Quantcast

surfing issues at home :(

Here's the deal - I have SBCYahoo DSL and recently moved to a house with only 2 phone jacks. so I decided to get a wireless network card for my desktop, to use with my existing (and working) Linksys BEFSX41 Router and Wireless access point. I should add that I have always been using a wireless laptop and a wired desktop - both of which worked great.

Since I installed the wireless card, and upgraded the firmware on both the router and access point, I can surf some sites but not others. For example, I can get to fourms (like this one) and google, but not cnn.com or hotmail.

After I did some research, I thought it was an MTU issue. So I figured out what it should be and I enabled it on the router. That didn't help.

If I connect using the sbc software, I have no issues at all - except of course the one of not being behind the firewall.

any ideas??

THANKS!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
hmm.. ok well I was just being a smartass.

Even though the firewall settings haven't changed, did you do an update to the firewall product itself? I do not have any experience with home firewalls, but I do know that every time we update our office firewall product there is an updated list of sites that are blocked. (usually well warranted). I am just wondering if it is a similar issue.

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
hmm.. ok well I was just being a smartass.

Even though the firewall settings haven't changed, did you do an update to the firewall product itself? I do not have any experience with home firewalls, but I do know that every time we update our office firewall product there is an updated list of sites that are blocked. (usually well warranted). I am just wondering if it is a similar issue.

I will double check the settings when I get home but my firewall is set to only deny incoming requests.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
That would be pretty crappy if their product does that. I understand why our's at work does that. (It is a part of the service we pay for).

Good luck