Quantcast

Super D or Downhill Race@ Paris (which would you prefer?)

What race format would you prefer?

• Downhill Hill Race ( same course as last year )

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Super D (longer course w/ some climbs)

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Super D or Downhill Race@ Paris (which would you prefer?)
Here's a Question for you

If you had to choose one what Kind of race would you like to do at Paris Mountain

a Short Downhill like Last Years Event?

or a Super D Race starting from the Same spot as the DH course down Sulphur Springs > Mountain Creek to the Amphitheater ?

same thread on the XC purist site

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Here is my cross post from the pure soul site:

Hey Brado,
I agree with you on the logistics. Last year race was about as big as it need to get with the current parking.
Now as far as the courses go, even last year, just talking to groups of Dhers who have ridden Paris, we all agreed that you guys already have a perfect ready made Super D course.
Start at the top of the Dh course and end at the amphitheater.
Awesome course, and a perfect finish area for everybody to hang out in.
I would love to do it.

That said, despite that a Super D race SHOULD bring out more numbers, you will probaly have a bigger turnout with a regular Dh race. That seems to be the case with other venues around here that have tried the same thing.
If I had my pick, I would love to have both, but I know that is pushing things.
If the park was not closed on Saturday, you could have a Super D on Saturday and a DH race on Sunday. But on that I will just wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one gets filled.
Hit me up if I can help you guys any or if you need anymore suggestions.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
My thoughts...

Super D race on the course mentioned...

DH race starting at the Upper parking lot, going down to the right(I dont remember the names of the trails), passed Kanuga then veer off to right again onto the lesser used trail that ends up on the road that is often closed, but climbs back up to the Upper Parking lot.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
I agree w/ Jermey on the Super D idea and it would be cool for it to end at the Amplitheater. I also have to agree if it could turn into a 2 day event that would be Great and I think the turn out would be huge. Please let me know if there is anything I could do to help.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
After the success of the DH race this past year you guys are thinking about getting rid of it? Although I agree a Super D would be fun, my 1st run in the DH race felt like a freakin' world cup because there were so many people lined up the side of the course cheering.

Either way I'll attend but the DH race got my vote.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
if you go super D or DH in that course, either way a XC rider will beat u all gravity guys:bonk:, like last year:rant:, if you dont make a gnarly rock garden or some 4 or 5 feet drops or a wall ride or a gap jump like in Clemson, all XC guys are going to make u guys look like fools.:monkey: Im not against XC riders but if u are making a gravity event make a real course, dont make a DH race on a super D course.
you guys are making a very good work putting all this race series together:cheers::cheers: but if you are not doing something for just DH'ers then just go for the Super D, I think super D is for XC riders and gravity riders who pedal a lot :biggrin:. :cheers:

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
if you go super D or DH in that course, either way a XC rider will beat u all gravity guys:bonk:, like last year:rant:, if you dont make a gnarly rock garden or some 4 or 5 feet drops or a wall ride or a gap jump like in Clemson, all XC guys are going to make u guys look like fools.:monkey: Im not against XC riders but if u are making a gravity event make a real course, dont make a DH race on a super D course.
you guys are making a very good work putting all this race series together:cheers::cheers: but if you are not doing something for just DH'ers then just go for the Super D, I think super D is for XC riders and gravity riders who pedal a lot :biggrin:. :cheers:
we wouldn't want more of this? :biggrin:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Didn't see any xc weenies in the top 10 elite...

My vote goes to super D from the firetower to the lake via kanuga. Slalom bikes for the win.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I completely agree with the parking problems, but it will always be that way ether event Super D or DH. There are reasons I wanted to do the DH over the Super D last year and is way too much to talk about on this Thread. I personally would like to see booth events happen this year on the same weekend. The problem is the Rangers would like to Cap the field at 100 racers again and we would need to open up Saturday for the event. We all need to meet with them on this Brad. Let’s set a meeting date and go over things.

It we were to do both on a one day event everyone would only get one run each.

Jeremy is right if we were to do only a Super D (Yes it would be fun), but we may not get as many DHers due to a any half way go XCer could Smoke most DHers on that Super D run even with the crazy DH run in the start.

My vote is stay with the DH race and improve it!!!! It was fun for all and a lot would like to do it again next year. If anything have two different Race weekends for a Super D and then the End of the Year DH race. There is a lot we need to go over before we can say yes to ether one right now.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
You evidently are an xc rider? I know who the DH guys are and top 10 Elite were the Southeast' top Gravity guys.
I don't like Super D but, that's just my opinion, and like buttholes well you know....
Most people carry them with.

I thought the DH race was one of the best put on events in the SE in a while.
Guess that would hold true either way, but I think there are enough XC related events in the SE already.
Super D's are just a short technical XC time trial.

WE DHers need all the races we can get! Not only to ride our DH bikes without traveling 6+ hours but,
to grow the scene up to where more legit DH races are warranted.
I saw a lot of faces I didn't know so that means the race brought in new meat to the DH scene.
The course was probably one of the most legit SMALL courses the SE has seen in many moons!
Bring it back just the same with another shuttle and Just get permission to park on the side of the road?

Last edited:

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
You evidently are an xc rider? I know who the DH guys are and top 10 Elite were the Southeast' top Gravity guys.
I don't like Super D but, that's just my opinion, and like buttholes well you know....
Most people carry them with.

I thought the DH race was one of the best put on events in the SE in a while.
Guess that would hold true either way, but I think there are enough XC related events in the SE already.
Super D's are just a technical XC time trial.
WE DHers need all the races we can get! I saw a lot of faces I didn't know
so that means the race brought in new meat to the DH scene.
The course was probably one of the most legit SMALL courses the SE has seen in many moons! Bring it back just the same with another shuttle and
permission to park on the side of the road?
so please just repeat as last year!
you got all wrong:crazy:, me a XC rider? jajajajaja I dont even have a XC bike, I just build a full DH bike, and I always had a freeride bike now I got a Bottlerocket and a Blindside, so please do the DH but just on a serious DH course, where no XC rider can get their skinny carbon bikes down the same trail where a 40pound Dh bike just went down. :banghead:
:cheers:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yes, I agree I would like to see Beech, Sugar, Windrock and so on and on!
But, I rode a full on Dh bike and would not have traded it in for an xc bike!
If you haul azz then you'll need a dh related bike to do well. The last section
with the small climb was the only pedaling section-so that 10 yards was
the only advantage to a small bike or pedaling superiority! The rest of the
course was only a couple pedals. I would like to see the race done early
instead of late as a warmup for the as you put it "Real" Dh races.

Last edited: