Quantcast

Surf in Secret: Cover your tracks while online

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I've heard good things about GhostSurf...

Surfing in Secret
ExtremeTech | Wed Dec 22 | Michael Fitzgerald

A famous cartoon from the early days of the Internet featured a dog surfing his computer with the caption, "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog."

That cartoon implied a level of anonymity that doesn't really exist online. You might tell your online pals you aren't a dog, but it doesn't take much work for someone to figure out you visit puppylove.com, have "Cat Marauder" on your Amazon wish list and spend a lot of time in the DogzChew chatroom.

Now, you might be thinking that in truth, no one cares if you're a dog. In fact, at a holiday party, a friend of mine asked me why GhostSurf, a software package that helps you shield your online privacy, was a selling point for his new PC. He didn't think he was doing anything interesting online. Except shopping, checking out various types of news sites, sending e-mail to clients and letting his kids check out their favorite sites. All of these things could prove very interesting, if not to governments and marketers then to bored geeks and more malicious types.

Read More: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ttzd/20041222/tc_techtues_zd/141557&cid=1739&ncid=1729