Quantcast

Super Unleaded Gas is $3.05/gal here...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Regular can be had for $2.75 but it's going up a nickle a day seems like...

Makes commuting to work via bike pretty attractive!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
all 3 grades are over $3 here, and I don't think we are even that bad compare to other markets - especially major markets.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oil is trading over $70/barrel at the moment... will it reach $100 before it comes down?

That will make for $5/gal gas at the pump.

At what point will you stop driving?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
$3.19/gal for 87 octane at the Chevron in Goleta....yikes.
Are we gonna see $4/gal this summer? I'm thinking so.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I was delivering some furniture to the wife (lives in TX b/c of a great job opportunity).
Filled up Thursday morning - $2.98 for 87octane in CA
Filled up in Arizona - $2.65
About the same price (within 5 to 10 cents) the rest of the way to TX
Coming back - 2.85 in TX
About the same or just a bit less until within 30 miles of CA - $3.02
Last fill up before home $3.08

Still cost less than a plane ticket (flights used to be about $218, now $270 ish), and i got stuff out of storage... so it was worth it, but damn!

N8 said:
At what point will you stop driving?
Dusting off the single speed tonight... too bad that there are no showers here at work - I'll feel sorry for my co-workers.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
caboverpete said:
its 2.65 here right now... im sure it will be 3 by the time i start my new job in 2 weeks, which is a 50 mile commute each way.
I've been doing a 60 mile commute each way for over a year and a half.

Quit that job right now, you will go insane.

H8R said:
I've been doing a 60 mile commute each way for over a year and a half.

Quit that job right now, you will go insane.
haha... trust me 2 hours on the road a day will be cake after the last 3 years of mind numbing bordem for 8 hours a day I have been enduring. I only plan on commuting until we sell our house and find one closer.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Funny, I have been doing road loops around work, and I have only taken the train twice in the last 10 days.

I guess that will change...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When I arrived in NZ Diesel was 74c a litre, now (2 years later) it is $1.23. Regular was $1.20ish and now is $1.64. I can't remember what premium is. (Reg = 91, Premium = 97)

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
the cheapest here in south OC is 2.95 and most of it is 3.07, I was gunna go jumping in north OC and get fill up my tank and 1 or 2, 5gal. cans for 2.74

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so the hurricanes take out most of the US oil production...prices soar to $3/ gal. Iran threatens to limit flow...their whopping 5% of the world's production...and again, prices soar to $3. i don't get it. especially since US production is running strong. i wonder what gas would be at had the hurricanes not hit. sure would be nice to see those $1.-- prices, again.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
By 2010 we'll be paying $7/gal for gas.

It will mean the end of civilization as we know it.

Start working on your MadMax costume now.

Mike

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Dartman said:
By 2010 we'll be paying $7/gal for gas.

It will mean the end of civilization as we know it.

Start working on your MadMax costume now.

Mike
but by then, we'll all be paying off $40,000 hybrids, instead of $40,000 SUVs, so the $7/gal will equal a lot more mileage.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
the Inbred said:
but by then, we'll all be paying off $40,000 hybrids, instead of $40,000 SUVs, so the $7/gal will equal a lot more mileage.
at 7 bucks per gallon, you´d be at the same position some europeans are now, and not that far from australians.

while they dont buy monstrous suvs and tend to buy smaller more gas efficient cars; mad max warriors and the end of the world are still far from $7/gal gas.

i believe people in the US will not start to make serious adjustments in their driving/transportation habits and truck purchases until gas hits $8/gallon.
until then, it´d a lot of bluffing but no real world changes in consumer´s habits.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think $10.00 / gallon is the psychological barrier to break

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ALEXIS_DH said:
at 7 bucks per gallon, you´d be at the same position some europeans are now, and not that far from australians.

while they dont buy monstrous suvs and tend to buy smaller more gas efficient cars; mad max warriors and the end of the world are still far from $7/gal gas.

i believe people in the US will not start to make serious adjustments in their driving/transportation habits and truck purchases until gas hits $8/gallon.
until then, it´d a lot of bluffing but no real world changes in consumer´s habits.
no sh!t...the average american kid wants some truck or SUV or muscle car to drive around, and the cheap gas to propel it is a birthright.

check around europe to see what the peer group drives (if they even own a car...)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
In the US there was actually an increase in sales of smaller more fuel economic cars and a decrease in big engined car sales during the last little oil peak. I think that is a good sign. It's probably happening again.

The real problem is that so many people still equate their (and other people's) car with their self image. People take it far too seriously.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
narlus said:
check around europe to see what the peer group drives (if they even own a car...)
I've never owned a petrol car with an engine bigger than 1.4 litres. My diesel now is a 2.7 so it costs me the best part of NZ$90 to fill up these days. That lasts me 2 weeks of commuting, so not too bad, but it used to cost $60.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
im sort of glad that gas prices are increasing a little. this will give my parents a little more incentive for me to bike to work every so often this summer. i dont think they would be too happy with me riding at least 20 miles around 8:30 every night though. one can only hope.

aside from that, im not liking how gas prices are being raised ever so slightly so that the public does not realize how high gas prices are getting until they are really high. i think the last time i heard on the news about high gas prices was just after katrina and i believe prices are in that range once again and i havent heard a thing.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Anyone see the movie The End of Suburbia? Pretty grim and it comes at you quickly, but it tells the truth.... We need to start changing everyday life.

EDIT: I heard about prices on the news today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gnurider1080 said:
aside from that, im not liking how gas prices are being raised ever so slightly so that the public does not realize how high gas prices are getting until they are really high. i think the last time i heard on the news about high gas prices was just after katrina and i believe prices are in that range once again and i havent heard a thing.
uh, i don't have a tv, but i've seen plenty on news.google.com (and today on cnn as i studied in a lounge with it blasting) on the gas prices... one cnn show had a segment about 15 min on the issue.

L

luelling

I hope the government raises taxes to bring the price to $5.00 a gallon. This would help stop the huge demand for consumption here....and it sure wouldn't bother me :) I ride everywhere and pretty much only drive to races. Raising taxes would also force the publice and car manufacturers to focus extremely on alternative fuels. Most of Europe is this way already....our gas prices our low compared to theirs

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Toshi said:
uh, i don't have a tv, but i've seen plenty on news.google.com (and today on cnn as i studied in a lounge with it blasting) on the gas prices... one cnn show had a segment about 15 min on the issue.
well ive only been watching the local news periodically which could probably be why. and i havent seen much in the paper but i just quickly browse everything so i probably missed the articles.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
i feel bad for you lot, honestly. last time i filled up it was at £0.98 a litre - so around $7 a gallon by my calculations.

So in the words of another monkey -"suck it up sister"

By the way, i get 55 miles to the (UK) gallon

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
douglas said:
I saw $3.04 for Reg, but I'm paying $2.25
retail? still? things seemed to have spiked since i got gas two nights ago.

gnurider, as for the gas prices going up and catching everyone off-guard, were the lessons of >$3/gallon lost on everyone last summer?