Quantcast

Supreme Court tells Chicago to suck it!

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by manimal, Jun 28, 2010.

1. $tinkle

$tinkle Expert on blowing

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    well then, if that's the application, then all we have to do is find what's convenient to support our pet causes, and where inconvenient, dismiss the document out of "consideration of the time it was written in". (cf 2 timothy 4:3-4)

oh, and eve picked the fruit herself. a talking snake doesn't have hands. that would be weird.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 2gungho

2gungho Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    A bun on guns in Chicago in any major city is a joke. In every major city there are cells of domestic terrorists, and yes they are terrorists because they terrorize the public.

These thugs laugh at the criminal justice system. When they enter prison it is like a re union with thier associates already incarcerated. Until going to prison is not a right of passage there will be gang violence. If they don't have a gun they have a shank.

The FBI and NSA have looked at having drones over major cities that will pinpoint the orgin of gunfire.

3. manimal

manimal Ociffer Tackleberry

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 14
    we've had the technology in place for years...it's called "spent casings". find empty shell casings and you have found the origin of gunfire ;)

4. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,884
    Revolvers?

5. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    you don't watch much BET, do you?

6. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,884
    Like I mentioned before, local gun laws do not work as it is so easy to just purchase a gun somewhere where the laws are lax. I like NY state's gun laws. You need a permit to own a handgun, every legal handgun is linked to a permit. Permits aren't easy to get but any law abiding citizen can get one.

7. manimal

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 14
    damn...good point.

but then again, what exactly is a UAV going to do?

Clerk at 7-11 to 911 operator: i think i just heard a gunshot outside in the parking lot

UAV to 911 call center: CONFIRMED GUNSHOT IN 7-11 PARKING LOT

is it going to track who shot it? solve an attempted murder? seems a bit unnecessary to me.

8. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel There is no Justice!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    "Enemy UAV on-line."

9. worship_mud

worship_mud Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 2
    as an non-american i have a question: i read in this article in a german newspaper, that there are 13.000 people per year shot in the US.
    is that true??? that would be roughly two times the number of allied casualties in the iraqi and afghan WAR together from 2001 to 2010....

10. MMike

MMike A fowl peckerwood.

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 84
    just think how there would be if they didn't have guns to defend themselves.....

11. X3pilot

X3pilot Texans fan - LOL

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Nit picker!!!

So, I assume you believe that there was no intent on the Constitution being a living document?

12. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    yeah, but they're mostly bourgeois. if they didn't get shot here they make the 2nd cut for iraq & afghanistan. and if they make it through *that*, they come back here & shoot people, sometimes themselves.
    *finally*, a voice of reason
    when i went to the nat'l archives, i didn't see an asterisk anywhere on the document. maybe nicholas cage didn't put the original one back?

13. 1453

1453 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

if the Germans really cared they can take some of the urban dwellers off our hands here and everyone's happy. And they can take back some of the awesome Germanic people they couldn't feed back in the day as well.

14. Pesqueeb

Pesqueeb bicycle in airplane hangar

Rep/Likes:
    440 / 3,234
    Wait a sec. So you think gun violence isn't bad because if they didn't get shot in the hood they were going to die on the battle field anyway? And people accuse me of having no faith in humanity. :rolleyes:

#94 -   Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  15. Andyman_1970

Andyman_1970 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 5
    How dare you bring the consideration of context into the discussion.....:rolleyes:

16. X3pilot

X3pilot Texans fan - LOL

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    So, still want to stick with your assertion that it is a document intended to be interpreted strictly in the context at the time of writing?

Wait, yeah, knowing you, yeah you would.

17. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    seeing how my view of the constitution is that it's timeless, interpretation shouldn't be first influenced by the latest social mores; that's my point

the concept of a living document [to me] means it could be interpreted to the point of abuse. in fact, it should be expected, esp when it's so easy to dismiss it due any "time contextual inconveniences"

maybe we're talking past each other here, but it seems to me you logic would permit you to give equal footing on 2 mutually exclusive & dualing opinions - one favoring the constitution, and one favoring the advancement of the latest political agenda

18. X3pilot

X3pilot Texans fan - LOL

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Well, in that case, we're safe from Palin or Clinton (vagina version) running on the 2012 ticket..

19. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    if you believe for a second i don't regard amendments as part of the constitution, you'd have to believe i don't understand what 'amendment' means.

which you are free to do.
    it's your right, but not a constitutionally protected one

20. X3pilot

X3pilot Texans fan - LOL

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    No, I'm simply saying that the Constitution has to be interpreted based on current realities. And I think the framers knew this too. They spoke in their corespondences about the effect on perpetuality, future of mankind, etc. They knew that if this were to be a timeless document, that future generations of the 3 branches would have to use it as a tool to guide and develop the nation.

21. X3pilot

X3pilot Texans fan - LOL

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    So, we agree that it is a document subject to change, evolution and interpretation. We were talking past each other..

22. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    cool.

ok, you gaiz can have the thread back...

23. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,392
  24. manimal

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 14
    eff that bastard..i'm looking forward to the ultimate irony in headlines when he takes one to the face from an "illegal" gun that sneaks through his smokescreen of "safety" during a home invasion.

on a good note:

can i get a hell yeah!!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7087082.html

Harris County deputy's son shoots one of two intruders
    15 year old teen..cops kid, no less, obviously trained in firearm use/safety. i love stories like this because it solidifies my belief in teaching my kids about guns/safety/self-defense.

:thumb: :thumb:

(couple years ago...)

:D

25. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
  26. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,884
  27. FlyinPolack

FlyinPolack Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Awesome story! That's exactly why I taught my daughter to shoot. It's a skill that I hope she never needs to employ, but at least she can if need be. :thumb:
    **** Daley, the ignorant SOB..
    With all of the emoticons on this site, why no USA flag? You guys commies or sumpin?

28. FlyinPolack

FlyinPolack Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

No, the price of stupidity. & he'll have to live with it his whole life...

29. Straya

Straya Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 3
    Freedom to be stupid?

30. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    i just threw up

if that happened to me, i'd probably eat the gun tonight

31. FlyinPolack

FlyinPolack Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Exxacly

32. manimal

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 14
    yeah..accidents suck..that's why they're called "accidents":

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/01/2309162/arlington-boys-near-drowning-brings.html

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/03/officials-boy-3-died-poisoning/

http://www.wxow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12150639

perhaps we should try to ban pools, household cleaning chemicals, and bathing too?

33. FlyinPolack

FlyinPolack Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
  34. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Way to totally miss the point. Since I'm too lazy to get out the crayolas and sketch it out for you, I'll just bluntly say it:

Taking an anecdotal story about guns with the outcome you like and dismissing bad outcomes as accidents is full retard.

35. TickTock

TickTock Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Sheep, wolf, sheepdog. Pick one.

Sheep dont like sheepdogs...they look just like wolves and have sharp teeth but the sheep are simply too stupid to know the difference.

Sheepdogs walk among the sheep and occasionaly encounter wolves and send them packing, but are not accepted by the sheep because they are scary looking and look like wolves.

Wolves eat sheep.

36. TickTock

TickTock Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Taking an anecdotal story about guns and the negative outcome you like and dismissing good outcomes as meaningless is full retard.

37. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Which I wasn't doing. I was critiquing manimal's debating tactics. Thanks for showing up.

38. BurlyShirley

BurlyShirley Rex Grossman Will Rise Again

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    If wolves represent gays, are the sheepdogs supposed to represent trannys? And what's with f*cking all the sheep? What is this, New Zealand?

F*cking gross dude.

39. TickTock

TickTock Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Sorry, I didnt realize you were still too busy claiming that the intent of the 2nd amendment now doesnt realistically apply to defending against the government. Unfortunately, history itself provides us with two hard facts regarding this:
    1. If our forefathers shared your attitude, they'd have agreed with you and never dared to fight back against a larger, more regulated and armed British government.
    2. Since they were not pussies, fought back, and won...one of the first things they did was write an amendement to a document that would ensure the right to do exactly what they had just done "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

What you forget is that the government you claim citizens can simply not defend itself against has one force to strongarm the citizens with and that is their army. The army is composed of those same citizens that we are talking about and they take an oath to defend the consitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic. This includes the government itself.

So while personal protection is the most commonly used part of this basic right, the ability to defend against the government was, is and will continue to be the cornerstone of what the 2A is about. Without it , everything else in that document is just a lick and a promise. Do you really want to be like the poor folks in the UK, completely pussified and made into victims-waiting-to-happen by their government?

40. FlyinPolack

FlyinPolack Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Well said.
    The bleeding heart liberals would like to see only criminals & tyrants having guns. We would be truly screwed if that were the case.