Quantcast

Super T vs. Junior T... at Whister

stinkyblast

Chimp
Jan 31, 2004
B'ham
i have a question that i know someone will be able to answer... i just went up to Whister, great riding... but pretty rough. I have a '03 jr. t on a hardtail. Ive always heard that the super t is trail sensitive per the valving than a jr. t. I THOUGHT that the jr t. did pretty well, didnt make my arms tired from riding hard dh (riding around near B'ham), until yesterday at Whister. how much improvement would i see upgrading, or is it just too damn rough up there?

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i don't think it would make that much of a difference... my friend has a shiver and his arms are shot after the first day at whistler. i have a jr t too and its pretty good, definitely a little underrated

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
My arms and hands got tired riding whistler on a kona stab with a montster t on the front, so upgrading from a junior t to a super t shouldn't make a difference in that department. I just put a junior t on my hardtail, since i have been riding whistler on it with a blown out single crown i am expecting to be able to get a few more runs out of the arms and hands next time due to the fork upgrade. we'll see though.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I've ridden bad forks and I've ridden good forks at Whistler. While you will get tired either way, the Super T will keep you under control better and you will fatigue less over time. I haven't ridden a Jr. T, but I do ride a Super T, and it's pretty smooth (but not as smooth as a Monster/Shiver)... those with bigger forks can ride harder, longer and faster with equal arm strength. So yes, you can ride Whistler with a Jr. T, you'll just have more fun with a better valved fork.
Oh, and where did you find "hard DH" in Bellingham? :think:

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
riding a super t will be a big improvement from the junior t. I'm riding an identiti hardtail with a super t up front, and it rocks. I love it. I would chose the valving in the super t over the junior t anyday. plus you can actually adjust the dampening wich will help alot too. true enough, the junior t isn't bad. its a good beginer's fork. but you will notice a big difference going to the super t.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
You can adjust the damping (rebound) in a Junior T too, it's internal, and really annoying for riding different locations as you have to disassemble your fork (partially) just to ride Whistler versus the shore versus DH racing.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
as far as arm fatigue goes, it may not be all about the fork, you might want to reconsider the position of your brake levers

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I dunno, it seems like with just one adjustable valve and one simple valve r and C or vice versa, you can use different oil (which you should be changing anyhow) and get equal results to a fork with more adjustability. However, I'll make a wager that a super t, even with identical stantions and sliders has better seals/bearings. And I don't even know anything about the cartrideges inside. I wish I knew more tech stuff about forks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you can't make a junior perform like a super just with an oil weight change. this is because the valving differs not only in adjustability but in its characteristics. in particular the junior t is widely reported to "spike" on repeated high speed hits. the super t does not do this, even when set up with much slower damping.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
I think that no matter what, a day at Whistler puts everybody's hands in jeopardy of early arthritis. I had an 03' Super T in May, got a Dorado for June and part of July, picked up a Slider for last two weeks of July, and now I'm running an 04 Super T. My buddy runs a Shiver 04'(had an 04' Jr-t) and to be honest, out of all those forks, I like the new Super T the best. But back to my original point, unless you ride Whistler on a daily basis, your fingers are going to feel cramped like a ma-fa-kaw no matter what if you put a full day of chargin' in, no matter how good your fork, body, or skill is.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Oh and the Jr-t and Super T feel somewhat the same to me except you can dial in the rebound better on a Super T. I'd say if your doing DH, my other buddies Monster T has felt the best and I'd love to run one if I did strictly DH only. New forks are out or soon to be out so I'd hold off and see what people are sprayin' about them next spring. For me, that new Fox looks friggin' killa, I'm sure it's out of my pocket book range though...

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
freeridekid said:
i don't think it would make that much of a difference... my friend has a shiver and his arms are shot after the first day at whistler. i have a jr t too and its pretty good, definitely a little underrated
too follow this statement up, i wen to whistler this summer and the jr. t was fine on everything except the real high speed sections where i could definitely feel the harsh spiking. and my hands were definitely sore after each day. for most of the technical trails though, the fork works fine

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
WARider said:
I think that no matter what, a day at Whistler puts everybody's hands in jeopardy of early arthritis. I had an 03' Super T in May, got a Dorado for June and part of July, picked up a Slider for last two weeks of July, and now I'm running an 04 Super T. My buddy runs a Shiver 04'(had an 04' Jr-t) and to be honest, out of all those forks, I like the new Super T the best. But back to my original point, unless you ride Whistler on a daily basis, your fingers are going to feel cramped like a ma-fa-kaw no matter what if you put a full day of chargin' in, no matter how good your fork, body, or skill is.
Even that doesn't help. I put in tonnes of time on the mountain and at times feel it inmy hands. Just the nature ofthe game :)

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
Since I only have the hardtail, I just upgraded to an 03 Jr T from a Z-1 Wedge and the feel is amazing! I am far from a good rider and have never been on a bike with a Super T or Shiver...for now the Jr T is perfect.

fr-rider

Monkey
Aug 14, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
stinkyblast said:
i have a question that i know someone will be able to answer... i just went up to Whister, great riding... but pretty rough. I have a '03 jr. t on a hardtail. Ive always heard that the super t is trail sensitive per the valving than a jr. t. I THOUGHT that the jr t. did pretty well, didnt make my arms tired from riding hard dh (riding around near B'ham), until yesterday at Whister. how much improvement would i see upgrading, or is it just too damn rough up there?
Upgrading...are you talking about buying a Super T cartridge or a new fork???