Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The Zerode uses the 8spd hub doesn't it, I don't think the 11spd one is available yet?

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Alfine11 was officially released and maybe is to be spread to the shops soon as there are some discounts on older Alfine8. On CRC it's for 250eur which is crazy cheap against almost 1000eur Speedhub. So, for DH application it's a wise decision.
However, on AM/FR bike the Speedhub has no competition in my eyes.

deadahmed

Chimp
Jan 26, 2011
where are you from? what are they riding?...
It's not important, as for what they're riding (ridden) - nothing special, mainly old models of big hit and demo. And I'm sorry but can't provide a pics

In fact someone from our community suggested these forums for good advices in it about dh/fr frames. At the moment I'm riding slightly modified single-pivot noname cr-mo frame and wanna go to something better (but not for my savings) :thumb: Can you add some suggestion about what is the maximum travel for the rear shock of the Zerode's frame? :confused:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I didn't think so. The 8 speed was lighter by a smidge I thought, the 11 even lighter still. Might be wrong.
I was under the impression that the alfine was something like 2/3 the weight of the rohloff. The new 11spd is lighter than the 8
The Zerode uses the 8spd hub doesn't it, I don't think the 11spd one is available yet?
the 11spd is available, from what I can see.
Alfine11 was officially released and maybe is to be spread to the shops soon as there are some discounts on older Alfine8. On CRC it's for 250eur which is crazy cheap against almost 1000eur Speedhub. So, for DH application it's a wise decision.
However, on AM/FR bike the Speedhub has no competition in my eyes.
The 8 speed uses older grease style internals, the new 11speed uses an oil bath and requires fewer (ie longer) service intervals. 11speeds are hardly necessary for DH, but why not, when you get a lighter more durable hub with a better shifter...outside of cost...

It will be interesting to see how the 11speed holds up in the real world. Again, shimano is using similar internals to rohloff so I wonder if we'll see the same strength. This is an entirely different conversation though, as either will likely be fine for DH level loads.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Surely, Zerode is heading to DH race events but you can make smart frame chasis that turns from DH to FR rig by change of flip-chips and front fork. One frame being offered to two segments of the market. You would just choose "DH package" or "FR package". The very important thing in this is the way they mount gearbox to the mainframe. You can swap Alfine and Speedhub (with threaded axle). If I am not blind :D.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Well, now we know how low we COULD get the weight... Would run a more durable set of rims and different rear shock for sure if it were me.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
That is a good build there. I would be curious to know what it tips the scales at.

NWS

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
The one think I'm suspicious of in the Zerode bike is the way the shock's piggyback is precisely positioned for a maximum bashing by rocks, logs, ledges, etc. With all the aftermarket parts available to protect chainrings from such abuse, it seems unwise to remove the chainring and put something more expensive there instead.

I'm really digging the drivetrain and the high swingarm pivot though. And the fact that they call it a "chassis" instead of a "frame." :)

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
The one think I'm suspicious of in the Zerode bike is the way the shock's piggyback is precisely positioned for a maximum bashing by rocks, logs, ledges, etc. With all the aftermarket parts available to protect chainrings from such abuse, it seems unwise to remove the chainring and put something more expensive there instead.
could always just build a little guard for it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

I'm really digging the drivetrain and the high swingarm pivot though. And the fact that they call it a "chassis" instead of a "frame." :)
It pays to read threads before posting, to save a topic that's been discussed already.
Should have a Zerode at work in a couple of weeks, pretty stoked.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
radness! you in line to buy one? is there are confirmed msrp?
I can't afford to buy one myself dangit. Love my Katipo, but if I sold that, I'd be all over a Zerode. Might not be able to help myself when one gets to work. It's going to be a demo bike so I'll get to ride the hell out of it anyway :D:

$4650 NZD/$3535.62USD/$3498.32CDN according to their site

edit: a 74.5* HA seems pretty steep :rolleyes:
That's the price I got. Head angle 64.5, hope it wasn't me that mentioned 74.5:(

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the proprietary gearhub ring is a little disappointing, imo - would rather see a carrier onto which you could bolt on a standard chainring. though the ring is going to last a good long time, i think minimizing the number of proprietary wearing bits is important in selling a new concept like this.

it IS very nicely implemented, however.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Rubbish!

You forgot many factors. I have included them below. YOU DON'T KNOW ANY SCIENCES.

View attachment 103353
Just reading through this thread I saw this and laughed so unbelievably hard. Freakin' priceless. This image should be made into a T-shirt. My son was just diagnosed with Autism yesterday and my work building caught on fire today so I really needed a good laugh! Thanks!!

Last edited:

rbx

Monkey
Zerode suspension explanation/theory of why its design is neutral to "bob" casts a doubt in my mind...:think:

Its like they calculated all of their moments about the main pivot and dont use the anti-squat gorund reaction method...
:think:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what's the anti-squat ground reaction theory?

if it's the concept that a riders weight moves back like on a car or motorcycle, then I believe that's a load of horse sh.t, as no one besides hybrid city bike riders sits in their seat so much that they lean back as they accelerate. Think about it. You lean forward as you pedal. That shift of weight is small to begin with and compensated by a rider repositioning themselves. I would love to see some evidence besides animated gifs on a certain someones websites proving to the contrary.

If it's that a riders weight/pedaling force compresses a suspension as a secondary reaction to turning the pedals, then yeah, that's where it's at.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
what's the anti-squat ground reaction theory?

if it's the concept that a riders weight moves back like on a car or motorcycle, then I believe that's a load of horse sh.t, as no one besides hybrid city bike riders sits in their seat so much that they lean back as they accelerate. Think about it. You lean forward as you pedal. That shift of weight is small to begin with and compensated by a rider repositioning themselves. I would love to see some evidence besides animated gifs on a certain someones websites proving to the contrary.

If it's that a riders weight/pedaling force compresses a suspension as a secondary reaction to turning the pedals, then yeah, that's where it's at.
Yeah. I tend to lean closer to the bars when I start mashing. I doubt the suspension action moves my weight back more than I do forward.