Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
If shipping came down and the bike rode well would you buy one?
Probably but I just purchased an M9 but that does not mean I cant have 2 bikes.
The frame was more also but not that much.
I could swing it but I dont want to pay $300 shipping.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Probably but I just purchased an M9 but that does not mean I cant have 2 bikes.
The frame was more also but not that much.
I could swing it but I dont want to pay $300 shipping.
Now you have a perfect excuse to Holiday (do a little training) down there next winter.....

J

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I had my first two runs on a mates Zerode today. and it was frickeen awsome. Even not set up as I'd have it it was brilliant. and pedalled really really well. Loved it, ate everything in it's path. I couldn't fault it. Perhaps after more rides.
Covered the glory hole very sucesfully with a piece of XC tyre and zip ties. Works a treat, and I'd imagine offers plenty of protection.
BB was 13 3/4 from memory, perfect IMO.
I couldn't notice it was over 2kg heavier than my low 17KG Katipo.
I forgot how great being able to change gears while your coasting(down a rocky section even)is, and no grinding or effort to change, just pop, done. If you told someon eit was electric, I think they'd believe you, as the effort on the triggers is minimal for a change.
Didn't touch the gearbox with my feet at all. Just felt like a normal bike that pedalled well, and ate everything in it's path. Breaking was great, and I didn't notice the suspension packing up much when braking, less than my Katipo, but I'd say that's just shock set up. Back to tuning for me, as the Zerode felt great.
I'll try to get the owner to chime in with his opinion after a few more cdays riding. But so far, he's loving it.

Last edited:

Keewee

Chimp
Jan 8, 2002
Singapore/New Zealand
^Ditto. I had some decent runs on my Zerode today. Deliberately smashed as many rocks etc to test the bike on first run. Felt great and ate it up with ease. Then tried smoother lines and it felt so fast. Shifting was easy. Weight was not noticeable.

A little bit over sprung and only used around 8" of rear travel so I guess my setup can only get better with the correct spring. Can't wait to get more runs!!!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
^Ditto. I had some decent runs on my Zerode today. Deliberately smashed as many rocks etc to test the bike on first run. Felt great and ate it up with ease. Then tried smoother lines and it felt so fast. Shifting was easy. Weight was not noticeable.

A little bit over sprung and only used around 8" of rear travel so I guess my setup can only get better with the correct spring. Can't wait to get more runs!!!
Yeah the bike I rode was oversprung too. Probibly helped the pedalling a touch.
I'll say it again. FORGET THE WEIGHT hang up on this bike. The bulk is between your legs, so wear lighter shoes. The rear is light, no mech, no cassette, no floater, nice triangulated rear end so no need for an oversize rear swingarm(but still crazy overbuilt stays), so the back's a slight as a dirt jump hardtail, and the stays are short. I assure you, everybody riding this bike will not notice any weight. If I can, I'll try get someone to ride my mates without picking it up, or knowing the weight. I'lll bet there's no comment.
I'm actually a bit pissed off hoow good they are, as I don't want to/can't sell my Katipo.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
No skidding or easy wheel lockout even on slight application of rear breake? Does it still keep the grip under heavy braking or does the wheel tend to lift and loose contact?

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Felt active under braking and very controlled. Didnt have a tendency to break traction. Stuck like poo to a blanket.
Going to have a ride on a dryer solid trail tomorrow that's a bit rougher. Will let you know how that goes

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
So today went great! Bike feels so light when riding. Can pick it up and do little jumps over roots and rocks with ease. I took deliberate rough lines though our rock garden and it felt awesome.
There's a high speed drop into tight off camber switch backs on our trail and it didn't slide at all even under braking.
Jumps like a trooper.
Shifting whenever you need is AMAZING!!

Did not want to stop hiking out the runs. Got called on light.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm very glad to hear this, very. And how did it feel to have such wide frame between your legs? Don't you sometimes touch it with knees? Also, aren't rear dropouts very close to your heels (it's got 150mm rear end, hasn't it?)?

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
didnt notice the width of the frame.
it feels awesome in corners. like a moto with good weight under you.
no issues with ankle clearance. im coming from a 12/135 rear end to this and I honestly havent noticed that side of the change.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Got my bike built up and a down a few runs. Wow.. the pedaling is on par with any vpp bike I have ridden and it is damn silent. Need more snow to melt for more appropriate trails to open up.

Anyhow some eye candy

Big thanks to the monkeys that helped me with the parts!

No idea on weight, Japanese LBSes dont have scales that are worth a damn. Bike feels real solid, glued to the ground, stable and silent. I will get a better review up when I get on some more varied trails.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Looks great!

(is Nikko where the Toshigu (?sp?) shine is? If so - I've been there - beautiful mountains)
Yeah, Toshogu.

There is a sweet trail ride that drops you right at the red bridge near toshogu after 5km of fun singletrack. Lots of new trails going in to, need more snow to melt....

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't see this posted yet.

@ 4:00 "Yeah I think the mountain bike industry still runs on old wives tales, to a large degree."

WOT:shocked:?!?! I like my Kool Aid manufactured within the last 6 months with multi link patents, marketing hype, custom colorways, carbon fiber under aramid layers, lower stack heights, flat wide bars and fvking magnets!

I'm not wasting my hard earned on "tested theory" and "good solid technology"...... do I look stooopid? (<rhetorical question, please do not reply.)
;)

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
They have already setup distributors for major markets.

Was it my poor understanding of spoken english or they speaking quietly in interview or did they really not mention Lahar bike at all in the interview? Or should I not ask about that?

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
They have already setup distributors for major markets.

Was it my poor understanding of spoken english or they speaking quietly in interview or did they really not mention Lahar bike at all in the interview? Or should I not ask about that?
why would they need to?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think that when they bring a trail bike to market, I will be one of the first in line. I'm looking forward to hearing from people how these run.