Quantcast

Supplementation..Part III?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Reading the threads below got me to wondering: how many of you monkeys supplement for things other than sports / performance?

Daily, I'm taking 1500mg of potassium, and 800mg (roughly 250-350 elemental mg) of magneisium to balance out all of the sodium and calcium I get from a relatively healthy diet.

Calcium and sodium excite the muscles, while the potassium and magnesium ecectrolytes act to calm the muscle fibers. this very important balance is vastly overlooked by most Americans. We get almost NO elemental magnesium from our foods any more, and while the myth of a bananna a day is nice, you'd be chowing them all day to get almost enough to counter the massive amounts of sodium that lurk in the average diet.

I also gulp a tablespoon of flax oil in the morning, and at night for the Omegas, and lots of E, C, b-12 and other anti's.

**Disclaimer** I do have LAF (lone atrial fibrillation), which has been a real kick in the pants in so far as diet, supplementaion, exercise and rest go. But I thought I'd share what I've learned, especially since vigorous athletic activity is often a factor in the development of LAF. At some point when I have more time, I'd like to post about the battle between your sypathetic, and para-sypmathetic nervous systems, and how exercise plays a role in unbalancing them....very interesting stuff.

:monkey:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
WELCOME BACK, my friend!

Flax is excellent - IAB takes a T every day too - although he adds it to his morning protein shake. It also comes in a capsule form - for those of us who can't stand the liquid :eek:

Good to have you back!
hey there lady! its been tough to get time for the :monkey: lately. Busy...crazy...nuts...all understatements for the last few months here!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by VTinCT
Daily, I'm taking 1500mg of potassium, and 800mg (roughly 250-350 elemental mg) of magneisium to balance out all of the sodium and calcium I get from a relatively healthy diet.:monkey:
Any idea how to identify an electrolyte imbalance?? Over the last few months I have fought major fatigue despite proper rest and diet. After downing some salty pretzels one day I suddenly felt much better. I never add salt to food and have just recently starting eating better=no processed foods with added salt. I have started to add more salt to my diet and have felt better, but I wonder if am getting enough of the other electrolytes??

Originally posted by Westy
Any idea how to identify an electrolyte imbalance?? Over the last few months I have fought major fatigue despite proper rest and diet. After downing some salty pretzels one day I suddenly felt much better. I never add salt to food and have just recently starting eating better=no processed foods with added salt. I have started to add more salt to my diet and have felt better, but I wonder if am getting enough of the other electrolytes??
do you take a multivitamin?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

Flax is excellent - IAB takes a T every day too
Actually, I take an oil blend. It's a "perfect" balance of omega 3's, 6's and 9's. It's a blend of about seven different oils. From what I hear, it tastes worse than flax. But I've gotten used to it.

I also take a multi vitamin for health.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Westy
You can always ask your doc for a test (but, only 1% of the body's magnesium is stored in the blood, have a sample taken of the tissue beneath your tounge).

Sodium, calcium, potassium, and magnesium are key to proper muscle firing. In my case, it was my heart that was the tell-tale. There is so much that can go wrong when the balance is off, and considering the average diet, we're in for a rough run. If, on top of that, you add an aggressively athletic lifestyle, you get to a point where you need to supplement to keep the balance in line.

Part of the problem is that, even tho riding or working out is an outlet, it is still a "stress" on your system. So, between work, bills, relationships, and sports...life, we live in a hyper para-sypmathetic state, a state where your sysytem is always in go mode. This is where a proper balance of electrolytes can help to keep the system calm(er). But all that go-go, needs to be balanced out with some chill-chill. Let the systems relax a bit.

Okay, I got way off topic there, sorry. It is just that there is so much that factors into a balanced cardio/nervous system(s) to take into account. Vitamis E, C, B-12, Omegas 3 & 6....so much.

Before you start to up your salt (sodium) intake, figure out your average intake of the other three (calcium, potassium, mag). Do a google search on each, you'll be amazed at how much info is out there.

A good place to start is International Health News ....hope this helps.