Quantcast

Super D in the East?

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Seems like this discipline hasn't quite caught on in the east like it has in the west. Any ideas? Why doesn't Snowshoe host Super D's with their DH race weekend? Why doesn't the Gravity East Series have ANY Super D's?

The only one I can find is the Nat'l Champs in VT...anyone know of more?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Massanutten in Harrisonburg, VA had one last year a week or so after the DH race. It was on some epic trail fully IMBA-ized and supposedly stupid retardo fun.

Oh...and because unlike out West, finding a road to the top of some mountain that is more than 1000 feet of elevation that isn't either National Forest land or by some golf course community, is pretty much near impossible.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Massanutten in Harrisonburg, VA had one last year a week or so after the DH race. It was on some epic trail fully IMBA-ized and supposedly stupid retardo fun.

Oh...and because unlike out West, finding a road to the top of some mountain that is more than 1000 feet of elevation that isn't either National Forest land or by some golf course community, is pretty much near impossible.
That's BS dude, there are WAY more lift-accessed resorts in the east than the west.

Thanks for the great info so far, didn't know about any of those...keep 'em coming! I'm stuck in Ohio for another 2 summers so any info I can get the better.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
There could be a good 30 minute one in Huntsville, AL. I don't know the first thing about organizing a race though so it would be a bootlegger.

Start at the top on the Monte Sano trails and then hop onto the Land Trust down to the bottom of the mountain. The only significant climb is 0.3 miles and about 100' elevation on the road. About 1000' of elevation change. I'm not sure on the mileage, maybe 6 miles but could be longer if some smooth and fast flat single track was added to the top. I don't know if it would be the best trail in the east for it, but it would be fun.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
That's BS dude, there are WAY more lift-accessed resorts in the east than the west.

Thanks for the great info so far, didn't know about any of those...keep 'em coming! I'm stuck in Ohio for another 2 summers so any info I can get the better.

I have a hard time believe that there are more Eastern ski resorts than in Colorado and Utah alone.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I have a hard time believe that there are more Eastern ski resorts than in Colorado and Utah alone.
Believe it...although slowly resorts in the west are slowly catching on. We're talking bike-accessed lifts here, not ski.

Utah: Brian Head, Deer Valley, Wolf Mountain (3 - and Wolf was new last year)
Colorado: Keystone, Sol Vista, Silverton, Vail (4 - and Sol Vista was new last year)

Total: 6 (but really 5 since Silverton doesn't really do it any more)

There are a couple others that allow bikes on the lifts, but just aren't good areas for downhilling, like Breckenridge or Park City.

VT/NY/NJ/MD/WV have way more than 4-5 DH-friendly ski resorts, believe me.

Whiteface Super D sounds good...!

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
East:
Diablo, Plattekill, Mt. Snow, Highland, Killington, Whiteface, Bolton Valley, Sugarbush opened last year, Jiminy Peak, Attitast, and thats just New England

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Killington could have some really good SD racing. The current trail network has many runs that would be 7 minutes or more long. A few options could be in the 10 minute range. All that and a high speed gondola that can do 4 bikes and 6 people per chair.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Killington needs to take a step towards becoming a real serious DH mountain, like they have awesome trails as is, but theres so much potential for that mountain.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
The problem is the same as Mt Snow. It is in the State Park so they to make a single trail there is endless bureaucracy and they can't actually build any features.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
The problem is the same as Mt Snow. It is in the State Park so they to make a single trail there is endless bureaucracy and they can't actually build any features.

It can be done! Snowshoe is in a national forest and managed to work around/with the bureaucratic process of the forest service. It did involve several lengthy environmental studies, impact studies, and habitat studies regarding two very unique species of animals that call that area home. It took a lot of time, but some very driven individuals that wouldn't take "no" for an answer made it happen.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
It can be done! Snowshoe is in a national forest and managed to work around/with the bureaucratic process of the forest service. It did involve several lengthy environmental studies, impact studies, and habitat studies regarding two very unique species of animals that call that area home. It took a lot of time, but some very driven individuals that wouldn't take "no" for an answer made it happen.
that's hilarious! What kind of crap study did they do to get this event approved at Snowshoe? :rofl:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Killington needs to take a step towards becoming a real serious DH mountain, like they have awesome trails as is, but theres so much potential for that mountain.
They've taken this step - They got set up as an official Kona Bike park last season, and they're having John Cowan come in this year to design and build a jump and skills park.

I visited Killington last year for the first time in 2 or 3 seasons, and the progress they had made was incredible. Can't wait to see how good that place gets in the next year or so.

--JP

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
You guys in the Northeast got it so easy you have no idea. Move to NC and try to find a lift that's on in the summer.
On the flipside, try to find ANY trail up here that's not covered in snow and/or deep mud from December through April . . .

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
that's hilarious! What kind of crap study did they do to get this event approved at Snowshoe? :rofl:

I think they are more concerned with the upper parts of the mountain than what goes on in the base area. I know that Mount Snow closes the top part of the mountain until i think June or July due to bird nesting or some BS like that.

Killington is heading in the right direction for sure; not a lot of man made features, just long, solid, natural runs. They have everything they need including existing trails to run a really long and fun super D and DH IMO.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I went to Killington last year not expecting much and was impressed. Had a great time and the trails were plenty long enough. I think they have like 1,700 feet of vertical and size does matter!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
On the flipside, try to find ANY trail up here that's not covered in snow and/or deep mud from December through April . . .
tradeoff:
Southeast
XC and epic riding in Pisgah year round here...drive 6-12 hours every weekend during the summer to get your lift access on.

Northeast
Mud & Snow for 4 months...8 months of lift accessed bliss in every direction.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Northeast
...8 months of lift accessed bliss in every direction.
Not so fast there! Yes, there are something like 15 lift-accessed bike parks in the area, but most don't open until the beginning of June or later and close by the end of September. So it's more like 4 months of lift-serviced DH bliss book-ended by 2 months of XC on either side, and then 4 months of shoveling this white sh!t off my deck. Thank god for snowboards.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I went to Killington last year not expecting much and was impressed.
Same here. I was kind of dreading the Killington stop on our DH road trip last summer and was very pleasantly surprised.

Still though, I'd take your trails at Whiteface over the stuff at Killington anyday. Great work over there! :thumb:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I was disappointed Killington didn't have the jump park this year, but w/e the trails there are still sick. When I said becoming "serious" I meant as in getting their name out and possibly hosting a series, maybe put in a bid for a WC (which it seems they are more than capable of doing i.e. lodging, trails, etc)

oh and jersey still counts as new england

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD

I'm sure you've heard of the saying before Butch, but "money talks!" I can tell you first hand, as I am more into moto than mtb's, that moto brings in more tangibles than any mtb event can ever promise.....not just in fees and other monies, but in the intangibles like media/press coverage.

Actually, from what I understand, the GNCC crew (Racer Productions) had been pushing for it for quite a while and when all parties finally came together they were able to make things happen.....and rather quickly I might add! When you get several powerful people behind something, it's far easier than a few guys (ie, a few Snowshoe employees) trying to make something happen.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I was disappointed Killington didn't have the jump park this year, but w/e the trails there are still sick. When I said becoming "serious" I meant as in getting their name out and possibly hosting a series, maybe put in a bid for a WC (which it seems they are more than capable of doing i.e. lodging, trails, etc)

oh and jersey still counts as new england
No, it does not.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Same here. I was kind of dreading the Killington stop on our DH road trip last summer and was very pleasantly surprised.

Still though, I'd take your trails at Whiteface over the stuff at Killington anyday. Great work over there! :thumb:
Thank you. I love our trails at Whiteface. We certainly have the tech, steepness, length and a few sick speed sections. But I do like riding at as many different places as I can. What was fun for me at kIllington was the single-track was faster than I am used to. A bit straighter than ours. At my level it was fun going faster in the woods.