Quantcast

Superho, good deal on new Shiver's

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

Just lettin ya know supergo (aka superho) is having a good sale on Marzocchi Shiver SC forks. Dunno if it's 2003 or 2004 (looks like 2004 from their pics). The email price was $249. I checked their site to confirm.

That seems like a pretty good deal for a new Shiver SC. I think alot of used ones go for like $200 or so and that's for a used fork. Hell I'd spend $50 for a new one at that point.

Just a heads up incase anyone is looking for a good solid single crown inverted fork that feels as good as it's big brother

My Shiver SC is fine though :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I got that ad too - the 2004's are only 4" forks - but they would make for good DJ and urban forks.

I have a 2002 Shiver SC and I really like it. Thanks again Jesus! :D

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by MMcG
I got that ad too - the 2004's are only 4" forks - but they would make for good DJ and urban forks.

I have a 2002 Shiver SC and I really like it. Thanks again Jesus! :D
i think they also dropped the ECC, and added a steel sterrer tube on the 04 aswell.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by RHmoto
Do you guys notice any flex with the SC shiver? That was always one thing about a inverted SC that seemed like it might be an issue.
yes, and it is more than a comparable standard fork.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I wonder if they use the HSCV carts still or if it's "dumb'ed down" like the rest of the fork, since it appears to be aimed at jumpers more than trail riders now.

At ~2 pounds lighter than a DirtJumper I'd definately be interested if I needed a jumping fork. The lesser torsional stiffness isn't as big an issue there, and the inverted design would rule.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by Bulldog
I wonder if they use the HSCV carts still or if it's "dumb'ed down" like the rest of the fork, since it appears to be aimed at jumpers more than trail riders now.

At ~2 pounds lighter than a DirtJumper I'd definately be interested if I needed a jumping fork. The lesser torsional stiffness isn't as big an issue there, and the inverted design would rule.
According to Marzocchi's website it uses the HSCV Check it here .

I would be all over that since I want to build up a play bike, but I have no $$$ :(

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by MMcG
but they would make for good DJ and urban forks.
I have considered getting one for a project hardtail I have planned, but the idea of scratching up the stanchions due to urban riding puts me off in a big way. I have enough problems scratching stanchions on a "normal" fork, let alone on a USD fork.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Price aside, who thinks this is a good fork in general? The HSCV damping is the same kind as the Shiver DC and the 888 series, so that bodes well, but I sometimes question the durability.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Superdeft
Price aside, who thinks this is a good fork in general? The HSCV damping is the same kind as the Shiver DC and the 888 series, so that bodes well, but I sometimes question the durability.
They are tough forks, and they are going to be mroe reliable and tougher with only 4", as opposed to my 5" one. The 4" one should also help to solve the torsional-flex problem. They are stiffer for-to-aft than other forks, but with my 5" one I can feel the "twisting" flex pretty well. It's workable for me, but I'd like less flex. The 4" 2004 version should be a good deal better in this regard. I've done some pretty abusive riding on it and it's held up great, no qualms. It's on my "trail bike", but I've done some dropping and jumping on it and it holds up great. Simple design.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Originally posted by Jm_
They are tough forks, and they are going to be mroe reliable and tougher with only 4", as opposed to my 5" one. The 4" one should also help to solve the torsional-flex problem. They are stiffer for-to-aft than other forks, but with my 5" one I can feel the "twisting" flex pretty well. It's workable for me, but I'd like less flex. The 4" 2004 version should be a good deal better in this regard. I've done some pretty abusive riding on it and it's held up great, no qualms. It's on my "trail bike", but I've done some dropping and jumping on it and it holds up great. Simple design.
Have you had problems related to having the left and right sides configured slightly differently?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Superdeft
Have you had problems related to having the left and right sides configured slightly differently?
No, but a lot of people don't know the details of how to insert and tighten the axle properly, and it makes a huge difference when you do it right, as opposed to wrong.

When you apply the brake, it does yank the wheel over to the brake side, this is visable.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Burnwood
According to the site, the Shiver SC they are selling has 118mm of travel...

It would be nice if that was correct...
I'm just opposite. For that price if it is 4" I'd be very tempted to pick one up just to have, as Marz doesn't make a tough 4" HSCV fork anymore and I've always liked it. At 4" it would make a good trail and jumping fork for me. At 5" I'll keep my Z.1 anyday.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I love my shiver. It feels great no matter what I do to it. I have it just a tad added oil and extra heavy springs in it. It feels like buttah ridding it.

I don't feel any flex. I have seen and heard people whine about flex. I have never found this to be a problem. I just ride the stupid thing and let it do it's job :)

At $250 it's cheaper I think then the Dirt Jumper series of forks and they use a completly different damping system (SSVF) I think. So you get better of all for around the same price as their entry level dirt jumping fork. I'd be on that one pretty quick. Shiver SC's are great forks.

As a trail bike fork I dunno if the 04's have the ECC or ETA whatever it is. I turn a knob and it locks the fork down to like 1" and stay's there. I turn it again and everything comes back to normal. It's a good feature for climbing.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
120mm is 4.75", I think that's the same travel as the older ones.

(they just called it a 5") I really like my '02, it's a buttery SC and the lock-down works great.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I have one of the 100mm ones and it is more flexy in some directions than a comparable weight traditional fork. Not to the extent it bothers me though.

I have not had it long enough to say if it's durable of not but it hasn't started creaking yet and the lack of an arch is great for mud clearance with big tyres.

Oh yeah I only paid $615.02 for mine :dead:

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Woah, that is such a deal!!!!
I am in the process of building up my new Santa Cruz Chameleon, I did have a pair of Psylos for it but this deal is unreal, its going to be less than a pair of Psylo SL's on Employee Purchase........the bike is going to be for trail and XC use, no DJing or street, this is my XC ride. Not a weight weenie, hate to use the term but its going to be built up as a "hardcore XC" ride, how the Shiver SCs for this?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I have the Shiver on My cortina joyride (which is built up XC/FR stuff) and it works great! Super smooth, takes hits pretty well, I got a big arse 8" rotor up front for stopping power. At one point I thought about getting a different fork that offered QR hubs since the shiver is only 20mm TA. I was pissed because you can find cheapy wheelsets in QR all over the place but a 20mm front one is gonna be harder to find a good solid quality build (say at your LBS, mine didn't have anything 20mm built up).

The travel lockout works great for climbing. It lowers the front end and makes it like a rigid fork. It is a great fork. My buddy had a pair of Psylos and I had my shivers, same bikes, and at first he was all about his Psylos until it started to leak oil etc....and that was it. Marz guy now :)

I don't think on the planet you could find a better performing 4+" travel fork for $249. No where. That is like "deal of the year" status. I loved my lil shiver so much I got a big one for my DH bike. They are just so smooth.

Cracker

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Toronto
HH, that looks like it'll do the trick. I picked up a 20mm hud laced to a Ryno Lite for $150 CDN at www.cycle-solutions.com last year. They had a bunch. BTW I love my sc shiver, its sweet. Nice trail/freeride fork.

Cheers,
G

More: HH, I weight 190 lbs, and put heavy springs and topped the oil up and its ready to rock. You shouldn't have a problem, download the manual from the US Marz site and read it carefully. There's a trick to installing the wheel.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Spunger

As a trail bike fork I dunno if the 04's have the ECC or ETA whatever it is. I turn a knob and it locks the fork down to like 1" and stay's there. I turn it again and everything comes back to normal. It's a good feature for climbing.
No, the 04s have dual HSCV carts, the 02 that I have has ECC.