Quantcast

Super fun D.C. ride

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Spent about 3.5 hours ridding all over Washington D.C. today. Colder'n heck, but had a blast with the stoplight sprints, dodging tour busses, making nice with Park Police to let me walk my bike through some of the memorials. D.C. is a pretty awesome city though I stuck mainly to the Governmental parts and Georgetown. Urban road riding is fun. Especially on a good bike like my Roubaix!

BTW, today is the 60th anniversary of the landing at Iwo Jima. I was lucky enough to catch cerrimonies at both the Iwo memorial and the WWII memorial. Had a chance to thank a couple of vets, stoked.

Some pretty heady stuff in this town. I'd never been here before and I think I could spend a week checking things out here. I think I got the most out of the inscriptions in the Lincoln and Jefferson memorial, and the stuff written in the WWII memorial. Awe inspiring stuff.

J

JRB

I really dig DC. They are doing some huge Iwo Jima reenactment in the TX hill country today. I read about it in the paper. Sounds like a good day in DC.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
It was here some of the stuff that moved me most.

THOMAS JEFFERSON MEMORIAL

STATUE CHAMBER INSCRIPTIONS

I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

Taken from a letter to Dr. Benjamin Rush, September 23, 1800.

We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men. We...solemnly publish and declare, that these colonies are and of right ought to be free and independent states...And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.

Taken from the Declaration of Independence, 1776.

Almighty God hath created the mind free…All attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens…are a departure from the plan of the Holy Author of our religion…No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship or ministry or shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion. I know but one code of morality for men whether acting singly or collectively.

Taken from A Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom, 1777. The last sentence is taken from a letter to James Madison, August 28, 1789.

God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever. Commerce between master and slave is despotism. Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than these people are to be free. Establish the law for educating the common people. This it is the business of the state to effect and on a general plan.

I am certainly not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cool pics.

The best club that I have been to was at 930 F Street.

I wonder what is there now.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
McGRP01 said:
I was in D.C. once...in 11th grade. This is all I remember of that trip.
Truly moving.
Yea DC has changed alot in the past couple of years with the hype of sercurity and stuff. But the new WW2 memorial is very touching. I live about 30 minutes from DC so we have been on field trips down there for school to either one of the many museum or to visit the memorials.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Damn True said:
BTW, today is the 60th anniversary of the landing at Iwo Jima. I was lucky enough to catch cerrimonies at both the Iwo memorial and the WWII memorial. Had a chance to thank a couple of vets, stoked.

You might've seen me there then, I was physical security there. You couldn't miss me, the LCPL in the dress blues.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea i love that stuff. my company made a bunch of clothes and hats for a couple of the speakers for that. i wish i could have made more....stupid robbers.....anyway i need to get back down there. gotta get the balls to do that scary ass stair gap again.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Go do a ride on the C&O canal, you'll dig it and it's road bike friendly (a little rough for some people as you go further out), beautiful scenery along the Potomac river and you can access it from Georgetown in DC.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
D.C. also has some very nice but very illegal mountain biking. Poached trails in the city are where I learned to ride. Still go back and ride them when I'm home on breaks. I would stay away from rock creek park in general (lots of police) but northwest has a trail network that connects AU with georgetown and macarthur. You just have to turn and hammer the other way if you spot anyone in a uniform. it actually makes things more exciting because you are almost certainly faster and more maneuverable than they are (unless the bust out the motorcycles and horses to chase you down). I have never had a real confrontation with the police, but the occasional dickhead hiker has called them on me and I had to make a hasty exit. Most of the trails are completely deserted and you can actually get up some speed. Really the only way these trails get any maintainence (DC government is content to watch them grow over and get covered by fallen trees) is from concerned hikers and bikers, so if you ride them, clean them up a little and appease the illegal trail gods.