Quantcast

Supreme Court should issue historic gun rights decision Wed

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Decision should come today...

One momentous case down, another equally historic decision to go. The Supreme Court returns to the bench Monday with 17 cases still unresolved, including its first-ever comprehensive look at the Second Amendment's right to bear arms.

The guns case — including Washington, D.C.'s ban on handguns — is widely expected to be a victory for supporters of gun rights. Top officials of a national gun control organization said this week that they expect the handgun ban to be struck down, but they are hopeful other gun regulations will survive.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Backs up what I was saying in Atomicdouchenozzles deleted thread. Elected officials have little to do with gun law, it is in the constitution and is most often a Supreme Court decision.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Backs up what I was saying in Atomicdouchenozzles deleted thread. Elected officials have little to do with gun law, it is in the constitution and is most often a Supreme Court decision.
well, i know most kids dont get it, but there are 3 equal branches of government.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
well, i know most kids dont get it, but there are 3 equal branches of government.
I just hate single issue voters, one side or the other. Especially since most of those issues are pretty much all locked up into Consitutional law and unless an ammendment it added little can change.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I just hate single issue voters, one side or the other. Especially since most of those issues are pretty much all locked up into Consitutional law and unless an ammendment it added little can change.

Oh boy are you a college professor or something? What are you saying there exactly?

So, you must love that douce song they play over & over again on classic rock radio_Obsessed with the douce are ya!

http://www.gunblast.com/060705-Newsmax.htm

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SECOND AMENDMENT LIVES... Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg... decision is not clouded by ambiguity created by separate opinions. One opinion on each side....

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/

Answering a 127-year old constitutional question, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to have a gun, at least in one’s home. The Court, splitting 5-4, struck down a District of Columbia ban on handgun possession.

Justice Antonin Scalia’s opinion for the majority stressed that the Court was not casting doubt on long-standing bans on gun possession by felons or the mentally retarded, or laws barring guns from schools or government buildings, or laws putting conditions on gun sales.

Last edited:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:cheers:

Court rules in favor of Second Amendment gun right
By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court says Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

The court's 5-4 ruling strikes down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision goes further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.

The court had not conclusively interpreted the Second Amendment since its ratification in 1791. The amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The basic issue for the justices was whether the amendment protects an individual's right to own guns no matter what, or whether that right is somehow tied to service in a state militia.

Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for four colleagues, said the Constitution does not permit "the absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the home."

In dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority "would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."

He said such evidence "is nowhere to be found."