gearbox is not that much of a selling factor for me. I like the idea but unless the winter training this year does miracles and I can pedal around the globe it is not really for me at the current weight ;)

ralf007

Chimp
Oct 30, 2007
new zealand
they are looking at dropping the weight / side wall thickness in the next run of frames, but that could be a year or so away..

but as the frame is it can be build under 40

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm sure that a chunk of weight could be lost from the links, they look super beefy. I'd take a slightly heavier, better working, more reliable bike over a lighter more fragile bike weighted at its rear any day of the week. Whether the zerode turns out to be reliable and good performing is going to be interesting to find out

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't think you'll ever see a gearbox bike that's lighter than a standard drivetrain frame. At the very least, not for a very long time. Most gearboxes currently come in hub flavor, and still require a chain and two sprockets. Unless you're using a hub as a derailleur, you simply can't get lighter.

Eventually maybe we can figure out how to either eliminate the freewheel on the rear hub, reduce the weight of the chain (maybe a belt drive or shorter...?) or come up with some kind of fancy internals, but nobody is interested in making a gearbox in quantity and the alfine hub is the closest thing to DH specific...but it's still adding an extra hub to a frame that's already running very close to a full drivetrain.

I bet the frame will see another evolution in the coming years. It's a great design that could probably shed a few pounds, but A) is a 36lb bike significantly better than a 38lb bike, especially when the latter has a gearbox and associated benefits? and B) do people still want the ultra thin tubes of the Session? I have to say that should I not be getting married right at the start of the season and the IRS knocking on my door, one of these would be on its way over.

also, fyi, there's no GST for US buyers...that reduces the price to a little over $3000, plus shipping. 3200 to your door makes it extremely competitive with other frames, especially considering it comes with most of the drivetrain.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Eventually maybe we can figure out how to either eliminate the freewheel on the rear hub, reduce the weight of the chain (maybe a belt drive or shorter...?)
Pretty sure it has been discussed in this thread already, anyways a 150mm fixed hub wouldn't exactly need an engineering miracle to put it into production. A fixed rear hub with a belt drive could be a very good idea though, low rotating mass, quiet, etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Pretty sure it has been discussed in this thread already, anyways a 150mm fixed hub wouldn't exactly need an engineering miracle to put it into production. A fixed rear hub with a belt drive could be a very good idea though, low rotating mass, quiet, etc.
yup it has, but we simply aren't there yet. I imagine this version of the frame will have some staying power. They can release a spider version later with some serious CNC work to the main bridge and links, or a carbon fork, or a 135mm hub (don't really need 150mm spacing without a cassette)...but we aren't there yet.

My main point is simply that I'm willing to wager that this frame is worth the 2lbs over other highly competitive frames.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
yup it has, but we simply aren't there yet. I imagine this version of the frame will have some staying power. They can release a spider version later with some serious CNC work to the main bridge and links, or a carbon fork, or a 135mm hub (don't really need 150mm spacing without a cassette)...but we aren't there yet.

My main point is simply that I'm willing to wager that this frame is worth the 2lbs over other highly competitive frames.
Yeah good point, what hub could you run if you want a dishless wheel in a 135mm spacing?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Not a concentric pivot, no belt drive.
You could always get a surly fixxer or do a ghetto fixed with some zip ties.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
They can use a Belt as a primary chain but I'm not sure if this will make the bike Lighter or better...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't think you'll ever see a gearbox bike that's lighter than a standard drivetrain frame. At the very least, not for a very long time. Most gearboxes currently come in hub flavor, and still require a chain and two sprockets. Unless you're using a hub as a derailleur, you simply can't get lighter.

Eventually maybe we can figure out how to either eliminate the freewheel on the rear hub, reduce the weight of the chain (maybe a belt drive or shorter...?) or come up with some kind of fancy internals, but nobody is interested in making a gearbox in quantity and the alfine hub is the closest thing to DH specific...but it's still adding an extra hub to a frame that's already running very close to a full drivetrain.

I bet the frame will see another evolution in the coming years. It's a great design that could probably shed a few pounds, but A) is a 36lb bike significantly better than a 38lb bike, especially when the latter has a gearbox and associated benefits? and B) do people still want the ultra thin tubes of the Session? I have to say that should I not be getting married right at the start of the season and the IRS knocking on my door, one of these would be on its way over.

also, fyi, there's no GST for US buyers...that reduces the price to a little over $3000, plus shipping. 3200 to your door makes it extremely competitive with other frames, especially considering it comes with most of the drivetrain.

Lighter? No but similar weight would be good. Even glory frame weight would be cool. I have no problem with a 38lb bike but I tend to use burly parts to be safe. I dont want to go overboard light but lets not go to the other extreme. You can have a burly, reasonably light frame and build it at 37-38lb cheap. Session thin tubes suck. I agree. Never wanted a one hit frame.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I still think Alfine is there firstly because of lower price, secondly for slightly lower weight. You don't need 11 gears for DH race or just shredding, so much more weight can be stripped down. For all other applications Rohloff Speedhub has no competitor, IMO. Not mentioning the custom version they make.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
and most likely be too tight around the gearbox, they already machining a bit of it down and removing other bits to fit in the frame
Full disclosure, I run a belt on my DH bike and consult for a belt-drive manufacturer.

The tension would be fine on the hub, even if you had 2 belts on there it would not exceed the hub's capacity. You might have some space issues, because the belt cogs are a bit wider than chainrings. The main issue, however is availability of different belt lengths. Each belt length requires it's own mold tool. This is a gigantic investment. The only reason my company is able to offer belts at a reasonable price is the fact that the proper belt lengths exist in the industrial market already.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^indeed. granted you get extra super duper longevity from a standard chain when it's not subjected to being dragged laterally up & down a cogset. also given the additional packaging headaches (ie, the additional belt width may not feasibly fit on the gearhub alongside the primary), methinks it's got low viability within the context of this type of drivetrain.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
There is not enough space for 2 belts, nor for primary belt and secondary chain because IMO you want to keep both chainlines on each drivetrain (primary and secondary) as close as possible and it can be done with 1mm accuracy. But then there is not enough space on gear hub where two sprockets are put very close to each other. And you'd have to install belt(s) together with gearbox which isn't very user-friendly. And you'd have to have rear hub movable in its dropouts to tension the secondary belt, too.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
two hunnert pesos? 3200 all said and done? as cheap as a turner, to your door. 200$ more expensive than an M9. Damn.

I have no money and am about to have even less, but IMO that's a screaming deal, and then you factor in the drivetrain is paid for...