Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes the gearbox sits up above the top shock mount where the silver triangles are in the pic XY posted.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Well, I would not call it 'bad'.... It is central, it is sprung mass, and the damper is moved quite far down. Ideally you would want all of you mass sprung, central and low..but that is obviously not going to happen, and IMO the axle path that they built and the significant loss of unsprung mass is well worth the sightly higher sprung COM.

It is also an Alfine 8 speed hub. It is, simpler, less $$, and IIRC significantly lighter than the rohloff (and much lighter than any of the proper gearbox options).

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
It is also an Alfine 8 speed hub. It is, simpler, less $$, and IIRC significantly lighter than the rohloff (and much lighter than any of the proper gearbox options).
if they get production done somewhat cost effectively (which they're taking all the right steps to do so, it seems), this could well become the most viable gearbox bike yet & make great strides in re-legitimizing the concept. looking forward to hearing where this is at.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
It's also one of the only options for a gearbox with a trigger shifter (other than the electric one on HaveFaith's project).

The only thing this project is missing is a split pivot, with the brake mounted on the lower member.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
if they get production done somewhat cost effectively (which they're taking all the right steps to do so, it seems), this could well become the most viable gearbox bike yet & make great strides in re-legitimizing the concept. looking forward to hearing where this is at.
Last I heard Rob and Dodzy were not happy with the pre-production prototypes the asian contractor had produced so they made the call to move production to NZ so they could ensure the quality of the end product. The tooling I think is already here and they were hoping to get production frames out before the end of the year.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Last I heard Rob and Dodzy were not happy with the pre-production prototypes the asian contractor had produced so they made the call to move production to NZ so they could ensure the quality of the end product. The tooling I think is already here and they were hoping to get production frames out before the end of the year.
Let's hope nobody steals their tooling and plants drugs on their premises and tries to hostile-takeover them and steal bananas from their monkey troop and what have you.

I had a bounce on the steel proto one here in Whistler a couple of months ago, in a carpark. Definitely the best bike I've ever carpark-tested.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
found a decent pic of the frame with no info. not sure if this is just the proto, but looks production worthy as it sits. very nice:

That's a design I can finally get excited about.

Build it and they will come.................

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Rad pic of the frame. Makes me wonder though, wouldnt that thing have an extremely rearward axle path with that pivot being so high? Its basically a single pivot i think.

Still looks amazing though! The aesthetic has the headtube of a Honda, the curvature of a Lappiere, the basket of a Glory, and completed with a bit of Trek and even a hint of Evil form language.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Rad pic of the frame. Makes me wonder though, wouldnt that thing have an extremely rearward axle path with that pivot being so high? Its basically a single pivot i think.
Yes it will. But thats not a bad thing really. Helps soak up the bumps better and your wheelbase grows when you are bottomed out, adding stability.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Agreed 100%. I seriously looked at ordering a Lahar for all the reasons you did (glad I did not in hindsite). The couple of times I have seen your bike in person, it reminds me of how cool that frame truely is and how that general design could be developed into somenting that could make a real impact on the DH bike world.
If these guys manage to get a real company up and going...this thing would certainly be on the very short list for the next frame.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The only thing this project is missing is a split pivot, with the brake mounted on the lower member.
Please be joking. Mounting the pivot around the axle is a big unnecessary hassle.
The rear wheel mount can be more rigid with less material AND you can use appropriate size bearings for the rear pivot if you forgo the whole thing.
What does it gain besides a slightly cleaner look?

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
This thing is looking great! The high pivot is great (better than limitations on gboxx imo) the only thing that isn't perfect is the weight of the alfine up high and i think it's gear spacing isn't quite as nice as a small road cluster, not too bad though and maybe eventually it could be modified if it needed I spose..
The boys over the ditch make some nice bikes that are outside the square, stay tuned though kiwi's! Australia is planning an counter strike ;)

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Please be joking. Mounting the pivot around the axle is a big unnecessary hassle.
The rear wheel mount can be more rigid with less material AND you can use appropriate size bearings for the rear pivot if you forgo the whole thing.
What does it gain besides a slightly cleaner look?
It would be an inverted split pivot. By mounting the brake on the other member, it would somewhat isolate the suspension from braking forces.

It would give almost the same effect as a floating brake, without needing a floater.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Shimano's site says the Alfine hub is equivilent to a 12-34 tooth cogset on the back. Not ideal but doable. I think with being able to shift while coasting and dumping gears and not having to worry about having a smooth cadence its probably not so bad. I have no idea how the gearing is affected by the actual driving gears though, chainring looks pretty small (which is sweet for ground clearance)

High pivot definitely has its advantages, I'm curious how the brake jack/squat is though? I am picturing the seat stay wanting to go flying upwards which would compress the shock.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I thought I read that the internals were modified to give a closer ratio
What I took from talking to Dodzy about it earlier in the year is that they intended for the hub to stay stock standard so that in 5 years time, if the hub crapped itself you could just get your shop to order a new one and it will bolt straight in.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I am really digging the look of the steel prototype. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick the Al. version out of bed. There is just something about the longer lines and sharper angles of the steel one. Would be cool if they could lighten that up and give the option to buy steel or aluminum frames.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just hope it makes it to market....taking fooooooooorever. much like the corsair bikes...two years of hype and then a relative letdown after they finally, slowly, start to be released.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I am really digging the look of the steel prototype. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick the Al. version out of bed. There is just something about the longer lines and sharper angles of the steel one. Would be cool if they could lighten that up and give the option to buy steel or aluminum frames.
i agree. i'm a big fan of straight skinny tubes. a nice counterpoint to the current tortured tube noodly aesthetic. would love to see more steel utilization & tubing development (ie, trick lightweight stuff like supertherm). an alternative to disposable popcan alu frames.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
You know you're going to trade the Karp for a Superco........so leave these boys alone.

J

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
You know you're going to trade the Karp for a Superco........so leave these boys alone.

J
Ha-Ha. We'll see. The Superco is nothing more than a wet dream at the moment. Once it goes into production, then I can think about trading. However, I have a fail proof plan so I can keep the Disco and buy the Superco and the Zerode.......I'm going to win the lottery this weekend!!!:thumb: