Quantcast

Superbowl? Nah, SUPERCO SILENCER!!!

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
DO WANT...after riding my sunday around for a couple of lift days, I'm really starting to miss the construction and ride quality of my old link bike. That thing just looks better and better....patience...
Isn't that the truth. Once your spoiled by a steel link bike everything else feels like its missing something

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Isn't that the truth. Once your spoiled by a steel link bike everything else feels like its missing something
Yeah, it's missing about 5# of extra mass! :D

JK, I really love the look of the SuperCo's, but the sizing doesn't sound like it would ever work for me (as if I would ever have the money for one anyways). A beautiful bike regardless.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Huh? You been under a rock? The pics on SuperCo's site show a build that's sub 40.

JK, I really love the look of the SuperCo's, but the sizing doesn't sound like it would ever work for me (as if I would ever have the money for one anyways). A beautiful bike regardless.
To the best of my knowledge, frame sizing has not been announced. ;)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Huh? You been under a rock? The pics on SuperCo's site show a build that's sub 40.
Yeah, but he was referring to the old RL (I presume), and new bikes "missing" something in comparison. Just making a joke, you of all people should understand ;)

jonKranked said:
To the best of my knowledge, frame sizing has not been announced. ;)
I don't remember where, but I thought I had read they were pretty damn short...maybe I'm going crazy though. That's the most likely option! EDIT: was mixing up Superco and Lapierre...

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
"pounds" are units of weight, not mass. they are not the same.

To understand the differences we need to compare a few points:

1) Mass is a measurement of the amount of matter something contains, while Weight is the measurement of the pull of gravity on an object.

2) Mass is measured by using a balance comparing a known amount of matter to an unknown amount of matter. Weight is measured on a scale.

3) The Mass of an object doesn't change when an object's location changes. Weight, on the otherhand does change with location.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The old ones were indeed short, suited better to somebody under 5'11". I was never comfortable on mine, the TT is listed at 22.5" effective, actual was somewhat shorter though, 21.5 if I recall. Taller people have ridden them and still liked the bike, for me it was just uncomfortable. Sizing for the new models will probably depend on demand and availability of the supertherm tubes. I imagine if the stuff is scarce there will be one size: awesome.

As for the 5lb comment, yeah, my new bike is 15 lbs lighter, mostly because of my heavy Huxst0r-p0war build on the old bike (fork shaved 4 lbs or more alone) and my WC esque build on the current one. I would gladly keep the extra 5 lbs for the ride quality that frame gave, but the cornering prowess and fit on the Sunday is superb in comparison. The build quality on the RL was excellent as well, I never feared destroying the pivots as I do with the iron whores. My hope is that the silencer comes out with more modern geometry, including most importantly a roomy TT, and otherwise keeps the aspects of the racelink that made it so great...the suspension. We'll see come whenever.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i think sizing was based on 'what feels good for doc', which is, alas, a bit on the diminutive side. i love the compact aesthetic, but they've been a bit short for we taller guys (yeah they work, but not optimally). hopefully the new frames will be offered in, say, regular & long (or xl) sizes.

not that a new bike is currently in the books, unfortunately. thinking a bit into the future. the fact that there's none out there currently (amongst we commoners) makes me ok with that for the moment though.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
that'll teach you.
Au contraire; pounds are actually a unit of mass!

The pound or pound-mass (abbreviation: lb, lbm, or sometimes in the United States: #) is a unit of mass used in the imperial, United States customary and other systems of measurement.
I had to look it up just to make sure though! :D

Weight is technically a force.

Systems of units of weight (force) and mass have a tangled history, partly because the distinction was not properly understood when many of the units first came into use.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Jesus if you going to all pull someone up on semantics at least get it right. Might be a good idea to start using the metric system boy's so at least you can't confuse pounds and pounds force. Heard of kg and N?

bikemonkey

Chimp
Feb 1, 2008
Santiago, Chile
"The shop crew is immersed in production now that the back-ordered material we'd been waiting for was received. They'll be staying home to continue production on another run of hardtails and the highly anticipated downhill bike."

from superco themselves

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You mean like this:

Head angle: 63.5°
BB: 13.5" (adjustable from eccentric BB, I think its +/- 5/8", but I'm not sure where the 13.5" is reference from)
Chainstay: 16.5"
basically. I could stand a slightly steeper HA, unless it's adjustable. I'm not sure I could ever put a super slack HA to good use, and I'm not certain it's warranted out here on the east coast....just not enough WFO courses. The BB is a little low for me, too, but that is adjustable so it might be just fine in its highest position. I haven't clipped pedals on my Sunday too often, but honestly, I clipped them more on the Racelink with 24" tires. We'll see what the final numbers are like. Again, the limiting factor for me may be the TT length...no figures on that yet. I could get used to a low BB or slack HA, but I was never as comfortable on the RL as I should have been.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
true, but if the thing is completely sorted, why aren't they producing it? It'll probably change and tweak before they actually start rolling.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This is Doc we're talking about :weee:
I guess I don't know him that well....what do you mean?

For pricing, I'm going with the cost of the old frame, plus the cost of the updated tubing. No idea whether people will have to source their own cranks and shock, which will alter the cost of the package I'm sure. I would bet somewhere around 4100 as a package and probably somewhere around 3000 if it's just a frame with no shock or cranks/arms....on that note I hope they scrap the profiles and allow people to use modern two piece cranks or at least the 853 Gusset cranks.

This is based only on what I'm guessing, no word from Superco on pricing so don't know get your panties in a wad.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I guess I don't know him that well....what do you mean?
He's a perfectionist. It will go into production when he decides its ready to be released.

on that note I hope they scrap the profiles and allow people to use modern two piece cranks or at least the 853 Gusset cranks.
Unfortunately no. Because it still uses a jackshaft, it will be require LSD (left side drive) compatible cranks. To the best of my knowledge, there are no standard style mtb cranks (even 2 piece) that are available in this configuration. If there are, I'd love to know.

On the upside, from the pics of the Silencer I have seen, they are using the Tree Splined Sprocket. In the past, all bmx sprockets have had to be bolted to the crank arm in order for them to work. Not so with the Tree sprocket. Instead of using a bolt, there is a center insert on the sprocket that has the same splines as the crank (and the spindle) so you mount it onto your spindle without a fixing bolt. Its a marginally lighter setup, but more importantly it opens up a larger range of BMX cranks, because not all of them were available in LSD configuration.

I think Profile's are still the lightest of the BMX 3pc cranks, but I could be wrong. If there are lighter ones that are 48spline compatible let me know.

This is based only on what I'm guessing, no word from Superco on pricing so don't know get your panties in a wad.
We've got enough time to keep saving our pennies.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The lightest 19mm 48spline cranks I can find are the Gusset Pygmy R 853 cranks. They seem to be hard to find and harder to get info on, but they come in at like 500 grams for the arms, I think. Would definitely be a great place to shave some weight over the slightly overkill profile cranks. I think they even come in LHD....not that it really matters with the tree sprocket.

I totally spaced on the LHD MTB cranks, or lack thereof. I just really really like my saint cranks, and think they would look groovy on the Superbro.

Middleburn RS7s come in Left Hand Drive flavour. My friend is running some on his Racelink with a custom ISIS BB Eccentric without issue. Only problem is his lower chainring is slightly larger than the Profile one giving you a slightly larger theoretical front chainring. Still have more clearance though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Middleburn RS7s come in Left Hand Drive flavour. My friend is running some on his Racelink with a custom ISIS BB Eccentric without issue. Only problem is his lower chainring is slightly larger than the Profile one giving you a slightly larger theoretical front chainring. Still have more clearance though.
That's good to know! Not sure what the interface is for the sprockets on the jackshaft, but if it was something common, it could be swapped out to compensate for a larger chainring.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the saints have pedal inserts. I bet if you were crafty enough you could swap them. Could prove to be scary stuff, but if the ends of the cranks were heated or dipped in solvent, maybe the inserts could be reversed then resealed...but I have no idea how they are held in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the saints have pedal inserts. I bet if you were crafty enough you could swap them. Could prove to be scary stuff, but if the ends of the cranks were heated or dipped in solvent, maybe the inserts could be reversed then resealed...but I have no idea how they are held in.
I had a friend who once (just for s&g's), set up a LSD fixie with mtb parts. He swapped the cranks straight out, but also switched the axles in the pedals. He had issues with them coming loose (duh). In the end he said fvck it and JB welded the axle threads (into both the pedal and the crank). :weee:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I'd like to see some pics of the RS7 setup

weights not that much an issue or is it?

Gusset claims 464g for the 165mm cranks (481g/175mm)
RS7 ISIS supposedly weigh in at 416g with 175mm length without a spider

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd like to see some pics of the RS7 setup

weights not that much an issue or is it?

Gusset claims 464g for the 165mm cranks (481g/175mm)
RS7 ISIS supposedly weigh in at 416g with 175mm length without a spider
When you said ISIS, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
the bad word is not ISIS itself

its "Race Face ISIS bottom bracket" :D

oh well nevermind

whats the weight of the profile race Crank arms?

the leafcycles stuff looks nice too but i couldn't find any info whether they are available for "left hand drive train"

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the bad word is not ISIS itself

its "Race Face ISIS bottom bracket" :D

oh well nevermind

whats the weight of the profile race Crank arms?

the leafcycles stuff looks nice too but i couldn't find any info whether they are available for "left hand drive train"
Truvativ ISIS as well. I have a whole box of worthless Hussefelt crank arms and BB's that one day I'm going to build into an angry robot.

No idea on the profile arms.

As far as the leafcycles cranks go, if you opt for the tree splined sprocket, you don't need leftsidedrive cranks. Profile actually makes a set of race crank arms that are not drilled or tapped for a sprocket retaining bolt.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
ah ok thanks...

we'll see maybe somebody should mail all this info to doc so maybe we can get different options for the production silencers :)

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Tree and other companies I'm sure, make sprockets that mount on the spline not the crank arm, meaning no need for left hand drive cranks.
I ran the Profile Magnatanium(ti)cranks on my RL for a bit, not sure how long they'd last, and I'm light.
I get so excited opening this thread every time it's bumped to the top, but get bummed when there's no new info on these frames:(.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I ran the Profile Magnatanium(ti)cranks on my RL for a bit, not sure how long they'd last, and I'm light.
(.
those cranks are actually a lighter gauge steel (not ti). paired with a ti spindle might not be a bad setup. i recall kyle strait used to run them on his dh bike - perhaps not that fragile.

though i'd still be tempted to run a conventional lightweight crank using swapped / loctited spindles.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Whats the point of swapping out spindles? Unless you have a directional pedal it doesn't do anything. I'd imagine with a bit of red locktite on the pedal threads you would have no loosening issues except maybe when you need to remove pedals. A torch would probably solve that issue though. You could also drill out the spindle a bit from the backside and tap in a hole for an m3 or m4 bolt with the appropriate threading to counteract the pedaling action trying to unscrew the pedals from the cranks. Thread in the bolt and add a little washer wider that the pedal opening in the cranks and the pedal wouldn't be able to unthread.