Quantcast

surf is up. WAY up

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
cool. it's nice to know in some twisted sense that "rogue waves" aren't just a figment of overly creative writers' imaginations...

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
think that is bad?? check these waves out, and what going on with em....HERE AND HERE AND HERE AGAIN AND FIANALY A VIDEO

Hopefully that last link and its videos work for everyone. Also, if you have a subscription to National Geographic check out the November 1998 issue, it has a huge pullout picture of a wave, it takes up three pages, its just.... just like DAMN!!!!!!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I watched a show on surfing Mavericks last night on OLN. Sick, sick, sick!!! Along those same line, check out "Riding Giants" if you get a chance. I've benn up on a board a few times on 4 footers, but can't even fathom some of the stuff those guys ride.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
jaws is huge. but its not the biggest place. wait until some big wave surfers get wind of a huge swell heading toward cortes bank which is around 100 miles off the coast of california i believe. that is the only place that can provide a rideable 100 foot wave. also, according to the numbers, cortes bank can handle a wave up to 1000 feet on the face.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
on the way back from my first med cruise, we were skirting the perimeter of a big low pressure system just west of the straights of gibaltar (sp?). at one point during the night we caught a rogue wave on the starboard side. it was so big it crushed a motor whale boat up into the overhead of the davit, burst a door inward past its hinges, and almost every head on the starboard side of the ship that was up against the hull had cracked mirrors. oh did i mention this was on a nimitz class carrier? i can't imagine how big it must have been but i slept like a baby through the whole thing...