Quantcast

Supreme Court rejects Ten Commandments monument appeal

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
In unanimous decision by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary, Judge Moore was found to be in violation of the Alabama Canons of Judicial Ethics and as a result was removed from office.

The actually ruling.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/111303_moore.pdf

A quote from it:

"We respect and hold in high regard the right of every American citizen to express his or her views. However, when an individual, especially a judge, undertakes a position of civil authority, that person must conform his or her conduct in the exercise of public duties according to the established rules of law and accepted rules of ethics."

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by SuzyCreamcheese
Religious extremism and literal translations of the texts are not exclusive to any faith.

The Cheese
The Matthew Shephard business has as much to do with religion as the colour of my socks. It's about bigotism and predujice practised by someone who sees religion as an excuse. Whatever happened to God is Love etc.

And for people who feel it's OK to have christian monuments (oddly enough the ten commandments are more precisely Judiac as Christ (at the very least) implied their replacement with his all-encompassing love thy neighbour as thyself), they should therefore tolerate monuments of any/all other religions in the same places.

Any democracy worth the name has to respect the wishes of the minority as well as those of the majority. That the monument does not harm anyone is irrelevant, its presence is objected to by some and the space left by it hurts no one and is somewhat harder to object to.

Waste of tax payers money it is.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by MMike
Weird how I always seem to agree with brock...
Have the two of you ever been seen in public together?

Or is Brock an online manifestation of the imaginary friend that you fell out with a couple of years ago?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
[B
I think instead of swearing on a bible we should all say "....cross my heart and hope to die" :) [/B]
I think you have a good point there. After all what does swearing on a bible signify if you are not a believer?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by fluff
And for people who feel it's OK to have christian monuments (oddly enough the ten commandments are more precisely Judiac as Christ (at the very least) implied their replacement with his all-encompassing love thy neighbour as thyself), they should therefore tolerate monuments of any/all other religions in the same places.
The very point of all of this was that NO monument to ANY religion should be allowed on or in government property. Having multiple monuments to multiple religious beliefs is absolutely no better than having one.

Originally posted by RhinofromWA
I would also like to point out that yanking it out and making a big deal out of it you are envoking your religion/beliefs on the process and I guess on the courts as you have eluded to. So I say what is being done is illegal. Hmmmm, there is something to about.....
No that's not the case. Doing so is fulfilling the requirements of the law that it shouldn't have been there in the first place and a Federal Court order.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by DRB
The very point of all of this was that NO monument to ANY religion should be allowed on or in government property. Having multiple monuments to multiple religious beliefs is absolutely no better than having one.
Quran displayed at NYPD headquarters
i would expect this in Detroit, but not NYC.
the rest