Quantcast

Suppose it Runs like a deer and smells like a john?

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Easy bud...far from being a Southern hick, we farm 14,500 acres in Saskatchewan, farming completely runs the economy up here, grain prices dictate what local market conditions are like. You guys think your in love with your bike? You should see some of the guys around here with farm equipment

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
GeoffW said:
Easy bud...far from being a Southern hick, we farm 14,500 acres in Saskatchewan, farming completely runs the economy up here, grain prices dictate what local market conditions are like. You guys think your in love with your bike? You should see some of the guys around here with farm equipment
Hey, I hear you guys get big deer up there on the farms in Sask. Can I come up and blast one?

J

JRB

GeoffW said:
Hey that's cool, It would match my 9660 Combine, 9400 4wd, and 4710 Sprayer!
Nice - Cooter'll be glad we got another farmer. I saw my first 9560 on a truck sunday. Been a couple of years since I farmed.

J

JRB

GeoffW said:
Do you custom harvest too???

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
Hey, I hear you guys get big deer up there on the farms in Sask. Can I come up and blast one?

There's always an abundance of American's coming up here for Deer, but more so Geese. Hunting is top notch up here, so is fishing, we have more lakes in this province than Minnesota, almost 100,000 here. American Hunters are kinda funny at times, if they don't get anything, they'll stop by a game farm on the way down South and find a nice elk or moose and leave the meat but take the horns to brag back home about their kill.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
loco-gringo said:
Nice - Cooter'll be glad we got another farmer. I saw my first 9560 on a truck sunday. Been a couple of years since I farmed.
9560's are little guys, this year we took on two 9660's after we traded our 470 Lexions (Caterpillar/Klauss) in. The deere's hold their value better than anything else. Their a little slow in the barley and oats, but top notch in the wheat we find. For barley and oats, rotary suck as the NH CX's or a Gleaner work pretty good around here.

We don't do any custom harvesting, we have enoug of our own to take care of. We don't hire anyone, it's me, my brother, my dad, and mom drives Super B. Alot of work....two years ago weather was so bad up here we were combining on December 15th still, after starting on September 7th. We do custom spray though, we've got one 4710 does our own, the other my brother runs full time, when we're done, the other 4710 goes custom as well.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
do you own ur own combine or have a crew come and do it? if u do lets see some pics. And u must have a front end loder for sure.

J

JRB

GeoffW said:
9560's are little guys, this year we took on two 9660's after we traded our 470 Lexions (Caterpillar/Klauss) in. The deere's hold their value better than anything else. Their a little slow in the barley and oats, but top notch in the wheat we find. For barley and oats, rotary suck as the NH CX's or a Gleaner work pretty good around here.

We don't do any custom harvesting, we have enoug of our own to take care of. We don't hire anyone, it's me, my brother, my dad, and mom drives Super B. Alot of work....two years ago weather was so bad up here we were combining on December 15th still, after starting on September 7th. We do custom spray though, we've got one 4710 does our own, the other my brother runs full time, when we're done, the other 4710 goes custom as well.
I thought all Gleaners were rotary now. Am I wrong??? Lot's of fun to be had, but hard work and long hours. Just 2 of us farmed 1600 acres, so I can imagine. I got off the tractor late a lot.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i live next to a big dairy farm. i think cows a a little messier and harder. Up at 3 in the morning, :dead:

J

JRB

Never a dairy farmer, but cowboying was way more fun than farming.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
geoff w. thats some nice stuff. I guess you need to get to most out your acres because according to the JD site that stuff you got costs about as much as a house apice.

anyway keep Canada going, I Live in Kamloops B.C and though Im not a farmer myself alota folks here are.

but if i did want a deere under my tree this year heres whats I want 110 TLB

the city has been kind enough to donate 60 acres of pre disturbed land for a bike park and some heavy equitment will make the job go alot faster

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
loco-gringo said:
I thought all Gleaners were rotary now. Am I wrong??? Lot's of fun to be had, but hard work and long hours. Just 2 of us farmed 1600 acres, so I can imagine. I got off the tractor late a lot.
Gleaner = Galvinized Bearing Burner.

We farmed 6600 acres this year.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
About the Gleaner/NH's, sorry about the misspell, I meant to say such as the NH or Gleaner..While the Gleaners are a step behind most in terms of quality and fit and finish, they do have their place in some crops. The rotor on those things are friggin huge. We demo'd a R72 (biggest Gleaner) this past fall and found it works well in some, but the JD is a little more consistent in a wider range of crops. All of these machines have their advantages and disadvantages, just have to determine what suits you best. That being said, it sucks to gamble buying a machine worth $300,000+ and hope it works well, we did that with a sprayer this year and JD ended up taking it back because the thing was a POS.

Hopefully this pic thing works, don't have a picture of our combines, but found one of our seeding unit. We've been running this 9400 with a Bourgault 53' air seeder, our other unit is a CIH STX450 Quadtrac that pulls about 64' of drill.
...Can't get the pic sized small enough to show, I'll have to resize it at home tonight then I'll post